Music Man Modern Classics

Thread: Steve Morse pickup change

Steve Morse pickup change

I have recently picked up a Y2D and while the playability is great I can't get it to sound right. The bridge pickup sounds especially harsh, cold and hard edged. I'm thinking about changing the bridge pickup to something like a Duncan Custom Custom. Or does anybody have any recommendations? It all sucks a bit because the pickups are colour matched.

So much is down to personal preference (I love those pickups), what amp you're playing, etc.

But they're easy to change, and you can always get stickers/decals for the top of the pickups so they all match. I just searched for "colored stickers for pickups" and got some solid hits.

I had the same problem with my Y2D. I ended up with (believe it or not) Duncan Screamin Demon. It's kind of a misnomer. It's not a screechy high output like the name tends to imply. It really balanced it out for my setup. It actually sounds pretty damn good when split also. A lot of the Duncans don't. It's a clear and open sounding pickup that I think takes some of the harshness away. Let us know what you try and like or don't like.

PS I didn't care for the JB or the Custom in mine.
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.

Quote Originally Posted by vuduhwy View Post
    I had the same problem with my Y2D. I ended up with (believe it or not) Duncan Screamin Demon. It's kind of a misnomer. It's not a screechy high output like the name tends to imply. It really balanced it out for my setup. It actually sounds pretty damn good when split also. A lot of the Duncans don't. It's a clear and open sounding pickup that I think takes some of the harshness away. Let us know what you try and like or don't like.

PS I didn't care for the JB or the Custom in mine.
    Ok, thanks for the tip, very useful info. I have the fixed bridge version, how about you? Screamin Demon sounds like an interesting and a bit unexpected choice. I feel I need something "sweet" and smooth in this guitar for the bridge position, hence the idea of using a Custom Custom, I've had great success with that pickup in the bridge before. As it is now legato sounds half-ok but the picked attack is just plain nasty at times, and very "unforgiving" if that makes sense.

Welcome Vegaman,

I "just" own a Standard Morse, not a Y2D. Don´t find the Pickups harsh, cold and hard edged. Did you play with the pickup height? The Humbuckers, especially the Bridge, have a lot of power and are designed for Steve Morses preference of having all of his pickups VERY low. I have seen his guitars in person. The neck HB was at the height of the lower edge of the rosewood fretboard, the Bridge HB a bit higher. So I can imagine, they sound uncommon when setup higher.

Steve´s tech Tommy, here onboard, posted this one:
    Steve Morse EBMM correct pick up height-1sideshotpickups-jpg

You may want to take a look at this thread: Steve Morse EBMM correct pick up height

Hope it helps!
    Last edited by banjoplayer; 06-08-2018 at 04:29 PM.
    blueburst Steve Morse Standard, Jan 03, 2005 pix
    pinkburst Albert Lee, Jul 13, 1994 pix
    cinnamon SUB1, Mar 08, 2004 pix
    vintage gold reflex, June 22, 2011 pix

My Bands: The BlueScream, Shelter50

Love my morse. I keep it at the factory action. always sounds great.

I guess the one question I have after reading all that, is whether those numbers are with guitar fretted at the 22nd fret, or with the strings open.
    Last edited by tbonesullivan; 06-09-2018 at 03:25 PM.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

So I tried lowering the bridge pickup and the tone did get a bit sweeter (as in less harsh) but it also sounds quite thin and "nasal" now instead. So I guess a pickup change is the next step