Straps 2020

Thread: New Cutlass RS SSS - Anyone else find they need to turn the Tone down?

User Info Menu

New Cutlass RS SSS - Anyone else find they need to turn the Tone down?

This is quite possibly the brightest guitar I've ever played (a title my swamp ash / maple top / maple neck Suhr Modern used to hold). Anyone else find they need to turn the tone control down to keep the ear bleed at a minimum, especially on the bridge pickup? I'm trying to determine if I have a bad buffer circuit or not as it seems a bit off compared to all my other guitars with single coils. Swapped out a few different Duracell 9v batteries just to be sure.

User Info Menu

I just keep the Bright switch on my amplifier disengaged as well as the treble knob at about 11 o'clock. My favorite guitar right now for sure.

The artist formerly known as "radrock"
    Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

You can always tame brightness but you just can't add it if it's not there to begin with...
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

I have an SSS Cutlass as well (Vintage Turquoise). I find the bridge pickup especially bright as well. I'm running it through my JP2C. I like to use the clean channel with the gain at about 2 oclock and the mid control up higher as well. Lately I've been putting my Xotic Soul Driven pedal in front. Nice blues tone. I don't find myself using the bridge pickup by itself very much. I do love the out of phase sound of the bridge and middle together.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    EBMM Artisan Majesty 7 Nero
    EBMM Majesty 6 Arctic Dream
    EBMM Monarchy Majesty 6 Imperial Blue
    EBMM JP6 BFR Solar Burst
    EBMM JP16 6
    EBMM Cutlass SSS Turquoise
    Taylor 414CE
    Mesa Boogie JP2C