EBMM Stingray bass green

Thread: How to take care of Cutlass Roasted Maple Neck?

User Info Menu

How to take care of Cutlass Roasted Maple Neck?

Hi everyone, just had the pleasure of purchasing a Cutlass Hss with a roasted maple neck, and just don't know exactly how to take good care of the guitar neck, meaning which products to use on this neck since is satin and overall what should be the proper way to keep it this gorgeous, thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to take care of Cutlass Roasted Maple Neck?-img_5979-jpg   How to take care of Cutlass Roasted Maple Neck?-img_5978-jpg  

User Info Menu

You could use the Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes. I personally just wipe mine down with a soft microfiber rag after I’m done playing.

User Info Menu

I just play it after eating nachos and it seems to stay oiled.
    Click for my band

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Valentine Satin Natural #G77122 (8/26/16)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

From Music Man FAQ:

Some of our instruments have necks that are finished with a glossy or matte polyester finish. These necks can be cleaned and maintained with a polish cloth similar to the body of the instrument.

However, many of our necks are not finished that way. They are finished with tru-oil and gunstock wax for a smooth natural feel.

For routine conditioning and cleaning of these necks we recommend Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes Fretboard Conditioner.

If the Wonder Wipes are not available try using a high grade of lemon oil. It will work both on maple, rosewood and ebony. If the neck is very dirty, you can use a small amount of Murphy's Oil Soap, diluted 3:1 with water, to clean it. Keep in mind that if the dirt has gotten into the wood, it cannot be removed except by sanding it down, which we do not recommend a lot of. It is better to keep it clean in the first place. Washing your hands first helps!

On an maple neck, some discoloration after many hours of playing is normal.

An annual (or so) dose of tru oil and gunstockwax will help to keep the neck maintained; we use and recommend Birchwood-Casey Tru-oil, but any good quality gunstock oil will work.

Click here to watch a how-to video

Birchwood-Casey products are available at most sporting goods or gun stores, or now you can order them direct. Their web address is Birchwood Casey.

Be sure to follow all of the manufacturers recommended safety precautions when using any oils or waxes.
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

I’m telling you. Nachos work.
    Click for my band

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Valentine Satin Natural #G77122 (8/26/16)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

Pretty sure that this still applies:

Caring for your Music Man neck & Fretboard - YouTube

but as stated, for most normal wear, using wonder wipes when it starts to feel dirty will probably keep it going great.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Vaz View Post
    Hi everyone, just had the pleasure of purchasing a Cutlass Hss with a roasted maple neck, and just don't know exactly how to take good care of the guitar neck, meaning which products to use on this neck since is satin and overall what should be the proper way to keep it this gorgeous, thanks.
    The Cutlass was introduced with a satin poly finish on the neck, but with the introduction of the RS series with roasted necks this year, there's no longer a satin finish on them (except the specs say the stealth black HSS is still a satin poly). They're the hand-rubbed oil and wax finish which is common to so many EBMM guitars, and the instructions @mikeller posted yesterday are what you need for the oil and wax. There's also a video on YouTube with EBMM staff demonstrating how to clean and renew the oil and wax finish. (And now I see that tbone has already posted that video.)

Congrats on the new guitar!
    ---------------
    2018 Valentine in Three-tone Burst
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    2016 Valentine in Trans Maroon
    2014 Axis SS Semi-Hollow MM90 with Piezo
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette Hardtail with Piezo

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot mike, your advice is awesome, will follow those steps, thanks again.