Ernie Ball Cables
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New guy checking in with a question....

New guy checking in with a question....

So I'm a 40+ year player and I've been fortunate to own a lot of cool guitars. In the late 90's I bought a Silo at a GC in Dallas marked down to about $500. Really loved the neck on that one. But it got away in the very early 2000s. Even though I'm old and all grown-up, my fingers are pretty darn stubby and short...which is why I really loved the Silo. Effortless, no fatigue.

So I'm looking for an EB. I'm very interested in the AL, (play mostly country and blues), but wondered if any of you folks could talk to me about neck profiles on that guitar as compared to a Silo.

I usually hate new guys that use their first post for a question...well, I used to...now I think their just fine!

Anyways, if anyone has any info/advice I'm happy to hear it. Thanks for having me!

Greg

Howdy, and welcome to the forum, Greg! There are a number of AL aficionados who will be along soon to answer your question about the neck profile on that one. (And they'll tell you how intelligent you are to be considering this move, etc.) It's a model I don't have much exposure to, so I'll leave it for those who do.

Texas forever!
    ---------------
    2018 Valentine in Three-tone Burst
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    2016 Valentine in Trans Maroon
    2014 Axis SS Semi-Hollow MM90 with Piezo
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette Hardtail with Piezo

Quote Originally Posted by jones4tone View Post
    Howdy, and welcome to the forum, Greg! There are a number of AL aficionados who will be along soon to answer your question about the neck profile on that one. (And they'll tell you how intelligent you are to be considering this move, etc.) It's a model I don't have much exposure to, so I'll leave it for those who do.

Texas forever!
    Thanks for the welcome. Full disclosure, I'm a bit intrigued by the Valentine, and see you seem to like that model. EBMM has some fantastic options!

Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Greg View Post
    Thanks for the welcome. Full disclosure, I'm a bit intrigued by the Valentine, and see you seem to like that model. EBMM has some fantastic options!
    Yes, the Valentine, too, is a great guitar, and a wonderful body design imo. Absolutely worthy of a look for a country and blues player, with it's tele-style bridge PU and 335-inspired humbucker. If you can find a Trans-Maroon model from the original run, I think it's one of the more under appreciated finishes. Hard to photograph, but just gorgeous in person.
    ---------------
    2018 Valentine in Three-tone Burst
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    2016 Valentine in Trans Maroon
    2014 Axis SS Semi-Hollow MM90 with Piezo
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette Hardtail with Piezo

Howdy Greg, welcome to the forum.

You asked for information on the AL model... I'll try to help you.

Short version: it is the greatest axe in the world.

Long version: the AL model features a small and perfectly balanced body and a classical C-shaped neck that will remind you of a strat, only much more comfortable to play.
    I too have short sausages as fingers and this is the best neck I've played (with the Luke III). The neck is slightly rounder than on the Silo I once owned, if my memory serves me right.

Over the ages the AL model was offered in various pickups combinations.

1) 3 singles: perfect mix between a strat and a tele with it's very own personality. Albert Lee's favourite.

2) 2 humbuckers : mix between a Les Paul and an SG, sounds glorious in every (5) position and is ultimately versatile. (There even was a GC limited-run with the coil split option, easy to spot with their chrome knobs) The AL HH has an all-rosewood neck that makes it "sweet", in a good way. I mean that this is a rock guitar that LOVES gain; it will have balls and punch without being "aggressive".

3) 3 P90's : or mm90's I originally bought this one because I wanted the entire family. It took me a while to educate my ears but it is my favourite one now. They aren't produced anymore but please, if you can try one, go for it, they are just fabulous instruments. Rosewood or mapple neck.

The AL body shape is original. It's a guitar you love or hate. If you ask me : it has unlimited MOJO!!!!

PS : There is a facebok group for MM AL lovers. Feel welcome to join us!

PPS: I've tried the Valentine. Great axe, fabulous neck, great pickups but it didn't turn me on. At all. You just FEEL you are a cool guy when you play an AL.
    Last edited by Magic Jason; 07-31-2018 at 05:49 AM.
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS Neptune Blue
    AL HH Starry Night
    AL HH Candy Apple Red
    AL MM90 Sparkle Turquoise

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Jason View Post
    Howdy Greg, welcome to the forum.

You asked for information on the AL model... I'll try to help you.

Short version: it is the greatest axe in the world.

Long version: the AL model features a small and perfectly balanced body and a classical C-shaped neck that will remind you of a strat, only much more comfortable to play.
    I too have short sausages as fingers and this is the best neck I've played (with the Luke III). The neck is slightly rounder than on the Silo I once owned, if my memory serves me right.

Over the ages the AL model was offered in various pickups combinations.

1) 3 singles: perfect mix between a strat and a tele with it's very own personality. Albert Lee's favourite.

2) 2 humbuckers : mix between a Les Paul and an SG, sounds glorious in every (5) position and is ultimately versatile. (There even was a GC limited-run with the coil split option, easy to spot with their chrome knobs) The AL HH has an all-rosewood neck that makes it "sweet", in a good way. I mean that this is a rock guitar that LOVES gain; it will have balls and punch without being "aggressive".

3) 3 P90's : or mm90's I originally bought this one because I wanted the entire family. It took me a while to educate my ears but it is my favourite one now. They aren't produced anymore but please, if you can try one, go for it, they are just fabulous instruments. Rosewood or mapple neck.

The AL body shape is original. It's a guitar you love or hate. If you ask me : it has unlimited MOJO!!!!

PS : There is a facebok group for MM AL lovers. Feel welcome to join us!

PPS: I've tried the Valentine. Great axe, fabulous neck, great pickups but it didn't turn me on. At all. You just FEEL you are a cool guy when you play an AL.
    Thanks MJ! Good info, and there's no denying the cool factor of the AL...both the man and the axe. I have found there is a dire shortage of new ALs available though. I may have to go the used route if that's the way I end up going. Appreciate the welcome and I will check out the FB page!

Not really a country guitar, but the Axis models have a fantastic neck for short, stubby fingers. I should know. If you can find a used Sport model or an MM90 version, it might be better suited for your style than the humbucker versions. I've heard the AL neck compared favorably to the Axis here, but sadly haven't had a chance to try out the AL.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis Super Sport Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black
    A half-dozen pawn shop beaters no one cares about

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by spychocyco View Post
    Not really a country guitar, but the Axis models have a fantastic neck for short, stubby fingers. I should know. If you can find a used Sport model or an MM90 version, it might be better suited for your style than the humbucker versions. I've heard the AL neck compared favorably to the Axis here, but sadly haven't had a chance to try out the AL.
    I LOVE the Axis necks. I've played several, but never owned one for the reasons you mention. Back in about 1998 or so I also (on impulse in a music store) bought a Peavey Wolfgang stoptail. For one reason...the neck. Most comfortable thing I'd ever played. I kept that guitar for a few years and tried hard to make it fit for me, but tonally it just wouldn't get there. After that experience I played an Axis in a store in Kansas while traveling for work, and loved the neck, but knew better from the tonal aspects. Old dogs, and all that I guess. I never had the opportunity to try the MM90, that could be an option. I do like that model though. Body, neck, everything...Very comfy! Thanks!

Welcome to the brotherhood

Ray Wylie Hubbard "Screw You, We're From Texas" - YouTube

just for you
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlas SSS - Ivory White
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

Quote Originally Posted by TrapperJ View Post
    Welcome to the brotherhood

Ray Wylie Hubbard "Screw You, We're From Texas" - YouTube

just for you
    HAHA...I love RWH!

Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Greg View Post
    I LOVE the Axis necks. I've played several, but never owned one for the reasons you mention. Back in about 1998 or so I also (on impulse in a music store) bought a Peavey Wolfgang stoptail. For one reason...the neck. Most comfortable thing I'd ever played. I kept that guitar for a few years and tried hard to make it fit for me, but tonally it just wouldn't get there. After that experience I played an Axis in a store in Kansas while traveling for work, and loved the neck, but knew better from the tonal aspects. Old dogs, and all that I guess. I never had the opportunity to try the MM90, that could be an option. I do like that model though. Body, neck, everything...Very comfy! Thanks!
    If the tonal issue is the HH of the Axis, you might consider a used Axis Sport, they came in HH, MM90's (2), HSS and SSS. you get the Axis neck and a very under rated guitar.

Gotta tell you I love the MM90's over wound singles, they just sound soo great IMO.

Glenn |B)
    Last edited by GWDavis28; 07-31-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

The triple SSS axis is a good country guitar - check out Johnny Hiland playing his - although he does have his own signature pickups in it
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlas SSS - Ivory White
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

Having owned both a couple of ALs and 3 Silo Specials I'll echo Magic Jason's comment that the AL neck is just a hair thicker and rounder than the Silo neck. They're close, but the AL is a bit more substantial.

Hope that helps.

Twanger Banger just listed an nice Silver Sparkle AL in the Far Sale thread. Buy from a forumite is a good thing in my experiences.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

Quote Originally Posted by TrapperJ View Post
    The triple SSS axis is a good country guitar - check out Johnny Hiland playing his - although he does have his own signature pickups in it
    I would love to find one of those. Unfortunately, I'm way too impatient for my own good!