Music Man Modern Classics
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music Man Axis Super Sport Neck dark

Music Man Axis Super Sport Neck dark

Hi, first of all i just want to introduce myself. My name is Jose and Im writing from Spain, (so, apologize about my english).
    I just purchase an Axis Super Sport, and the back looks dirty (in pics, i dont have it yet) but i when I call my luthier to tell that I have a new baby and telling when he be able to make a revision. He scared me about the neck could have mushrooms, and, even if not, never became as originally was.. (not a really big problem if its ok). So I want to share the photos I have and regarding your opinion about who the neck looks to you.. I have a lot of controversial emotions righr now because I was really happy with purchasing my firs EBMM, but now Im a little worried and disapointed... I send you the captures on the phone, as soon i have it in my hand I will take better pics.
    Looks so bad to you?. Did you see any problems on it?.

MANY THANKS TO ALL!!

Enviado desde mi MHA-L29 mediante Tapatalk
    09 YAMAHA SG 3000
    04 YAMAHA LL36
    00 EBMM AXIS SS HARDTAIL (COMING TO HOME)

YAMAHA THR 10
    GK 250ML

Congrats on your new guitar! Mushrooms he said? Never heard that before and I'm not sure what that would even look like. Judging from the pictures only it's just a neck that has been played intensively. You will indeed not get it back to the original color, but after a good cleaning the playability should be great. I had dirty Music Man necks in my hands and cleaning will freshen it up quite a bit, especially with the oil/wax treatment applied to it.
    EBMM - AL MM90 White
    EBMM - AL HH Black Sugar Roasted Maple
    EBMM - Reflex White
    EBMM - Armada Black flamed
    EBMM - JP7 White
    EBMM - JP6 Silver
    EBMM - Cutlass Vintage Turquoise
    EBMM - Stingray Starry Night

Mesa Boogie RA-100
    Marshall SL5
    Yamaha THR5

This is normal. Clean with steel wool 0000 and do the oil/wax treatment and you'll be good to go. It's what happens to MM guitars. No biggie. I have had success using paint stripper to get the color and dirty look to lessen a lot. Then you could amber stain it after then oil/wax. But I'd try my first suggestion first.

Don't know.. there are theories that birds eye figure is caused by fungus. Maybe that's what the luthier meant. Otherwise it looks fine.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    ASS BFR, AL HH, Silo

This one looks to me like the owner treated the neck and fingerboard with an oil of some kind that darkened it, as the "dirt" (I don't think it's dirt) is so consistent across the entirety of the non-glossed part of the neck and board. You may not need to do anything at all to it, but can always clean and re-apply the oil/wax treatment. I suspect it will always have a darker color than the headstock, though.

Maybe your luthier saw the birds-eye in the neck and made the mushroom comment about that? It looks like a beautiful piece of maple!
    ---------------
    2018 Valentine in Three-tone Burst
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    2016 Valentine in Trans Maroon
    2014 Axis SS Semi-Hollow MM90 with Piezo
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette Hardtail with Piezo

Many thanks to all for your quick answer.

He told me about the fungus, because the color turns a little greener in the photos (I do not have phisically yet its in her way to Spain).

The truth is in the beginning looks to me like a good piece of birdseye (darker i think it was because of dirty), but its true looks really uniform, so maybe is the treatment for the previous owners.

Now Im a little more relax about it, because no one tell something alarm, many thanks. Maybe the best idea is to disamble the neck an make a good clean/oil treatment as many people sugest.
    Or maybe I dont need to do nothing and is just the color she have, the only pitty on that is that looks like a really good birdseye, and not shine to much because looks too dark.. as soon she arrives, I could have a better idea of everything..

As I said many thanks to all, and what a great discover this forum. Looks amazing!!
    09 YAMAHA SG 3000
    04 YAMAHA LL36

YAMAHA THR 10
    GK 250ML

I think it looks cool. I’d leave it.
    Click for my band

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Valentine Satin Natural #G77122 (8/26/16)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

Quote Originally Posted by D.Giusseppe View Post
    Many thanks to all for your quick answer.

He told me about the fungus, because the color turns a little greener in the photos (I do not have phisically yet its in her way to Spain).

The truth is in the beginning looks to me like a good piece of birdseye (darker i think it was because of dirty), but its true looks really uniform, so maybe is the treatment for the previous owners.

Now Im a little more relax about it, because no one tell something alarm, many thanks. Maybe the best idea is to disamble the neck an make a good clean/oil treatment as many people sugest.
    Or maybe I dont need to do nothing and is just the color she have, the only pitty on that is that looks like a really good birdseye, and not shine to much because looks too dark.. as soon she arrives, I could have a better idea of everything..

As I said many thanks to all, and what a great discover this forum. Looks amazing!!
    Do not worry about this, these neck over time take this color, they go darkening a bit. I have one of these for 11 years and the color of the wood in the neck has been changing progressively. You can clean it as you have been here and its appearance will improve a bit but this is a normal process by use.
    My recommendation: enjoy it!

I am in the camp that it looks like that was intentionally darkened, or attempted to be. Honest discoloration from use would not be that even, especially on the fret board. Removing the neck would possibly tell the story as well. If it's dark under there or not, is teh application very neat to the body contour, etc. It's not a bad thing but I don't think that's a natural result. Perhaps a test with a little alcohol or thinner would show if it's a stain that would transfer to a rag. If so a quick wipe or two with that solvent might lighten it a bit if it bothers you. Then a nice wax and you're as good as you'll get.
    2016 Axis Super Sport Trans Gold

I would wipe it down with some lemon oil and/or wonder wipes to see if you get any dark residue off.

That certainly doesn't look like fungus or mildew. Just a neck that's been oiled, possibly with a gunstock oil that has some tint to it.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

I think it looks awesome as is!! I'd rather see a dirty maple neck than a super clean white one.. my opinion only! Enjoy that new guitar

Like others, I'd suspect it was the type of oil or cleaner that the previous owner used on it. These unfinished necks do darken over time as well, though. My 2007's neck is a few shades darker than the finished headstock, though not nearly this dark. I doubt that there's any serious issue here.

If you want to lighten it, you might try a little Barkeeper's Friend on a less noticeable spot. I know a couple of people who swear by that stuff to clean up grungy old maple fretboards.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis Super Sport Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black
    A half-dozen pawn shop beaters no one cares about

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

She finally arrives!! Its dark, but not too much... For me looks really cool!!. Cleaning it with wonder wipes, doent sing any dirt so clearly is the tone of any oil or something like that. So finally I keep it as is.. Thats my guitar, and it is what is.. With his 18 years of history behind.. So perfect!!.. Many thabks to all

Enviado desde mi MHA-L29 mediante Tapatalk
    09 YAMAHA SG 3000
    04 YAMAHA LL36

YAMAHA THR 10
    GK 250ML

She's gorgeous. That neck is beautiful- I wouldn't change a thing.

Congrats and welcome! Beautiful guitar!
    EBMM 25th Anniversary G47729 DOB 8/5/2009
    SBMM SUB AX4 Duncan JB/Jazz pups SD pots StoneTone Rock Block trem block upgrade
    EBMM - a guitar like no other.
    Even we mancave noodlers can appreciate the perfection that is an EBMM guitar.
    "one likes to believe in the freedom of music..."