The Vault

Thread: Question about pickups/Silent Circuit in Cutlass SSS...

User Info Menu

Question Question about pickups/Silent Circuit in Cutlass SSS...

Hello all,

First-time poster here and I joined to ask this question, so sorry if I'm asking something that's been asked a million times already... I've played the Cutlass SSS and I really like it, however I've never played a guitar before that required a battery for the pickups. I know it's to power the Silent Circuit, but my question is how long does the battery last, meaning how often do you change out your battery? What happens as the battery dies out? Do the pickups sound bad as the battery wears out? Can you play the guitar without the battery? Thanks for the help.

User Info Menu

You can;t play it with out the battery, but it lasts a heck of a long time (can;t recall the number of hours offhand). Just don't leave it pluggedin when not playing as that will keep the battery running
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Ivory White
    Cutlass RS HSS - Firemist Silver
    Cutlass Hunter Hayes - Lake Tahoe Blue
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsantos11 View Post
    Hello all,

First-time poster here and I joined to ask this question, so sorry if I'm asking something that's been asked a million times already... I've played the Cutlass SSS and I really like it, however I've never played a guitar before that required a battery for the pickups. I know it's to power the Silent Circuit, but my question is how long does the battery last, meaning how often do you change out your battery? What happens as the battery dies out? Do the pickups sound bad as the battery wears out? Can you play the guitar without the battery? Thanks for the help.
    The battery will last 200+ hours of play time. That is plugged in time, the battery is draining when a cable is plugged into the input jack of the guitar (even if the amp is off).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PeterVV View Post
    The battery will last 200+ hours of play time. That is plugged in time, the battery is draining when a cable is plugged into the input jack of the guitar (even if the amp is off).
    Thanks for the reply. How do you know it's time to change the battery? Do the pickups all of a sudden just sound bad, or is it a slow taper to the point where just don't sound right anymore?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsantos11 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. How do you know it's time to change the battery? Do the pickups all of a sudden just sound bad, or is it a slow taper to the point where just don't sound right anymore?
    I change the battery every 4 months max, and mark the date I change it in marker on the battery.
    Assuming its the only guitar you play, and you play it for 10 hours a week, its going to last 20 weeks, i.e. 4 months. Most people wont play 10 hours a week in reality, a lot have other guitars that get used.