Ernie Ball Prodigy Picks

Thread: Is it possible that my stock JP7 BFR has split coil on the neck pickup?

User Info Menu

Question Is it possible that my stock JP7 BFR has split coil on the neck pickup?

I just realize, after almost 2 years with my lefty JP7 BFR Koa (built in 2016) that if I push/pull the tone control with the pickup selector in neck position the sound changes..like if it splits the neck pickup if I pull it.

This obviously works in central position also, but not in bridge position.

Bad wiring? Special feature? New wiring?

Thanks

User Info Menu

I would think that a coil split switch would work regardless of the position the selector is in, though the control diagram doesn't show the tone control doing anything when using anything but position 2.

Is everything definitely hum free when the coil split isn't engaged?
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

The wiring of the BFR/JP toggle switch should provide the following, and the push/pull switch should only change what happens in the middle position. Please note that the earliest BFR JPs had the push/pull in the opposite configuration

Down position
    1 - Bridge all coils
    2 - Both humbuckers all coils
    3 - Neck all coils

Up position
    1 - Bridge all coils
    2 - inside coil from each humbucker
    3 - Neck all coils

You can test the coils by plugging in and switching to the neck pickup, then gently tapping the pole pieces with something magnetic (like a screwdriver). You should hear a notable THUNK when contact is made (you can put some masking tape on the pickup to avoid scratching it). If you don't hear a thunk then the coil is most likely not on.
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://www.DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDuBaldo View Post
    The wiring of the BFR/JP toggle switch should provide the following, and the push/pull switch should only change what happens in the middle position. Please note that the earliest BFR JPs had the push/pull in the opposite configuration

Down position
    1 - Bridge all coils
    2 - Both humbuckers all coils
    3 - Neck all coils

Up position
    1 - Bridge all coils
    2 - inside coil from each humbucker
    3 - Neck all coils

You can test the coils by plugging in and switching to the neck pickup, then gently tapping the pole pieces with something magnetic (like a screwdriver). You should hear a notable THUNK when contact is made (you can put some masking tape on the pickup to avoid scratching it). If you don't hear a thunk then the coil is most likely not on.
    I did what you said and it definitely activates the inner coil alone.

Do you think it's a bad wiring or a voluntary act? Maybe from the seller? I bought this guitar from Willcutt Guitars.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

At a quick glance the wiring appears correct. I would recommend contacting customer service directly 866-823-2255
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://www.DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band