Ernie Ball Prodigy Picks

Thread: New to the Music Man family, just got a Luke III

User Info Menu

New to the Music Man family, just got a Luke III

Iíve never had a Music Man guitar before so I decided to order a Luke III from Sweetwater since they have 48 months zero interest going on It plays and sounds great just needs a couple tweaks to make it perfect. Anyone have any tips on getting lower action from frets 12-22? itís a little higher than Iím used to.

Here it is:

Scott
    Music Man BFR Luke III Hazel Burst Flame

User Info Menu

Very nice!
    Sounds like you may have to much back bow set on the neck.
    First, adjust your necks relief with the truss rod. I check mine by holding down the E string at the first and last fret.
    Then, adjust your action at the saddles.

User Info Menu

Congratulations!! Very pretty. Especially the black hardware combined with that finish. I suggest you swap the pearl tuner buttons for chrome ones. They are very cheap and easy to change. It would look great with the chrome bridge.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237

User Info Menu

Well, sir, welcome to the family! You have arrived in STYLE! Awesome hazel burst LIII!

RE: your action, a couple things. Stock, the LIII ships with the trem pulled forward off the body so it floats. Looks like maybe you went in back and cranked down the springs so it lies flat on the body? Is Ok if that's how you want it, but letting you know how it ships in case someone at Sweetwater messed with it.

Next, to set your action on a Music Man, 99 times out of 100 it's the truss rod adjustment that will set you free. This video from Drew Montell @ EBMM will tell you all you need to know.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! I may get rid of the float, I’m still getting used to this trem with that extra piece of metal that sticks up off the bridge. That is a little odd to me. All I know is this is one of the nicest feeling necks I’ve ever played.

User Info Menu

Nice!
    86934 - This EVH was completed on August 29th, 1995. Trans Red.
    G50887 - This Albert Lee HH was completed on August 13th, 2010. 1 off- Lake Placid Blue
    N00363 - This Armada was completed on September 27th, 2013. Mint Green
    G47271 - This 25th Anniversary HH was completed on April 27th, 2009. Venetian Redburst

User Info Menu

To lower the action, first you should use the grub screws on the saddles. If you need it lower than that, you'll have to change the neck angle with a shim.

"Factory string setting for standard tuning starts at the bass side 4/64" (1.59 mm) to 5/64" (1.98 mm) and the treble side is 3/64" (1.19 mm) to 4/64" (1.59 mm) measured from the 12th fret to the bottom of the strings"

This is the same as the factory action on Gibson guitars and G&L guitars, though Fender sets theirs a bit lower.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck