EBMM Stingray bass blue

Thread: Axis Trem Option Differences?

Axis Trem Option Differences?

How does the non locking standard vintage EBMM Axis trem feel or perform vs the full blown Floyd Rose Lic version? Looking at a late model super sport with the non FR and curious. Full dive bombing, light wobble? What’s it intended or best for? Tuning stability of the non FR version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nervous; 07-26-2018 at 02:27 PM.
    2016 Axis Super Sport Trans Gold

I've got both an Axis and an SS, and tuning stability is great on both of them. Both are dive-only trems. You may be able to set them up to float, but I believe it's a pain to do so. If you're going to be using a lot of wild whammy action and deep dive bombs, I'd probably go with the FR version simply because that's what it's designed for. If not, either will work fine. The locking tuners on the SS are great, and the occasional dive bomb doesn't take it out of tune.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis Super Sport Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black
    A half-dozen pawn shop beaters no one cares about

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

Thanks for that response and it verified what I was thinking. I am fine with dive only and have no desire to fight with a conversion to floating, it's fine as it is. And, I ain't much of a bomber anymore but looking for something a bit more versatile and substantial than a basic Strat style trem. As I get older I get less patient with things so I believe it's very reasonable trade off for the few advantages the FR offers for the simplicity of the EBMM vintage trem option. I am a big fan of locking tuners and have been for a while. So I went ahead and bought my first MM guitar today, an Axis Super Sport. I have owned a few basses but never a guitar and the Axis has been on my radar for a while now. I have owned a few MM basses but this is the first guitar so we shall see.

I would say that the vintage EBMM seems to fill the role you need it for. At least the strings are locked on one end with our system, that helps a ton compared to a strat with a hundred wraps around the post.

The FR model can give you that complete tension removal where the strings stop even making noise and just flop around, but the vintage EBMM trem does not go that far. It does get your string tension very loose and snaps them back into place without any pitch shift or tuning problems. I personally like that it gives you fewer headaches during string changes as well.

It has some similarities to the classic Fender trem system, of course, but what I imagine happened is that the original Fender design was observed and improved on from the ground up. The focus being on reliability and user-friendliness. Locking tuners already give it a leg up as I said earlier, and the compensated nut keeps the intonation very solid.

Side note: only the EVH's could pitch up or down with the whammy. Part of the design was routing out the space underneath the bridge to allow it to swing up and down since Ed wanted a flat trem that acted like a floating.
    St. Vincent "Prince Vince" trans purple gold hardware stealth pg roasted bound neck
    Albert Lee MM90 piezo "Silver Surfer"
    Classic Morse
    Luke BFR Koa
    Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow natural flame piezo
    Silhouette Special
    Stealth Bongo H
    White Cutlass Bass roasted neck

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyBall View Post
    Side note: only the EVH's could pitch up or down with the whammy. Part of the design was routing out the space underneath the bridge to allow it to swing up and down since Ed wanted a flat trem that acted like a floating.
    No, sir. EVH's trem never floated on any guitar he played (not Kramer, not EBMM, not Peavey, not Fender/EVH). It was down only. Just like the Axis Floyd. No ability to pull up on the bar. There was no space routed beneath the trem to pull up. EBMM did floating Floyds on the Luke I, the Silhouette, some Steve Morse's, and the one-off JP13 that I have. And then on the JP16. Never on the Axis or EVH.

Last edited by dibart77; 07-27-2018 at 12:16 AM.

You can make the vintage bridge float, a lot of us here do it.
    The E string pulls up by a semitone and the G string by a minor 3rd. Easily done.
    I have a couple of expensive floyd type guitars, and the mm vintage is by far my favourite. Solid tuning stability with nice vibratos up and down from your keynote.
    I'm not a dive bomber, but it does go low enough for me if I'm in the mood.

Congrats on your decision! I've got a couple of Axis SS and I suspect you won't be disappointed!
    Post pics when you get it!!
    Balls are Best!!

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop View Post
    Congrats on your decision! I've got a couple of Axis SS and I suspect you won't be disappointed!
    Post pics when you get it!!

This is it. 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk