EBMM Stingray bass blue

Thread: Pick up swap on Axis Supersport ?

User Info Menu

Pick up swap on Axis Supersport ?

Hi all.
    I've been gigging my Supersport for a few years now. I have consistent feedback that the guitar's tone is "edgy" and "cutting" live - not necessarily in a good way.
    I find the guitar's tone a little anemic in comparison to my Les Paul's and Strats. I would like to hear from anyone who has had positive results swapping pickups. I'd consider it if there is something out there not so aggressive, but with a lower output and with a little more P.A.F tone - what pick up could you recommend ?
    (Otherwise, I absolutely love the guitar).
    Thanks
    Al

User Info Menu

It's not the Axis SuperSport, but similar enough: I just put Thornbuckers into my 25th Anniversary (aka Reflex) and they're different but I like them a lot. Still getting a feel for them but they were a fairly easy swap if you're gonna stick with stock wiring.
    EVH - Blue Quilt
    1995 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2009 - 25th Anniversary
    2011 - Luke II - True Gold BFR
    2012 - Axis Tribute - Trans Pink
    2016 - Cutlass - Vintage Sunburst
    2017 - St. Vincent - Stealth Black

Take a break from playin' guitar and read a webcomic: nemu*nemu!

User Info Menu

I recently picked up a Luke III and have to say how impressed I am with the Transition humbuckers. Very clear and not too middy, but still plenty of output. Thinking about trying them in one of my Morses.

User Info Menu

Hi Al,
    I have been through pickup swapping years and years (mostly Dimarzio, such as Norton, Air Zone, 36th PAF, Virtual PAF, Virtual Hot Paf, and of cours AT-1), but recently came back to the Axis buckers. I consider them to be the best I have tried in all those years for rock to metal guitar.
    I also think they are not particularly edgy , and I am convinced that many suspects in the signal chain may contribute to edgyness.
    If you like to stay in the Custom buckers' ballpark, you might give the AT-1 a try. They are VERY similar at first glance, but a bit softer and warmer, yet they have something many describe as "outstanding harmonics", "hramonically rich", or similar, hard to describe.
    The AT-1 is however a little less tight than the Custom buckers, and for some reasons I prefer the whole package of the Custom's more at the moment.
    2001 Axis Sport HH hardtail maple fretboard burnt apple
    2001 Axis SuperSport HH hardtail maple fretboard translucent gold
    1997 Axis Sport HSS hardtail maple fretboard translucent red
    2001 Silo Special HSS hardtail maple fretboard BlueDawn ** for sale **
    2002 AL MM90 hardtail maple fretboard honeyburst converted to AL 2H

User Info Menu

There's tons of great pickups that fit that bill. Lollar Imperials, SD Antiquity or 59's or Pearly Gates, Gibson '57 classic. List goes on and on. Pretty much every builder and boutique builder has their version of that style of pickup.

"lower output and with a little more P.A.F tone"

In an Axis Sport (ash body) I put in a Lindy Fralin pure P.A.F and it sounded great. The thing is you'll never really know what it will sound like until you put it in your guitar. Videos and sound clips have pretty limited value since it never really ends up sounding the same. Too many variables. Guitar it's in, amp, how it was recorded, how the person played it etc. etc..

Getting it from a company that has a good exchange or return policy makes sense for pickups
    Last edited by Helliger; 07-05-2018 at 07:48 AM.

User Info Menu

What amp are you using? Just curious.

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)
    Stingray BFR
    Natural#G59581 (10/3/17)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by radrock View Post
    What amp are you using? Just curious.
    Ya, that and what pedals or pedalboard setup do you have. Some detail on that might help. You may just need some corrections or tweaking in this area and not even need new pickups.
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.

User Info Menu

Have you tried messing with the pickup height? That can sometimes help.

If you want more "vintage" the Dimarizio 36th anniversary PAFs are NICE. They may be a bit to low output for most people though.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

I, too, love my Axis SS pups. I do have a bit of a preference for the Transition’s in my LIII’s, though. They are a bit warmer, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk