Ernie Ball Cables
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AXIS GUITARS: TONE CONTROL, NECESSARY OR NOT? Opinions and experiences please

no
    2016 Axis Super Sport Trans Gold

I do use the tone control on mine, and i have treble bleeds on my volume pots where necessary. I like to use the tone knob to vary sounds across the pickups. However, Iím not a gigging musician so all my playing is just personal enjoyment and experimenting with writing bits and bobs and playing with sounds. I also play clean the majority of the time and use the amp settings in combo with the volume knob as the means to push into overdrive. Iím gonna get a Greer lightspeed pedal to experiment with soon. For reference my amp is 68 reissue vibrolux

Caveat - I donít own an axis, but I had a cabronita with no tone control, and i missed having the tone knob
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Albert Lee SSS - 3tsb ****SOLD***
    Cutlas SSS - Vintage Turquoise
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

I have JP's (no Axis or EVH) in my stable, but I have recently found myself using the tone knob to dial a bit of the harshness or "bite" out of my sound... obviously depending on the amp and signal chain, and what situation I am in. Mostly play rock and heavier stuff.

Can't say I would miss it a lot, especially if you have gear that you are confident in producing the quality sound you want at different volumes and in various situations.

I keep thinking that experimenting with it may be a good idea, but in 35+years I manage to forget every time I strap one on!

I think my ears are too shagged for anything other than max treble now too...
    COME ON YOU IRONS....

Quote Originally Posted by TrapperJ View Post
    I do use the tone control on mine, and i have treble bleeds on my volume pots where necessary. I like to use the tone knob to vary sounds across the pickups. However, I’m not a gigging musician so all my playing is just personal enjoyment and experimenting with writing bits and bobs and playing with sounds. I also play clean the majority of the time and use the amp settings in combo with the volume knob as the means to push into overdrive. I’m gonna get a Greer lightspeed pedal to experiment with soon. For reference my amp is 68 reissue vibrolux

Caveat - I don’t own an axis, but I had a cabronita with no tone control, and i missed having the tone knob

Hi !
    Interesting opinion, in short it is a matter of taste. When you use an Axis you do not have tone control (with the exception of the SS) and in my case I try to use the volume control; especially with the bridge pickup that sometimes has a very bright sound. These DiMarzio are excellent, I have no complaints about them but sometimes with the bridge pickup at high volumes the trebble is very intense for my taste. My main guitar is the Axis and then I prefer the Telecaster that has tone control. Recently I was asked about the advantages of the configuration of these Axis SS for having volume and tone control or for the custom Axis that Ritchie Castellano uses with Blue Oyster Cult.
    That curiosity made me start this Thread

Thanks for your opinion !

Quote Originally Posted by ohbugger View Post
    I have JP's (no Axis or EVH) in my stable, but I have recently found myself using the tone knob to dial a bit of the harshness or "bite" out of my sound... obviously depending on the amp and signal chain, and what situation I am in. Mostly play rock and heavier stuff.

Can't say I would miss it a lot, especially if you have gear that you are confident in producing the quality sound you want at different volumes and in various situations.
    Good ! Something similar has happened to me but I only use the volume control for obvious reasons (I use an Axis)

Funny you ask this since the same subject has been kicking around the back of my head ever since picking up a circa 2000 Axis a while back.

I never ever use the tone knob. Ever.

I take that back. Sometimes, when I'm playing a guitar with a tone knob, it doesn't sound right. Then I realize it's because the tone knob has rolled off from its zero position.
    2014 Majesty - Polar Noir
    2000 Axis - Trans Gold

In guitars with really bright single coils I'll use a tone control. Humbuckers, almost never.

In most of my guitars I've replaced the tone control with a fixed resistor (to keep the same load on the pickups) and used the tone control for something else- coil split, blend pot, etc.

I replaced the "volume" knob with a "tone" knob on both of my standard Axis guitars... problem solved, "tone" control.
    Trans Gold Axis- Flame (DOB 12.13.1996)
    Trans Green Axis Sport (DOB 12.02.1997)
    Trans Green Axis- Quilt (DOB 03.14.2000)
    Black 2HB AL (DOB 12.01.2009)
    White HSS Silo Spec (DOB 3.16.2014)

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    In guitars with really bright single coils I'll use a tone control. Humbuckers, almost never.

In most of my guitars I've replaced the tone control with a fixed resistor (to keep the same load on the pickups) and used the tone control for something else- coil split, blend pot, etc.
    And how about the result? interesting because I had never thought about it

Quote Originally Posted by Stratty316 View Post
    I replaced the "volume" knob with a "tone" knob on both of my standard Axis guitars... problem solved, "tone" control.
    Proper 'fix'...
    Enjoy Your Balls!!!

Quote Originally Posted by danielbravo View Post
    And how about the result? interesting because I had never thought about it
    With a resistor instead of the pot the sound is the same (as a tone pot on 10). And having a variable coil split is easier than drilling holes for additional switches.