Music Man Modern Classics
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SBMM Armada?

SBMM Armada?

Any thoughts on why this isn’t a thing? Been out the loop a little while with the SBMM stuff so forgive me if this has already been answered. Would love a MM um, “single cutaway” type without the slightly too out of reach for me, price tag...
    2002 Axis Super Sport Blue Dawn
    1997 Axis Sport Translucent Purple
    2008 OLP MM1 Translucent Gold

musician and producer based in Canterbury, UK - davidclayson.com

I would think since it a neck thru that the cost wouldn't be cost effective to make in the end. Or maybe it would cause the EBMM model to loose it's appeal. These are just my thoughts.

But along the same lines you can ask, why no Steve Morse? They just came out with the SBMM AL and those that have it here really like them, so that's a total hit from my point of view and it gets AL's out in the hands of player whom might not be able to afford the full up EBMM.

Glenn |B)
    Last edited by GWDavis28; 07-26-2018 at 01:49 PM.
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

Based on what Dargin said about the future of the EBMM Armada, I wouldn't expect to see SBMM put one out. Back in January, I think, he spoke as though the Armada was almost eliminated from the product line for 2018.

With the apparent success of the Cutlass, I wonder if we might see a similar approach taken to a new model intended to get closer to the LP look and feel in a masterfully-built, modern guitar?
    ---------------
    2018 Valentine in Three-tone Burst
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    2016 Valentine in Trans Maroon
    2014 Axis SS Semi-Hollow MM90 with Piezo
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette Hardtail with Piezo

Quote Originally Posted by jones4tone View Post
    Based on what Dargin said about the future of the EBMM Armada, I wouldn't expect to see SBMM put one out. Back in January, I think, he spoke as though the Armada was almost eliminated from the product line for 2018.
    That is a shame, this looks like a stellar guitar; yet another that I have *never* seen in a store...
    BFR Axis Quilt Amethyst Burst 12/17/2008
    JP Majesty Arctic Dream 04/17/2014
    Stingray 4H Pacific Blue Burst 09/04/2014
    Axis Super Sport Semi Hollow w/Piezo Black Cherry Burst 09/08/2015
    Albert Lee SSS Pacific Blue Burst 09/22/2015
    JP7 Mystic Dream 01/30/2017

>Music Man builds instrument
    >"UGH NO! WEIRD BODY SMALL HEAD ITS NOT A STRAT OR LP"

>PRS builds instrument
    >"PFFT. ITS JUST A STRAT!"

Sometimes you just can't win. Armada should have blown away all the blues daddies and bald ponytail crowd imo.
    St. Vincent "Prince Vince" trans purple gold hardware stealth pg roasted bound neck
    Albert Lee MM90 piezo "Silver Surfer"
    Classic Morse
    Luke BFR Koa
    Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow natural flame piezo
    Silhouette Special
    Stealth Bongo H
    White Cutlass Bass roasted neck

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyBall View Post
    bald ponytail crowd imo.
    Haha!

CLASSIC STINGRAY White (MHS)
    CAPRICE Natural
    SBMM JP50 Stealth (The Project)
    SBMM SUB SB4 Red (My Daughter's Bass)
    Former owner of...

BONGO - 4HH (Rolls Burgandy), 4Hp ("Small EQ"/Medallion Gold), 4H (Ice Blue), 5HSp (White), 4H (Black Sugar), 4H (PDN Honey Burst), 4H (PDN Tobacco Burst)
    STINGRAY - 4H (30TH), 4H (Dargie Delight), 4H (VSB/BFR RW Neck), 5H (08 LE)
    STERLING - 4HH (Dargie Delight), 4H (Stealth), 4HS (Natural)
    25TH - 5HH (Venetian Red)
    BIG AL - 4SSS (Olive Gold)

>Armada should have blown away all the blues daddies and bald ponytail crowd imo.
    Just building awareness among that crowd for a guitar that's not easy to run across in stores is a challenge. I'm glad I'm just buying and playing them, and not trying to conceive/choose designs to put out in the market!
    ---------------

Just building awareness among that crowd for a guitar that's not easy to run across in stores is a challenge. I'm glad I'm just buying and playing them, and not trying to conceive/choose designs to put out in the market!
    I'd better be more careful because every guitar company needs the bald ponytail crowd. The joke never gets old, though, can't help myself.

Your point is absolutely valid, so so many MM converts are made through being able to actually manhandle an instrument in a store. The real pros keep telling me that 'you cannot understate the value of the retail experience'. It's why I still go to Best Buy before I really decide on my new TV every couple of years.

Back to the Armada: No SBMM Armada is in the works as far as I know. However, I'm strategically kept in the dark about a lot.
    St. Vincent "Prince Vince" trans purple gold hardware stealth pg roasted bound neck
    Classic Morse
    Luke BFR Koa
    Silhouette Special
    Stealth Bongo H

Your point is absolutely valid, so so many MM converts are made through being able to actually manhandle an instrument in a store. The real pros keep telling me that 'you cannot understate the value of the retail experience'. It's why I still go to Best Buy before I really decide on my new TV every couple of years.
    This is absolutely true. I was introduced to the brand by seeing a demo video, which was the first time I'd ever seen an electric guitar with piezo saddles. (Yes, I did live under a rock!) That demo video left me intrigued. Playing my first EBMM in a store, and seeing the exquisite wood grain and fine craftsmanship, left me positively obsessed!
    ---------------

This is absolutely true. I was introduced to the brand by seeing a demo video, which was the first time I'd ever seen an electric guitar with piezo saddles. (Yes, I did live under a rock!) That demo video left me intrigued. Playing my first EBMM in a store, and seeing the exquisite wood grain and fine craftsmanship, left me positively obsessed!
    Well another thing that might have helped was that you didn't see someone at the company flippantly insult your demographic while you were researching them. That's why I gotta watch out with the jokes around here. I think we've come to the real answer to our problems though: we need more EBMM's in more stores.
    Classic Morse
    Luke BFR Koa
    Silhouette Special
    Stealth Bongo H

When I first saw photos of the Armada, I definitely liked it, but not enough to order one sight unseen. About a year later, I came across one in a Guitar Center. I was an Armada owner shortly thereafter.
    "The more of our stuff you have the more awesomely freaky you become." -- BP

we need more EBMM's in more stores.
    This x 1,000!
    ---------------

Well another thing that might have helped was that you didn't see someone at the company flippantly insult your demographic while you were researching them. That's why I gotta watch out with the jokes around here. I think we've come to the real answer to our problems though: we need more EBMM's in more stores.
    Don't worry - to be part of the bald ponytail crowd you HAVE to have a good sense of humour
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlas SSS - Ivory White
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

we need more EBMM's in more stores.
    This! Honestly my wife and I would likely own twice the number of EBMM's we currently do if we could see them in a store. Specifically on the Armada, I'm in love with it, wife wants to see/feel/try one before committing... when I find out stores have any EBMM stock within an hour or so drive, we go that day to check them out. I've got friends at stores that know to call us when/if they get in anything EBMM, new or used.

(if a certain Sam Ash in Sarasota, FL were to get in an EBMM Armada, in say, Balboa Burst Blue, with a build code something like 750-Y4-20-00, we would be there that day with about a 98% chance of it coming home with us that night)
    Last edited by Kinjin; 07-27-2018 at 08:05 AM. Reason: just adding a "for example"
    BFR Axis Quilt Amethyst Burst 12/17/2008
    JP Majesty Arctic Dream 04/17/2014
    Stingray 4H Pacific Blue Burst 09/04/2014
    Axis Super Sport Semi Hollow w/Piezo Black Cherry Burst 09/08/2015
    Albert Lee SSS Pacific Blue Burst 09/22/2015
    JP7 Mystic Dream 01/30/2017

That would be interesting to see, and if I had to guess it would most likely be manufactured as a set neck (similar to the SBMM Majesty) and not a neck-through like the EBMM versions.

How about a stealth black sbmm version?
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://www.DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band