BFR October 2019

Thread: Need Luke advice

User Info Menu

Need Luke advice

I just bought a used Luke. I knew the previous owner had replaced the EMGs with Dimarzios, but I was not told that it had finish cracks by both trem posts. It is Red, which is important to me as I don't want yet another black guitar, but I wonder if I'm missing something with the EMGs being gone and if the cracks by the trem posts could be an issue?
    Side note: They changed out the pickups, but kept the 25K pots and tiny little tone cap....Jeeze what a woofy mess.
    1997 Gibson Les Paul Classic
    1997 Ibanez RG570
    2012 EBMM Luke 2
    1996 PRS Standard maple top

User Info Menu

The crack in the bass side post

Flickr

User Info Menu

If teh cracks are only in the finish, they are of no consequence other than cosmetic and will be mostly invisible to anybody but you.

The EMGs are, well, just different. It's like asking if you're missing anything by not putting Seymour Dunacans in there instead of the DiMarzios. Or different DiMarzios. Definitely, put either 500kΩ or 250kΩ pots in there will open up the DiMarzios to where they should be. Should you splash out on a set of EMGs? Only you can answer that.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    If teh cracks are only in the finish, they are of no consequence other than cosmetic and will be mostly invisible to anybody but you.

The EMGs are, well, just different. It's like asking if you're missing anything by not putting Seymour Dunacans in there instead of the DiMarzios. Or different DiMarzios. Definitely, put either 500kΩ or 250kΩ pots in there will open up the DiMarzios to where they should be. Should you splash out on a set of EMGs? Only you can answer that.
    Honestly, I'm torn. On the one hand, I don't have much use for single coils....never have...but I always think I need to have at least one guitar with them for those clean "in-between" Strat sounds. I may just get a H-H version and use the splits there, since that is essentially what I am doing with this one with the dual blade Dimarzio in the neck. Sounds great, btw.
    1997 Ibanez RG570
    2012 EBMM Luke 2

User Info Menu

That's a stress crack, and common around things like bridge bushings, as well as the neck pocket. It doesn't look structural at all, just cosmetic. Many people, like the seller, do not even notice them.

As for the single coil sounds, there are sounds you can get that you just can't get with a humbucker in the neck.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Invest a few bucks in a solid 500kOhms audio taper pot and then give it another try before going back to EMGs - only then you can really compare. Even if itīs up in volume fully clockwise itīs a different load.
    Mick
    EVH transblack 1995 slightly faded
    Silhouette transteal 1994 (updated with a compensated nut!)

Mickīs Guitar Center
    Landshut/Germany
    www.facebook.com/MicksGuitarCenter
    "We offer extremly high quality & extremly low prices! - Pick one!"

User Info Menu

I replaced the potentiometers with a couple of CTS pots that I had laying around. Much better sound. However, it’s a humbucking DiMarzio at the neck and bridge, so it’s not really a HSS set up.
    1997 Ibanez RG570
    2012 EBMM Luke 2