Music Man Modern Classics
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutlass RS HSS Or SSS

User Info Menu

Cutlass RS HSS Or SSS

Hi guys,

So I've had a Cutlass RS SSS in charcoal frost on order for a while now in the UK. It finally turned up today but unfortunately there's a slight issue with the finish which happened in transit near the neck joint on both sides. It has a couple of hairline cracks. I'm obviously not going to accept it and a replacement will take too long to arrive.

I can get another SSS version in a different finish or I have been offered the HSS version in the same finish for the same price and just wondered those who own the HSS version have you compared it to the SSS version? and what do you think I should go for?

Many thanks
    Paul

User Info Menu

I have a SSS (not roasted neck) and a RS HSS, so while its not a direct compare, its close.

Its a matter of preference, but if I had to choose one it would be the HSS. The bridge pickup on the HSS blends (tone & volume) so darn good with the singles that its just wonderful, just a little thicker and sounds fantastic clean or with gain.

That's my 2 cents,
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

It all depends why you chose the SSS. If you really had your heart set on three singles then that’s probably what you should do. I have not compared the two side by side but I can tell you, like Mike said the Cutlass humbucker is really great!

I would also mention that hairline cracks at the corner of the neck packet are very common on all brands of Bolt-on neck guitars, many people never even realise they are there. (Stress builds up a corners and cracks are a consequence of this, which is why we have round windows in pressurized aeroplanes). Those little tiny cracks are 99.9% of the time purely cosmetic and do not affect the wood. They are of no structural consequence. Personally if they’re small and hard to see I would keep the guitar. That’s just me, but I just thought I would mention it.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Whichever you go with, you’ll probably be looking to get the other configuration further down the line
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Ivory White
    Cutlass RS HSS - Firemist Silver
    Cutlass Hunter Hayes - Lake Tahoe Blue
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

User Info Menu

Thanks for your input guys much appreciated. You are correct I'd be looking to buy the other config next year anyway so maybe the HSS is good for me at the moment. I am getting it £100 less than it should be I suppose. I'm waiting for some pics of the HSS to come thru so I can make a decision.

I was gonna buy the SSS to replace my Strat in the band but then I figured it's only the in between position 2 sound I need to make sure is the same sort of tone as the Strat which I think it is.

The cracks don't look that bad to be honest but I don't really want to accept it. I'm sure you guys would say the same as me.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers
    Paul

User Info Menu

Cool man, keep us updated. Looking forward to the pictures. The inevitable question is: what colour would you have the other configuration in? What fingerboard wood do you prefer?
    Albert Lee HH - White

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TrapperJ View Post
    Cool man, keep us updated. Looking forward to the pictures. The inevitable question is: what colour would you have the other configuration in? What fingerboard wood do you prefer?
    I definitely want one with a rosewood board and then one with a maple board so at the moment I'm thinking HSS and the maple board and the SSS with the rosewood board. I've asked what other finishes in the HSS config they have in stock. If they haven't I'll go with the HSS in the charcoal with the rosewood board and get an SSS with a maple board later on next year.

Thinking about it more though my Strats are all maple necks and fingerboards so maybe SSS with a maple fingerboard would be a good idea anyway. Will shall see lol

I will let you all know what happens.

User Info Menu

Paul, I have an idea about how we may co-ordinate something- il PM you an idea in a bit
    Albert Lee HH - White

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

I've heard from my dealer and have some pics of the HSS in the Charcoal frost finish which is the only other model they have in stock at the moment. The HSS has a better figured neck where as the SSS which was damaged has a pretty plain neck.

I'm gonna go for the HSS and get an SSS at a later date.

I will post you all some pics when it turns up.

Thanks again for all your help fellas.

User Info Menu

Nice one, glad you got it sorted.
    Albert Lee HH - White

User Info Menu

Nice one, glad you got it sorted.
    Same here Chris. Sounds like some more models are on their way but it could be a few months yet. Did you sort your one out with Andy yet?

User Info Menu

Not yet, he has been waiting on some info from the distributor about which colours he can get in and when and how the distribution is going to work this quarter. He is gonna send me an update - probably hear from him soon now yours is in hand.
    I’m hoping for good news
    Albert Lee HH - White

User Info Menu

Bit of a development last night fellas. Apparently there was a cancelled order to one of the dealers over here in the UK and a Turquoise SSS model has become available. I've asked for some pics so I can check it out. Now I'm torn between the two!

User Info Menu

It is an exceptionally good colour
    Albert Lee HH - White

User Info Menu

It is an exceptionally good colour
    It is Chris you're right. I forgot you had one in that finish. I mentioned to Andy that you'd be interested in whichever guitar I don't go for and the other one. He said he was gonna email you today anyway.