EBMM Stingray bass blue

Thread: Cutlass SSS Bridge Pup

User Info Menu

Cutlass SSS Bridge Pup

I've got a 2017 Cutlass SSS / SSS routed.
    Love the guitar, but every now and again I wish I had gotten the HSS for extra beef for bridge soloing.

Has anyone had good results from adding a single sized H pup in the bridge?
    Any affects or things I need to know about the silent circuit when adding an H?

Thanks!

Dan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitardan View Post
    Love the guitar, but every now and again I wish I had gotten the HSS for extra beef for bridge soloing.

Thanks!

Dan
    I havenít messed with the pickups (if it ainít broke....) however, I bought a twin HSS to match my SSS and havenít regretted a second of it. The pickups match very well.
    JP6 Pearl White born 1/11/11
    Majesty Monarchy Imperial Blue born 1/23/18
    Cutlass SSS Ivory White born 6/13/16
    Cutlass HSS Ivory White born 1/10/18
    Stingray RS Firemist Silver born 6/5/18
    Sub1 born 5/26/04
    Mesa Boogies

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jmmp View Post
    I havenít messed with the pickups (if it ainít broke....) however, I bought a twin HSS to match my SSS and havenít regretted a second of it. The pickups match very well.
    Welp, a new guitar is not in the budget, but upgrades are certainly doable...

I did get the wiring diagrams from EBMM for both guitars and there's a pretty simple addition to the switch w/ the HB in the bridge so you can split it in the 2 position.

Had a chance to play an HSS at Sweetwater to confirm that's what I want / need.

User Info Menu

Thanks!

Dan
    Hey Dan

I've found myself in the same boat. I have a spare pickguard loaded with a JB Jr Bridge PU (as part of the SD Everything Axe set) waiting to go in. The only thing holding me up is that every time I'me ready to swap out the PUPS I strike gold with the stock PUPS and put it off! When I do change them out I'll let you know how it sounds. I felt the separate fully wired pickguard might be a better way to beef it up without changing any of the stock wiring on the original. Not the cheapest solution but there is something unique about the stock setup that I dont want to lose.

User Info Menu

Welp, a new guitar is not in the budget, but upgrades are certainly doable...

I did get the wiring diagrams from EBMM for both guitars and there's a pretty simple addition to the switch w/ the HB in the bridge so you can split it in the 2 position.

Had a chance to play an HSS at Sweetwater to confirm that's what I want / need.
    Hi Dan
    Would you mind sharing that wiring diagram with me? Can PM you my email. Got my heart set on an HSS but would like to have that option
    Cheers
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlas SSS - Ivory White
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Conky View Post
    Hey Dan

I've found myself in the same boat. I have a spare pickguard loaded with a JB Jr Bridge PU (as part of the SD Everything Axe set) waiting to go in. The only thing holding me up is that every time I'me ready to swap out the PUPS I strike gold with the stock PUPS and put it off! When I do change them out I'll let you know how it sounds. I felt the separate fully wired pickguard might be a better way to beef it up without changing any of the stock wiring on the original. Not the cheapest solution but there is something unique about the stock setup that I dont want to lose.
    Understood, I have a spare loaded DiMarzio Area PG, I have considered testing out in the Cutlass. And I have felt the same way about the stock sound, it works great for most of my applications, but it would cover 100% if it had an HB in the bridge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TrapperJ View Post
    Hi Dan
    Would you mind sharing that wiring diagram with me? Can PM you my email. Got my heart set on an HSS but would like to have that option
    Cheers
    Sure, send me the PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks mate - sent
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlas SSS - Ivory White
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

User Info Menu

FYI - I experimented w/ installing a DiMarzio Injector in the bridge, and the results were not favorable. Sounded thin and out of phase, alone and in the 2 position. Guessing it has to do w/ the Cutlass circuitry. I'll keep it the way it is for now, possible swap out the entire set bypassing the Cutlass electronics.

User Info Menu

FYI - I experimented w/ installing a DiMarzio Injector in the bridge, and the results were not favorable. Sounded thin and out of phase, alone and in the 2 position.
    If it sounded out of phase on it's own you got the wiring wrong. Did you get the colour codes correct? I'm struggling to remember but the Injectors are same color code to the Area pickups which are NOT standard DiMarzio color code?

Edit: Just pulled out the instructions from an old box... Red to hot, black and white connected, and green to ground. If posn 2 is still out of phase, swap red and green.

Edit 2: DiMarzio noiseless single coils pickups (Area, Virtual Vintage, etc.) are wired reverse phase compared to standard DiMarzio humbuckers, so swap red and green connections if phase issues arise.
    Last edited by DrKev; 09-12-2018 at 03:06 AM.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

I’d love to hear before and after.
    Click for my band

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Valentine Satin Natural #G77122 (8/26/16)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

Yes, I got the color code correct. It came w/ the diagram. Looking at the Cutlass wiring diagrams. There is an added resistor, plus a jumper installed on the switch on the HSS vs SSS. I'm pretty sure the switch wiring is for coil tapping the HB in the 2 position. Perhaps the resistor is for an HB in the silent circuit??? Anyway, I decided to keep it the way it is for now cause I have other HH and HSS guitars.

User Info Menu

The stock HSS wiring the humbucker is not coil tapped in position 2, and the resistor is so the single coils see 250kΩ pots while the humbucker sees the nomimal pot values of 500kΩ. Looking at the only photo I have of my switch, I don't see a jumper. Can you mail me the HSS diagram, I don't have one.

kevin@drkevguitar.com

Thank you!
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

DrKev - Sent to you email

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    The stock HSS wiring the humbucker is not coil tapped in position 2, and the resistor is so the single coils see 250kΩ pots while the humbucker sees the nomimal pot values of 500kΩ. Looking at the only photo I have of my switch, I don't see a jumper. Can you mail me the HSS diagram, I don't have one.

kevin@drkevguitar.com

Thank you!
    Very interesting about that resistor and the pots!

Do you know the technical details of the pickups? What value etc.?? The single coils look a little different than most strat type single coils and the pots are not full sized pots. Some day I might try a whole different pick guard assembly with stacked humbuckers and no battery but for now I'm really liking my stock HSS Cutlass.