Music Man April BFR
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a MusicMan mail order having never played one?

Would you buy a MusicMan mail order having never played one?

Ok. So basically to cut a long story short in a few months time I want to buy a 'decent' guitar.

Currently playing an Epiphone Les Paul which I like and Id thought about getting a Gibson but they seem pretty overpriced and they don't have a great reputation for quality control atm (whatever I get will be mail order). I play a range of styles but mainly metal/rock and I'm loving the blues a lot these days too.

I've recently stumbled across the MusicMan Stingray and initially it caught my eye because of its looks (that tobacco burst with the tortoiseshell scratch plate is literally my idea of a perfect guitar). From listening to a few YouTube vids the tone seems really nice as well, and MusicMan (from what I can gather) seem to have an excellent reputation when it comes to QC.

If I was to get one it would be bought unplayed and without having ever played any MusicMan guitar. I really don't feel that I have a preference for necks etc feeling at home on both Strats and Les Pauls.

So would you take the plunge and buy a Stingray without having played one?

Yep, done it twice - my first two is never played before purchase, but had played an axis. It was an Albert lee and a cutlass
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Albert Lee SSS - 3tsb
    Cutlas SSS - Vintage Turquoise
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green
    FSR 50s Strat - Jetstream Blue

in a short response......Yes.

Of all the guitar companies I have purchased instruments from EBMM is without a doubt the most consistent in producing an instrument. I am not just saying that beucase it's the EBMM forum I genuinely believe it.

I have purchased 9 balls over the last 10 years "un-tested" and I don't regret a single purchase. I have been surprised but always delighted.

the world is changing. the days of the traditional music store are slipping away, and online purchasing (and in some cases your personal geography) are sometimes a restriction on your choices. but if I could only buy one guitar unplayed it would be a EBMM over any other brand. I can think of a few other brands I have tried this with, and some have produced mixed results. but EBMM delivers every time it's why I am so obsessive about calling out the quality.

Now where is that free signature model for the glowing review......
    86934 - This EVH was completed on August 29th, 1995. Trans Red.
    G50887 - This Albert Lee HH was completed on August 13th, 2010. 1 off- Lake Placid Blue
    N00363 - This Armada was completed on September 27th, 2013. Mint Green
    G47271 - This 25th Anniversary HH was completed on April 27th, 2009. Venetian Redburst

Of course I would.

Nearly all of mine were bought without playing them first. No duds yet.
    JP6 Mystic Dream
    JP6 DD2
    JP6 BFR Walnut
    JP6 White Sparkle
    JP6 BFR Cherry Burst
    JPX6
    JP6 Olive Gold
    JP6 Blue Dawn
    JP13 Cardinal Red Sparkle
    JP6 Stealth White
    JP6 Gold Sparkle
    JP6 Starry Night
    Majesty Artisan Rosso
    LIII Olive Gold

I was in your boat some time ago. I did it and never regretted it. Once I played one I was spoiled. The craftsmaship was perfect. It made everything else I had seem like a toy. Youll hear that opinion expressed over and over. The only thing that can go wrong with never playing one is if the particular neck or some characteristic of that guitar was just not for you though music man necks are awsome and I think most people are blown away with how nice they are. As far as the consistent quality and customer service that they provide you wont be dissapointed ordering one.

I purchased/traded for all my EBMM’s online site unseen. Zero complaints. They’ve all been absolutely fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes - especially from a good store like Wilcutt or Sweetwater. I've bought 4 online.
    '15 JP15 BBB | '14 PDN JP6 | '10 JP6 Mystic Dream | '13 JP70 (w/CL/LF)
    '13 LP Traditional | '13 EPi LP | '10 LP Classic | 89' LP Std
    '16 Amer Strat HSS
    Mark IV | RA-100 | (2) 2x12 Recto Slant
    Dunlop Limited Wah | EBMM Volume
    GCP/GCX | EVH Phase & Flange | Dreamscape | Archer | Nova Drive | G-Major 2

Music Man is the only guitar that I would buy without having played one first.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis Super Sport Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black
    A half-dozen pawn shop beaters no one cares about

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

I've owned 7 or 8 MM's and every one I've bought without trying it first. So far they've gotten a perfect score. They age over time and depending on how they're cared for (if you go the used route to save $$$) your mileage may vary.

Now, if you go the new route - absolutely no worries. Period. You'll never go back after playing one.
    EBMM 25th Anniversary G47729 DOB 8/5/2009
    EBMM Stingray RS G84600 DOB 3/20/2018
    SBMM SUB AX4 Duncan JB/Jazz pups SD pots StoneTone Rock Block trem block upgrade
    EBMM - a guitar like no other.
    Even we mancave noodlers can appreciate the perfection that is an EBMM guitar.
    "one likes to believe in the freedom of music..."

Yup I have as well numerous times and have never had a regret.

Good luck, Glenn |B)
    1. Silhouette Special in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    2. Silhouette Special in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/02] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    3. Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/01]
    4. Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/11] BFR

Bought my Valentine based on online demos. They'd only been available a month. Two years in and still makes me feel fizzy inside!

The ONLY guitar brand I would buy sight unseen would be EBMM. All of mine (over 18) have been shipped from the west, and they have all been set up perfectly out of the box, not a dud among them. Just perfect!
    [SIGPIC[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by spychocyco View Post
    Music Man is the only guitar that I would buy without having played one first.
    +1!

Kevin
    Curator of The Morseum

Top dollar paid for "First 50" Morses!

Buy one. You'll understand.
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS Neptune Blue
    AL HH Starry Night
    AL HH Candy Apple Red
    AL MM90 Sparkle Turquoise