Ernie Ball CRNR Jimmy Page

Thread: St.Vincent neck wood iterations?

User Info Menu

St.Vincent neck wood iterations?

Hey,
    For some reason I caught the St. Vincent bug. Can someone explain the various neck wood changes over the years? Did they start out with maple and rosewood/ebony and then go to all rosewood, and now to roasted maple and rosewood or ebony? If that's correct, why? Hard to find one of these guitars in person, so I'm wondering if there are differences depending on the version of neck wood. I'm also very anti-neck dive, so would one neck version be more or less prone to dive?
    Thanks all.
    -J

User Info Menu

Wood history
    1. All rosewood
    2. 2017 BFRs - one was all Wenge, one was Roasted Maple and Rosewood board
    3. The current offerings - all roasted maple with different boards as per specs on website (not sure if stealth one is roasted or not- it’s not clear on the website)

Move from all Rosewood likely reaction to CITES

Albert Lee HH still all Rpsewood but they sell less of them than St V
    Last edited by TrapperJ; 09-15-2018 at 09:35 AM.
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlas SSS - Ivory White
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

User Info Menu

Hey,

It’s a great bug to have!

Cheers!

Awaiting:
    2018 Majesty Monarchy 7 in Majestic Purple
    2018 St. Vincent HHH in Vincent Blue

User Info Menu

If only they had the S-S-S in blue dawn!
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

hey, so how about the Starry Night edition? I see a used one locally but seems to be going for much more than other used HHH models.

User Info Menu

Great package Starry Night is roasted maple neck with Ebony fret board. It makes sense it's selling for more as it was a limited quantity kind of thing.

Glenn |B)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GWDavis28; 10-08-2018 at 06:31 AM.
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

Come someone confirm whether this version has stainless steel frets?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yyzed View Post
    Come someone confirm whether this version has stainless steel frets?
    Google search:

Starry Night | Premier Dealer Network | Ernie Ball Music Man

And it does.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

I miss the rosewood necks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by St_G View Post
    I miss the rosewood necks.
    Used man, that's the way you'll get an all rosewood neck these days, unless they do some special run.

Sorry, Glenn |B)

User Info Menu

There have been updates in the CITES world lately, from what my friends in the industry tell me, so who knows what the future may bring. It currently looks to be musical instruments, and parts, so I don't know what effect that will have on raw materials.

The Committee will exempt “finished musical instruments”, “finished musical instrument parts” and “finished musical instrument accessories” from its licensing requirements, although the exact definition of those terms will be defined in a proposal document prepared in cooperation with the EU.
    Breakthrough at Latest CITES Meeting << MMR Magazine

User Info Menu

Huh. Well, there you go getting my hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    There have been updates in the CITES world lately, from what my friends in the industry tell me, so who knows what the future may bring. It currently looks to be musical instruments, and parts, so I don't know what effect that will have on raw materials.

Breakthrough at Latest CITES Meeting << MMR Magazine

User Info Menu

Rosewood necks are definitely nice. However, so are the roasted maple necks. The "roasting" process increases the hardness and density significantly, so the difference is not nearly as much as with standard maple.