Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you go to sell beloved-but-not needed gear?

Where do you go to sell beloved-but-not needed gear?

What do you think is the best place to sell your gear?
    In my experience, eBay is a great way to get scant advertising exposure, Craig's List is a great way to get in touch with overseas scammers, and Reverb is a great way to haggle with a bunch of unmotivated chiselers.

What has been your experience in selling nice gear for a fair price, without the headache?

reverb.com

the fees are incredibly low compared to eBay. I do list on Craig's List, but most thinks sell on reverb faster and easier. For me, at least.

Plus, I tend to price everything a few dollars less than everyone else, so the stuff actually moves out the door.
    Click for my band

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Valentine Satin Natural #G77122 (8/26/16)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

I've always had the best luck on Craigslist (or Kijiji here in Canada). But I'm in a big city, so that helps.

I've sold on all, I just sold a guitar on Reverb, but happened upon a buyer via FailBook. They were looking for what I had, so I messaged the guy he bought it the next day. Craigslist, but only local and I hear you the Nigerian scammers.

Good luck, Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

I just purchased a guitar on Reverb and I was haggle free, as I asked for a close up picture of the frets, and once the seller replied, I immediately paid asking price / NTM Reflex thread to open soon.... With that said, all my other purchases on Reverb have been the same with maybe one question then asking price paid / that sight for now seems the best IMO.

As for me I tend to give gear away to younger players or buddies or just have Guitar Center give me a check on the spot.

I've had wonderful experience with both Reverb and this forum. EBMM users are the best.
    BFR Axis Quilt Amethyst Burst 12/17/2008
    JP Majesty Arctic Dream 04/17/2014
    Stingray 4H Pacific Blue Burst 09/04/2014
    Axis Super Sport Semi Hollow w/Piezo Black Cherry Burst 09/08/2015
    Albert Lee SSS Pacific Blue Burst 09/22/2015
    JP7 Mystic Dream 01/30/2017

I've had great experiences on Reverb buying and selling. eBay has been a mixed bag. As a buyer, I've noticed the descriptions on eBay tend to be a little less accurate. I've never gotten anything but scams on Craigslist and super lowball trade offers on Facebook. (I'm really interested in your Monarchy Majesty. I've got a First Act and a 10-watt Line 6 amp, would you trade for either? )
    Last edited by spychocyco; 04-22-2018 at 07:33 PM.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis Super Sport Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black
    A half-dozen pawn shop beaters no one cares about

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by spychocyco View Post
    (I'm really interested in your Monarchy Majesty. I've got a First Act and a 10-watt Line 6 amp, would you trade for either? )
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, OMG really, you must have been like, "SAY WHAT???".

Wow sorry to hear that, Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

Reverb.com
    At this point in time there are mostly decent people who get in touch with you and the items I sold went for reasonable prices (don't know how this will develop but for now all is good).
    The fees are really low in comparison to evil bay and payments can be made in various manners (PayPal, Credit Cards etc.).

EBMM L III Starry Night - DOB: Dec 16, 2016
    The Heritage H-150 25th Anniversary
    Tommy's Special Guitars Strat, custom made
    Mesa Boogie Mark V Head
    Mesa 1x 12" Wide Body Cab
    Boss Katana 100 1x 12" Combo
    Line6 Relay G30 Wireless Guitar System

TC electronic Flashback Delay
    MXR Analog Chorus
    Xotic SP Compressor
    Xotic RC Booster
    Ernie Ball RPS Hybrid Slinky Strings 0.09- 0.46
    [/I]

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, OMG really, you must have been like, "SAY WHAT???".

Wow sorry to hear that, Glenn |B)
    Well, that wasn't a real offer, just a slightly exaggerated example, but not by much. Every time I've posted anything on Facebook, I get a flood of offers of junk in trade and nothing else.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis Super Sport Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black
    A half-dozen pawn shop beaters no one cares about

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by spychocyco View Post
    Well, that wasn't a real offer, just a slightly exaggerated example, but not by much. Every time I've posted anything on Facebook, I get a flood of offers of junk in trade and nothing else.
    I haven't done the FailBook thing, but I do review those threads and if someone is looking for something I have I point them to it on Reverb.

Glenn |B)

For me, Reverb left a bad taste in my mouth after I listed an offset mustang for the lowest price that I would take. I got messaged by many people, but they all wanted to chisel me down for seemingly insignificant amounts (Like 10$). I didn't take any offers, because I was a little offended by the disregard the potential buyers had for the "List price is final" written in my description.

I suppose I should have listed it for more than I wanted so people could have felt like they won out on a negotiation.

Quote Originally Posted by silverman View Post
    For me, Reverb left a bad taste in my mouth after I listed an offset mustang for the lowest price that I would take. I got messaged by many people, but they all wanted to chisel me down for seemingly insignificant amounts (Like 10$). I didn't take any offers, because I was a little offended by the disregard the potential buyers had for the "List price is final" written in my description.

I suppose I should have listed it for more than I wanted so people could have felt like they won out on a negotiation.
    I sold another brand and I got a bunch of lower offers I had it listed at a fair price and decided if doesn’t sell then I’ll just keep it I’m not giving it away. The art of the deal to tell people I scored this for way less than the guy was asking.

I hear you about how it works, but I’ll take Reverb over EvilBay any day.

Glenn |B)

I have a bunch of Music Man basses that I have just listed. Right now I have them on Reverb and a few Facebook pages. I was going to post them also on this forum but can’t get pics to load on here for some reason?

Quote Originally Posted by JayDawg View Post
    I have a bunch of Music Man basses that I have just listed. Right now I have them on Reverb and a few Facebook pages. I was going to post them also on this forum but canít get pics to load on here for some reason?
    Jay are you trying to PhotoBucket? If so, you have to pay in order to be able to post them places I dumped my account after almost 20 years.

Glenn |B)