EBMM Stingray bass green
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 45

Thread: New guy checking in with a question....

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Well...Texas!
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    Twanger Banger just listed an nice Silver Sparkle AL in the Far Sale thread. Buy from a forumite is a good thing in my experiences.

    Glenn |B)
    I love to buy used...and I'd be happy to buy from a forumite for sure. And no offense at all to TB, but I can't do Silver Sparkle. But you know who would have LOVED that guitar? Don Rich!

    Ok...I keep going back and looking at this guitar....it's beautiful. I may have to change my stance on the silver!
    Last edited by Tx_Greg; 08-01-2018 at 07:08 AM.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    12
    Have you tried a Valentine? I got a trem model in red a few weeks ago and not only is it a great looking guitar it plays & sounds incredible. The neck humbucker is clear & full and the bridge single coil can cover a lot of ground. I play in a cover band (doo-wop to ZZ Top) and I haven't found a song that this guitar doesn't work on. Comfy to play with that tapered body, fantastic intonation and a great trem.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Leyland, Lancashire,UK
    Posts
    15
    I echo the thoughts above that the AL is the greatest guitar ever. Even for someone with stumpy sausage fingers like me.
    Over the years I've had a couple of Silhouettes, a couple of Axis Super Sports, a SUB1 and now have an Albert Lee.
    Honestly it's the best guitar I've ever owned. The neck is perfect, just a little more rounded than the silhouettes for me.

    I am currently saving up for another AL, in the hope that when I get the cash together there will be one with the MM90s pop up somewhere local.
    Albert Lee - Pinkburst 1993

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Well...Texas!
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Tag1 View Post
    Have you tried a Valentine? I got a trem model in red a few weeks ago and not only is it a great looking guitar it plays & sounds incredible. The neck humbucker is clear & full and the bridge single coil can cover a lot of ground. I play in a cover band (doo-wop to ZZ Top) and I haven't found a song that this guitar doesn't work on. Comfy to play with that tapered body, fantastic intonation and a great trem.
    I've haven't got to try a Valentine yet, but it's definitely on my short list to do so. I've listened to a ton of clips, and it's a very versatile guitar. If I can't find an AL that suits me, that'll be my 2nd choice as of now. And if I go play one before then it could very well jump. But I really think the AL is callin me!

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    10,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Greg View Post
    I've haven't got to try a Valentine yet, but it's definitely on my short list to do so. I've listened to a ton of clips, and it's a very versatile guitar. If I can't find an AL that suits me, that'll be my 2nd choice as of now. And if I go play one before then it could very well jump. But I really think the AL is callin me!
    Greg, AL HH, AL SSS or AL MM90's?

    Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]


    Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Well...Texas!
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    Greg, AL HH, AL SSS or AL MM90's?

    Glenn |B)
    Glenn...I started out dead-set on SSS, but after doing some digging (and listening) I'm thinking the HH is the route for me.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    10,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Greg View Post
    Glenn...I started out dead-set on SSS, but after doing some digging (and listening) I'm thinking the HH is the route for me.
    Greg that's great there are a lot of those around. I've got one my wife gave it to me one Christmas (Thanx Pete).

    Whats you color fancy? Trem or Hard tail? New or used?

    Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]


    Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Well...Texas!
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    Greg that's great there are a lot of those around. I've got one my wife gave it to me one Christmas (Thanx Pete).

    Whats you color fancy? Trem or Hard tail? New or used?

    Glenn |B)
    If I could wave a wand... Powder Blue, Trem, Used, for $799.00

    The used market is so good right now, I really think that's where I'll land. They have a beautiful new PB Trem at (can you mention retailers on here?)...a retailer I've bought quite a few guitars from over the years. But I've also found some really great lookers in near mint shape used for a significantly lower price of course. Don't forget...I gotta get this by SWMBO as well!

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    10,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Greg View Post
    If I could wave a wand... Powder Blue, Trem, Used, for $799.00

    The used market is so good right now, I really think that's where I'll land. They have a beautiful new PB Trem at (can you mention retailers on here?)...a retailer I've bought quite a few guitars from over the years. But I've also found some really great lookers in near mint shape used for a significantly lower price of course. Don't forget...I gotta get this by SWMBO as well!
    Sure you can mention retailers here. SWMBO??

    Powder blue might be a tough color to find. What's your second choice?

    Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]


    Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    SWMBO??
    I took that as She Who Must Be Obeyed.
    ---------------
    2018 Valentine in Three-tone Burst
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    2016 Valentine in Trans Maroon
    2014 Axis SS Semi-Hollow MM90 with Piezo
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette Hardtail with Piezo

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    10,228
    Quote Originally Posted by jones4tone View Post
    I took that as She Who Must Be Obeyed.
    Hahahahaha, that ones new by me.

    Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]


    Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Well...Texas!
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by jones4tone View Post
    i took that as she who must be obeyed.
    bingo

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Well...Texas!
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    Sure you can mention retailers here. SWMBO??

    Powder blue might be a tough color to find. What's your second choice?

    Glenn |B)
    Probably the trans walnut looking one. Not sure what that is actually called, but it's nice. I'm an old guy, so nothin too flashy or bright for me. But I'm kinda over black as well. Lord knows I've owned a slew of them over the years. Ultimately, if it plays great, isn't a tone-turd unplugged and feels good....I'll probably deal with the color.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    10,228
    So unplugged these things are beautiful!!! Yah there are some vintage yellow ones out there and such. There are a lot of the Trans Walnut ones out there as well. The ones with the Tele style knobs are usual GC specials, they have a coil tap. Nice feature to have. Keep an eye on Reverb.com, deals seem to come up there more that EvilBay. Good luck in your search.

    Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]


    Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,312
    Greg - If you haven't already done so, head over to the Guitar Center used section on their site. There are three AL HH's for sale there. A really nice white one with the tele-style knobs (likely as Glenn said a GC special with the coil tap), a metallic red one with the standard knobs and (likely) no coil tap, and a black one. I used to own one of the Trans Walnut HH's with the coil tap and it was an outstanding guitar. You'll love it.
    EBMM 25th Anniversary G47729 DOB 8/5/2009
    SBMM SUB AX4 Duncan JB/Jazz pups SD pots StoneTone Rock Block trem block upgrade
    EBMM - a guitar like no other.
    Even we mancave noodlers can appreciate the perfection that is an EBMM guitar.
    "one likes to believe in the freedom of music..."

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Music Man Modern Classics