Ernie Ball Prodigy Picks
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silhouette special - SSS or HSS ?

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    He he! Welcome to the addiction. And welcome to the forum family. Any questions or help you need, we're all here for you to offer sometimes overcomplicated and conflicting advice.
    Hey that's Koogies line!!! You owe him a nickel, hahahahahahaha

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

Quote Originally Posted by tj1 View Post
    Heres a pic
    Nice! My first Silo Special was in vintage burst also, but I went with the tortoise shell pickguard. Sorry; evidently I don't have a photo of it on this laptop; it's on a flash drive somewhere.

I went through a phase where I would get an SSS Silo Special, sell it for something else, then buy another SSS Silo Special. So I wound up owning 3 of them - the vintage burst, then a 2007 Blue Dawn Limited Edition, and then finally a 2010 that I ordered in late 2009 in a color EBMM was getting ready to discontinue (Olive Gold). I don't have any of them any more; I sold the 2010 when I quit playing 25 1/2" scale guitars for several years; I've only recently come back to them.

As I say I didn't load a lot of my old photos on this laptop; and all my old on-line photos were in photobucket so I can't link to them (I'm not paying $300 or whatever it is now for a "full" photobucket account), but I do have a photo of the 2007 Blue Dawn:

Silhouette special - SSS or HSS ?-angle-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
    As I say I didn't load a lot of my old photos on this laptop; and all my old on-line photos were in photobucket so I can't link to them (I'm not paying $300 or whatever it is now for a "full" photobucket account), but I do have a photo of the 2007 Blue Dawn:
    John, nice blue damn you had. I had the same problem with PhotoSuckit, I switched and moved all my photos to this:

ImgBB — Upload Image — Free Image Hosting

I bought a tool for like $10 which allows me to move all my photos quick and save them to my hard drive as zip file.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    John, nice blue damn you had. I had the same problem with PhotoSuckit, I switched and moved all my photos to this:

ImgBB — Upload Image — Free Image Hosting

I bought a tool for like $10 which allows me to move all my photos quick and save them to my hard drive as zip file.

Glenn |B)
    Thanks for the tip; I'll have to check out ImgBB. I'm using Imgur but haven't uploaded all the old photos to there - plus I got a new laptop back in November and just never did move all the photos to the new one's hard drive; I just left them stored on the backup flashdrive.

Good choice! Also remember, you can always replace the bridge pickup with a single-coil sized humbucker if you want some more bite to it.

However, there have been a ton of famous players who use the S-S-S pickup configuration.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

Interesting sparkly blue - I bet you would'nt have had trouble finding that in the dark.

So I got the SSS yesterday and after experimenting - I think for now i prefer position 2 on the lever, that is if 1 is the closest position to the neck and the player. I am not sure what pick up choice this selects, but from John C's previous post this would seem to produce a sound that is unique to the SSS. It produces clear and distinct notes and chords, previous electrics I have tried sounded a bit crunchy or muddy in comparison.

As I said previously the looks do not have instant showroom appeal, but the quality of the instrument becomes more apparent the more time I spend with it. The paint job is stunning.

Interesting sparkly blue - I bet you would'nt have had trouble finding that in the dark.

So I got the SSS yesterday and after experimenting - I think for now i prefer position 2 on the lever, that is if 1 is the closest position to the neck and the player. I am not sure what pick up choice this selects, but from John C's previous post this would seem to produce a sound that is unique to the SSS. It produces clear and distinct notes and chords, previous electrics I have tried sounded a bit crunchy or muddy in comparison.

As I said previously the looks do not have instant showroom appeal, but the quality of the instrument becomes more apparent the more time I spend with it. The paint job is stunning.
    1. Congrats
    2. Welcome to the world of Single Coil goodness, and all it's versatility
    3. LET's SEE IT!

Actually the convention is to number the positions with "1" being closest to the bridge of the guitar and "5" being closest to the neck of the guitar - what you called "position 2" is normally referred to as "position 4".

So here are the positions on an SSS Silhouette Special:

1 - Bridge pickup (closest to the bridge of the guitar)
    2 - Bridge pickup + middle pickup wired in parallel
    3. Middle pickup
    4. Middle pickup + neck pickup wired in parallel
    5. Neck pickup

Just to help you learn about EBMM guitars, here are the positions for the HSS Silhouette Special - note that the bridge pickup is a humbucker - which has 2 coils wired together to reduce extraneous hum:

1 - Bridge pickup (closest to the bridge of the guitar)
    2 - Rear coil of the bridge pickup + middle pickup wired in parallel
    3. Front coil of the bridge pickup + neck pickup wired in parallel
    4. Middle pickup + neck pickup wired in parallel
    5. Neck pickup

This is a special wiring; most HSS guitars are wired just like the SSS models for position 3.

That is really helpful John C. Many Thanks.