Ernie Ball Cables
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Luke Tumescent - Incoming

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    19

    Luke Tumescent - Incoming

    i have to say that i'm not really sure what to expect ... i don't know much about MM guitars but the Luke Tumescent model has been eating me alive... i love the way it looks and the sounds in the videos I've seen, plus the features (body/neck wood, finish, ebony fingerboard, frets, neck binding, on board boost).

    so... I've got one incoming... should be here next week. again, i simply don't know what to expect... some say the body is too small (even though this model seems to have a bit larger body than before), some say the neck is too small, i simply don't know what to expect. i'm excited but, at the same time, it's hard to get too excited because of not knowing what to expect.

    but anyway folks... It's on the way. i'll say one thing... whether it works out for me or not, it's one of the more visually stunning guitars I've seen in a long time. it really is beautiful... so i'm looking forward to seeing it up close for that. hopefully, it meets my expectations in other areas as well.

    we'll see!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by moozak View Post
    i have to say that i'm not really sure what to expect ... i don't know much about MM guitars but the Luke Tumescent model has been eating me alive... i love the way it looks and the sounds in the videos I've seen, plus the features (body/neck wood, finish, ebony fingerboard, frets, neck binding, on board boost).

    so... I've got one incoming... should be here next week. again, i simply don't know what to expect... some say the body is too small (even though this model seems to have a bit larger body than before), some say the neck is too small, i simply don't know what to expect. i'm excited but, at the same time, it's hard to get too excited because of not knowing what to expect.

    but anyway folks... It's on the way. i'll say one thing... whether it works out for me or not, it's one of the more visually stunning guitars I've seen in a long time. it really is beautiful... so i'm looking forward to seeing it up close for that. hopefully, it meets my expectations in other areas as well.

    we'll see!
    Congrats! Love mine!!!

    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    ---

    Luke 1 - Pearl Red
    Luke 1 - Pearl Blue
    Luke 2 - Pearl Purple
    Luke 2 - Black Sparkle
    Luke 2 - PDN Green Sparkle
    Luke 2 - BFR Trans Purple Quilt
    Luke 2 - PDN Starry Night
    Luke 2 - PDN Starry Night (MH)
    Luke 2 - BFR Island Burst
    Luke 2 - Dargie Delight 1
    Luke 2 - Sapphire Black
    Luke 2 - Sledge
    Luke 2 - Red Pearl
    Luke 2 - BFR True Gold
    Luke 2 - True Gold (MH)
    Luke 2 - Carbon Blue Pearl
    Luke 3 - PDN Tumescent

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Red Rock Country
    Posts
    4,954
    Quote Originally Posted by MM Luke View Post
    Congrats! Love ALL mine!!!


    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Fixed!
    KEITH
    FAMOUSLY SNARKY SINCE 2003

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    375
    I really want a Tumescent in HSS. I may have to sell my PDN Morse and find one.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by jlbasscatcher View Post
    I really want a Tumescent in HSS. I may have to sell my PDN Morse and find one.
    The one I have incoming is HSS. I like that combination... I also have a Tyler Studio Elite with HSS

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by moozak View Post
    The one I have incoming is HSS. I like that combination... I also have a Tyler Studio Elite with HSS
    I picked one up just over a week ago and although I'm a bit of a lurker on here I've been meaning to do a NGD post, but need to take some decent pix first.

    Like you since I first saw the the Tumescent the urge to get one just didn't go away. I've had an HH L3 for about 10 months, but the ebony board and pure white binding were something i really wanted, plus being all mahogany it would tick another tonal box.

    So a number of things conveniently lined up at once and I find myself with the opportunity to get an HH Tumescent, which is the finest guitar I've ever laid my hands on.

    I was concerned the painted neck wouldn't have the silkiness of the unfinished EB necks but it's so smooth you couldn't tell the difference with your eyes shut. It's also considerably lighter than the alder L3.

    I've only rehearsed with it once so have yet to dial it in, but as yet the tone of my alder L3 is still the best, however to be fair, I've been playing that guitar and gradually tweaking my amp settings to get it just right for almost a year. It did cross my mind that as the Transition pickups were designed for the original L3 it makes sense that they sound so right in that guitar, but the Tumescent still sounds killer. I used it for Sweet Child O Mine and the neck pickup nails the Les Paul tone.

    In summary you will not be disappointed, a truly wonderful guitar, and for me a perfect fit. I'm 6 foot and it doesn't feel too small, it just feels right. I know the Luke profile isn't for everyone, but for me it's the most comfortable neck I've ever played. I'd say give yourself a few weeks to get used to it as initially it felt cramped to me, but now i can switch between guitars with no problems.

    When I took it out the case at rehearsal last week the whole band were drooling over it... even the drummer!

    Congratulations, I'm sure you'll love it.
    Last edited by Davus PG; 05-06-2018 at 02:11 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Red Rock Country
    Posts
    4,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Davus PG View Post
    -Snip-

    When I took it out the case at rehearsal last week the whole band were drooling over it... even the drummer!
    .
    To be fair to the drummer, don't they tend to drool all hours of the day?
    They're drummers
    KEITH
    FAMOUSLY SNARKY SINCE 2003

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Davus PG View Post
    I picked one up just over a week ago and although I'm a bit of a lurker on here I've been meaning to do a NGD post, but need to take some decent pix first.

    Like you since I first saw the the Tumescent the urge to get one just didn't go away. I've had an HH L3 for about 10 months, but the ebony board and pure white binding were something i really wanted, plus being all mahogany it would tick another tonal box.

    So a number of things conveniently lined up at once and I find myself with the opportunity to get an HH Tumescent, which is the finest guitar I've ever laid my hands on.

    I was concerned the painted neck wouldn't have the silkiness of the unfinished EB necks but it's so smooth you couldn't tell the difference with your eyes shut. It's also considerably lighter than the alder L3.

    I've only rehearsed with it once so have yet to dial it in, but as yet the tone of my alder L3 is still the best, however to be fair, I've been playing that guitar and gradually tweaking my amp settings to get it just right for almost a year. It did cross my mind that as the Transition pickups were designed for the original L3 it makes sense that they sound so right in that guitar, but the Tumescent still sounds killer. I used it for Sweet Child O Mine and the neck pickup nails the Les Paul tone.

    In summary you will not be disappointed, a truly wonderful guitar, and for me a perfect fit. I'm 6 foot and it doesn't feel too small, it just feels right. I know the Luke profile isn't for everyone, but for me it's the most comfortable neck I've ever played. I'd say give yourself a few weeks to get used to it as initially it felt cramped to me, but now i can switch between guitars with no problems.

    When I took it out the case at rehearsal last week the whole band were drooling over it... even the drummer!

    Congratulations, I'm sure you'll love it.
    Very nice post... thank you! Well, unless it gets delayed the package is due in tomorrow so... we'll see!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by kbaim View Post
    To be fair to the drummer, don't they tend to drool all hours of the day?
    They're drummers
    Haha, very true, although he also managed to string a few words together to say how amazing it was.

    Been playing the Tumescent this morning, a few tweaks to the amp and it sounds superb.

    Can't see myself not wanting to play this all the time. I have 9 other very nice guitars including Suhrs, Gibsons and Fenders, but for the first time I'm of the opinion that I could let them go after all and not miss them in the slightest. Am thinking that with a Cutlass HB and possibly a Valentine - as I'm curious about the tonal possibilities - I'd have practically every base covered.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    56
    Luke Tumescent - Incoming-4e7d5503-93f3-4ee7-9d99-c05206a395e2-jpgHere is mine. Best version of the Luke models i think, congrats!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,034
    What exactly does the finish look like? Is it a stain? Does it change based on the viewing angle?
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Christer View Post
    Luke Tumescent - Incoming-4e7d5503-93f3-4ee7-9d99-c05206a395e2-jpgHere is mine. Best version of the Luke models i think, congrats!

    very nice!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    19
    Well, it seems the guitar won’t be delivered until the 9th... so a bit of extra waiting yet to do!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    19
    well... it was SUPPOSED to be delivered yesterday. it seems the package got stuck in UPS hell. they FINALLY located it and it looks like it's being processed for delivery now. so HOPEFULLY... I will get to see the LIII Tumescent today!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    19
    oh, forgot to report back:

    got the guitar and played it a while... didn't really like the 9's so took some time and set it up with 10's. added a spring, adjusted the trem, tweaked the intonation a bit... and the guitar (for me) came to life. been playing the crap out of it ever since. i'm quite amazed at how vibrant the guitar is unplugged and sounds great plugged in as well. really been enjoying it! I've read several reviews talking about how "small" or "tiny" the neck is... that is the furthest thing from the truth! it's a VERY comfortable neck... mine measures out about .83 at the first fret to about .94 at the 12th... that's NOT a tiny neck. some may interpret the lack of shoulders (due to it being a mild V neck) as smallness but it's really not. the neck is so comfortable and fast... I love it.

    here's a pic:

    Last edited by moozak; 06-04-2018 at 10:20 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Tremolo Pedal