Volt Power Supply

Thread: JP15 - position to split coils to use either a neck or bridge single coil pickup?

User Info Menu

JP15 - position to split coils to use either a neck or bridge single coil pickup?

I am wondering if there is a way of using just one single coil pickup on the JP15.

I know that if I am in position 2 and I pull up on the mag tone I can use both a single neck pick up and single bridge pick up in parallel. I've tried putting the guitar in position 3 or 1 and then pulling up the mag tone, but it doesn't seem to be different than just putting the guitar in position 3 or 1 and not pulling up the mag tone. It is possible that I'm not hearing the difference. But the instructions on the JP15 control diagram (01-01-2016) does not show explicitly how to use only one single pickup so I'd like to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

User Info Menu

There is no option for what you are asking. The electronics are designed so that only position 2 has the additional option of splitting the coils. You would have to intervene in order to be able to split the hum buckers in positions 1 and 3.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360
    MAJESTY Gremlin Green M0????

User Info Menu

That's one of my only gripes with the JP15. There IS a coil-split, but only for one third of the available positions.
    I guess it's how JP wanted it, but it feels like a missed opportunity at no cost to the customer.

User Info Menu

Lightbulb How to get single coils in a JP15 on all pickup selector positions

It's really simple, you just have to desolder the blue and yellow wires from the pickup selector PCB and solder them back directly to ground (see picture).

JP15 - position to split coils to use either a neck or bridge single coil pickup?-single-coil-mod-jpg

In the original soldering configuration, the blue and yellow cables are hooked to the 4PDT switch, connecting to ground only when the switch is in the middle position. By soldering them to ground, you'll be effectively singling both pickups on all pickup selector positions, when the tone knob DPDT is up (see diagram)

JP15 - position to split coils to use either a neck or bridge single coil pickup?-mindacoavmqcvmabtkxi-copy-jpg
    Last edited by alpiel91; 07-11-2021 at 03:23 PM.

User Info Menu

And where is the ground?

User Info Menu

usually about 3-4 ft below the guitar

Or solder them to the back of the (usually) volume pot.