EBMM Stingray bass green

Thread: Reflex pickup change advice.

User Info Menu

Reflex pickup change advice.

I have a pre game changer Reflex that I absolutely love.
    It has the Dimarzio pups with the series/parallel spilt controls, normally I hate that stuff but it’s awesome in my EBMM.
    My main bridge choice is the super Distortion and I was wondering if I could just drop one in?
    Will the pickup ring have to be changed?
    I’d like to retain all the features but with the power of the super D in the bridge.
    Anyone have any experience modding the EBMM wiring?

User Info Menu

It sure, but if you decide to part with that reflex bridge pickup, I’d buy it from you.
    Click for my band

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Valentine Satin Natural #G77122 (8/26/16)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

I'm wondering what a super distortion would sound like in series? And I'm thinking I wouldn't like it?

And then I found this on the Dimarzio website:

The Super Distortion® is primarily a bridge position pickup, although it can be used in the neck position with a relatively low-gain amp. Specifically designed for solid-bodies: hollow and semi-hollow guitars can be hard to control with warm, high output pickups.
    "Do you want me to start this song too slow or too fast?"

Armada, Gamechanger reflex, Y2D, JP6, Steve Morse, 25th Anniversary Reflex
    4 Stratocasters, RG3120, Variax, Yamaha S90XS, Hammond XK-3c

User Info Menu

I’m pretty sure Paul Gilbert ran dual Super Ds in series/parallel. It’s known for its versatility in series, and split.
    I’m not worried about it being too hot in the reflex. Even though it’s a chambered body with a tone block, I wouldn’t consider the reflex a semi-hollow body in the practical sense. It’s not a lot hotter than the stock Dimarzio in my reflex now. Little more output, little more lows and low mids.
    I think the super D is the greatest pup of all time and would sound amazing with the Reflexes wiring.
    Last edited by Samhain; 09-17-2018 at 06:30 AM.

User Info Menu

It’s looking like the problem I’m having is making a super D work with the EBMM pickup ring.

User Info Menu

Shouldn't be a problem for most humbucking pickups without a cover. I swapped out the standard pickups for Suhr Thornbuckers in my 25th without issue. Pay attention to how the rubber gasket keeps the pickups screws attached and you should be fine.
    EVH - Blue Quilt
    1995 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2009 - 25th Anniversary
    2011 - Luke II - True Gold BFR
    2012 - Axis Tribute - Trans Pink
    2014 - Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow (Reflex mod) - Black Cherry Burst
    2016 - Cutlass - Vintage Sunburst
    2017 - St. Vincent - Stealth Black

Take a break from playin' guitar and read a webcomic: nemu*nemu!