Music Man April BFR

Thread: Can I down tune my Axis without the intonation going out of whack?

Can I down tune my Axis without the intonation going out of whack?

I'm pretty clueless with regards to setting guitars up etc. Currently my Axis is in standard tuning (Ernie Ball regular slinkys 10s), but my band wants us all to play in E-flat. I'm worried that putting all my strings down a half step is going to through the intonation out/cause other problems, due to the floyd rose. I can't find much information about doing this with top-mounted floyds. I know it would cause problems with recessed floyd guitars, but what about top-mounted?

I recently had it set up professionally, so I don't really want to pay for another set up..

Thanks in advance!

I don't have a guitar with FR, but I would think that since the trem sits flat on the top of the guitar that it wouldn't be a problem to use E-flat tuning.

2018 Axis Super Sport BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2016 Cutlass - Vintage Turquoise
    2016 Albert Lee HH - Trans Walnut
    2016 Axis Super Sport - Trans Gold Quilt
    2016 Chapman ML-3 Signature - Cherry

Line 6 Helix
    Line 6 L2t FRFR

It should not majorly effect the intonation. You may need to adjust the truss rod due to the reduced tension.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

My band plays one set tuned down, so I'm regularly in E and Eb. It's never been an issue with intonation.

Yes.
    Intonation is adjusting the distance between the nut and bridge (by adjusting the bridge saddle positions) to get that total distance exactly twice the distance from the nut to the 12th fret, which is exactly half the total distance but is fixed (thus why you have to adjust the bridge).

If your floyd is resting on top of the guitar, which it is on an Axis (i.e. it doesn’t float), then when you lower the string tension to tune down, it won’t cause the bridge to move (because the bridge rests on the top of the guitar) and therefore by definition the distance between the nut and bridge won’t change and therefore the intonation won’t go out.

I should add the lesser tension will cause the neck to pull back slightly (making the total distance longer and the action slightly higher) but IMO this would impact the intonation negligibly, and of course if you re-adjust the truss rod to bring the action back, I think it would bring the intonation back to what it was.
    Last edited by Razzle; 06-14-2018 at 06:59 AM.
    '97 Axis Sport Transparent Purple (HSS, Floyd)
    '11 JP6 Pearl White (Loaded)
    '11 Axis Purple Quilt
    '12 PDN Axis Honey Burst
    '12 SM-Y2D Purple Sunset (Floyd)
    '12 JPX Barolo

MY MUSIC is on Facebook and Reverbnation.