Music Man Modern Classics

Thread: Wiring to make tone pot active on bridge pickup only. Albert Lee sss

User Info Menu

Wiring to make tone pot active on bridge pickup only. Albert Lee sss

Need a diagram or "how to" to make the tone knob active on the bridge pickup only, bypassing the other two pickups on an Albert Lee sss. Thanks for any help with this!

User Info Menu

It's no different than any other strat-style wiring scheme. Just unsolder the white wire from the volume pot, and instead solder it to the point on the lever switch where the bridge pickup is wired.

The reduced load on the neck/middle pickups is going to make them sound a wee bit different, though, unless you want to replace that with a fixed 250k resistor in the appropriate positions.

User Info Menu

Could someone please tell me what advantages it would bring to the guitar? Not trying to be sarcastic, I'd just like to learn!
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS Neptune Blue
    AL HH Starry Night
    AL HH Candy Apple Red
    AL MM90 Sparkle Turquoise
    L3 HSS Olive Gold

User Info Menu

The bridge pickup is bright- so that would allow you to switch to it and not have to turn the tone back up when you go to other positions. (What a lot of players do with their Strats, given two tone controls.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    It's no different than any other strat-style wiring scheme. Just unsolder the white wire from the volume pot, and instead solder it to the point on the lever switch where the bridge pickup is wired.

The reduced load on the neck/middle pickups is going to make them sound a wee bit different, though, unless you want to replace that with a fixed 250k resistor in the appropriate positions.
    Thank you, Beej. A wee bit different? If it doesn't darken the tone it would probably be fine. I can alway switch it back. - Cheers! - Doug

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dnoltemeier View Post
    Thank you, Beej. A wee bit different? If it doesn't darken the tone it would probably be fine. I can alway switch it back. - Cheers! - Doug
    Slightly louder and slightly brighter in the middle, mid/neck, and neck positions. And yes, you can always switch it back.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Removing a pot would brighten things up.

You have 2 x 250k pots providing a 125k load. Removing 1 pot will give you 250k in positions 5 (N), 4 (N&M), and 3 (M), which is the same load as having 2 x 500k pots. (Brighter.)

To counteract this, what you can do is run a 250k resistor in parallel to provide the additional load. You could do this a few ways. (I can't recall if the new ALs have a standard 5-way switch or a multipole, so that would change what you'd do.)

I'd try moving the tone pot first and seeing how you like it. If you find the neck/middle too bright, you can fix that later.
    Last edited by beej; 07-25-2018 at 06:43 AM.

User Info Menu

A brighter AL??? Once again, I'm puzzled.

It'd be like an uglier Rickenbacker...
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS Neptune Blue
    AL HH Starry Night
    AL HH Candy Apple Red
    AL MM90 Sparkle Turquoise
    L3 HSS Olive Gold

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Jason View Post
    A brighter AL??? Once again, I'm puzzled.

It'd be like an uglier Rickenbacker...
    I only use the tone knob to knock the edge off the bridge pickup, but occasionally forget to turn it back up when switching to the neck pickup and find myself wondering why it sounds dull until I remember the tone knob was a 5-7

User Info Menu

Thanks for the details and tips on the resistor, beej. A little brighter on position 4 wouldn't hurt. I was pretty content with the neck alone.