EBMM Stingray bass green

Thread: Did JP ever really use the JPX?

User Info Menu

Did JP ever really use the JPX?

So I just recently bought my second JPX and noticed something...other than the drummer tryout video, I donít recall him ever playing the JPX. Am I just missing instances of him using it? Or maybe as he maybe not as happy with it as other models?
    1991 Gibson Les Paul Studio
    Peavey Wolfgang Special
    Luke 2 - Radiance Red (April 21, 2004)
    Takamine EF341SC

User Info Menu

Good question!! =D

I haven't seen him using it on stage. I have been wondering the same thing. That 5-position switch... Bad choice if you ask me, on an otherwise BEAUTIFUL instrument.

JPXI Cardinal Red
    JP12 Cherry Sugar
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red
    JP15 Transluscent Black
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso
    MONARCHY MAJESTY 7 Black Knight
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboogie View Post
    Good question!! =D

I haven't seen him using it on stage. I have been wondering the same thing. That 5-position switch... Bad choice if you ask me, on an otherwise BEAUTIFUL instrument.
    I havenít had the privilege to see DT live yet, but didnít the JPX release come between tours and records? I think JP already had JPXI prototypes for the recording of ADTOE, whereas the X came about towards the end of BC&SL tour. Perhaps he used it on that tour.

The five way switch and chambering is why I want a JPX. The jumbo frets keep me away, though. I have a different brand guitar with HH configuration and a 5 way switch and love the switching options it has. Out of the entire JP line, Iíd venture the JPX is the most different, especially considering the order the models were released (JP6, BFR, X, XI, etc...)
    JP6 Pearl White born 1/11/11
    Majesty Monarchy Imperial Blue born 1/23/18
    Cutlass SSS Ivory White born 6/13/16
    Cutlass HSS Ivory White born 1/10/18
    Stingray RS Firemist Silver born 6/5/18
    Sub1 born 5/26/04
    Mesa Boogies

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboogie View Post
    Good question!! =D

Oh yes definitely beautiful. I actually just took it back to Guitar Center last night after realizing the Piezo was not working on the E-string. Truth be told I don’t like the painted neck and I didn’t realize with the first one but I really don’t like the five position selector location when I’m playing on the next pick up. I hit it all the time. I swapped it out for a Luke BFR in Hazel burst, and I think that’s much more my style.
    Last edited by Exodus5; 09-25-2018 at 07:20 AM.
    Peavey Wolfgang Special
    Takamine EF341SC

User Info Menu

Maddi has talked about stage use of the JPX with me in the past, hopefully he can stop in and summarize JP's usage so I don't mis-type anything!

From what I remember about the creation of it, it was viewed as a chance to try chambering in the JP line after the 25th Anniversary EBMM came out (chambered body, 5-way toggle, eventually became the Reflex model), much like how the very first BFR prototype came from building a JP based on the 20th Anniversary Silhouette (alder body, tone block, maple cap).
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://www.DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

No idea, but it may not be the only "JP" guitar that he isn't actually using. I've seen very little actual footage other than promotional videos of him using a JP15 either.
    But who cares really? I actually picked mine despite (!) it being a signature model - and I am actually a big DT and JP fan. But I still prefer making things my own and don't need somebody else's name on the headstock. But then again, I have a Les Paul and a Washburn N4 also that I adore. Go figure.
    The JP guitars are well-made, very versatile workhorses, each model with a slightly different spin. I'm actually gasing after a second one (black 6 string this time vs the green 7 string I have).

JP16 may actually be another one that was made with a different audience in mind but probably doesn't get much use by the man himself.

User Info Menu

he has usd them all on stage and in the studio The majesty has stolen most of the thunder lately
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

User Info Menu

Well, I guess he has too many different signature guitars to choose from.
    Peavey Wolfgang Special
    Takamine EF341SC

User Info Menu

I may write something wrong, but wasn't one of his live guitars having a unique green drawing on the body being a JPX ? Or maybe a grey one.
    JP12 Cherry Sugar (Piezo, Inlays, Headstock) Born 05/14/12
    JP7 Pearl Redburst (Piezo, inlays, headstock) Born 02/13/04
    Sold : JP6 Blue dawn & JP6 Mystic dream
    Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
    Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
    https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    I may write something wrong, but wasn't one of his live guitars having a unique green drawing on the body being a JPX ? Or maybe a grey one.
    The one with the green custom graphic is a JPXI. The grey one you are talking about is probably the one with the perforated aluminium top. JPXI as well.

JPXI Cardinal Red
    JP12 Cherry Sugar
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red
    JP15 Transluscent Black
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso
    MONARCHY MAJESTY 7 Black Knight
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver

User Info Menu

I dont recall JP using the JPX live when I've seen DT. There isn't much evidence in pictures. Based on JPs track record of testing out products on the road, he's most certainly used it live at some point. Maddi would know for sure what the extent of that was.
    JP6 Mystic Dream
    JP6 DD2
    JP6 BFR Walnut
    JP6 White Sparkle
    JP6 BFR Cherry Burst
    JPX6
    JP6 Olive Gold
    JP6 Blue Dawn
    JP13 Cardinal Red Sparkle
    JP6 Stealth White
    JP6 Gold Sparkle
    JP6 Starry Night
    JP6 Autumn Red
    Luke III Buttercream

User Info Menu

The JPX makes an appearance in the Drummer Documentary.