Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which should I buy JP15 or LUKE III?

User Info Menu

Both HH and SSH are good. Depends on what kind of sound you are looking for. The electronics makes the volume drop off for the singles quite a bit less than other designs. The singles are noiseless stacked singles, but they have a great sound. Its probably the ONLY SSH guitar I have played that I really like. The volume drop off with the singles always kills me.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

I have LIII hss but also wanted to buy JP15 to enhance my tonal palette with piezo and higher output HH pickups . Ended up purchasing Majesty due to great deal I was offered .
    Both are great guitars but , as said above , fillet vs lobster - two different beasts .
    Last edited by look_at_her; 10-03-2018 at 04:32 AM.
    2007 Rad Red LUKE SOLD
    2008 Tobacco Burst Axis SOLD
    2013 Bodhi Blue LIII hss SOLD
    2016 Majesty Artisan Azurro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by look_at_her View Post
    I have LIII hss but also wanted to buy JP15 to enhance my tonal palette with piezo and higher output HH pickups . Ended up purchasing Majesty due to great deal I was offered .
    Both are great guitars but , as said above , fillet vs lobster - two different beasts .
    I've done exactly this coincidentally... I have an HSS BFR LIII and just bought a quilt top J15 that arrives Friday. I plan on gigging them both later in the month. I'll post a basic review after I spend some time with the JP15 on the weekend

User Info Menu

Looking forward to check your review. Have fun!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asyntek View Post
    Looking forward to check your review. Have fun!
    OK... I've had almost a week to play on the JP15 and will gig both it and the BFR Luke III...I can't say I like one over the other! Both are such stellar, impeccable quality instruments, they make my 5 Fenders Strats (which I normally gig 2 of) seem like sub-standard, shoddily crafted guitars, but Strats do their "thing" as well. My plan is to bring my HSS Luke III to replace bringing an HSS Strat to gigs, and either bring the JP or a USA Sig EVH Wolfgang for my HH guitar.

Now functional versatility, the JP wins with its ability to coil split and engage the piezo pickup, no doubt. It's pickups are hotter, but never muddy through my amps... Even the neck pickup doesn't get flubby, which I just LOVE. I hate when a neck pickup is too boomy or too fat on the low strings. This neck & bridge pickup are very articulate and usable. The guitar looks and sounds TITS and the build quality, I'd put up there higher than most out there and with any other high end or custom manufacturer... Same for the Luke. The sustain on both are insane... Like Les Paul long...

Now the Luke... Can definitely get those authentic single coil tones... Since it has single coils, haha... But without the typical 60 cycle hum of singles. It also maintains volume if switching between them and the humbucker. Both of my guitars have SS frets and I'll never go to anything other than that. Bends are glassy smooth and effortless.... The neck on the JP definitely thinner. Neither for me, require any adjusting to or "getting use to". If I were to wish both necks were identical, I'd go with the Luke. But MAN is that roasted flame maple neck on the JP f'n gorgeous! The 24 frets on the JP are nice too... No real adjustment necessary.

I'll be keeping both and I'm sure both will kick ass live. I've not played either at our gigs so can hopefully post a vid within a couple weeks of using one or the other, or both at a gig I have on the 20th...at stage volume levels through the amp & PA.

Hope this gives an overview and feel free to ask any questions you might have
    Last edited by Axis_SC; 10-11-2018 at 11:31 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your review. Very helpful. I hope you are enjoying it live as well.

How you would describe the tone differences? Which one is closer to a LesPaul-like punch?
    Last edited by asyntek; 11-01-2018 at 02:07 PM.

User Info Menu

By the way. EBBM website describes Luke3 frets as “low profile, wide”. What that would be in Dunlop fretwire terms, 6150? Or Fender’s medium jumbo?

User Info Menu

I had an L3 HH and it was very versatile with the coil splitting options. The roasted neck on that thing was AMAZING.
    The frets - to me - felt very fender-esque…

Also, I was not wild about the coil split volume/tone on the HH...
    Last edited by wesman11483; 11-07-2018 at 09:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Thank you guys for you feedback. I will go for an EBBM L3.

User Info Menu

Great choice!

User Info Menu

The LIII is a great axe. Enjoy!
    Starry Night LIII HH
    Bali Burst LIII HH
    some other LIIIs
    25th Anniversary