Ernie Ball CRNR Jimmy Page
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What straps are you using on JP guitars?

What straps are you using on JP guitars?

Been playing my JP15-7 a lot lately and I'm re-assessing my strap. I opted for a slightly wider (2.5"+) Levy leather strap with some faux green gator coating on top. Looks pretty cool with the green flame top but turns out to be a bit stiffer than I like. Been loosening it up a bit and it's getting better. Actually also ordered new Schaller "S-Locks" which are supposedly noise-free unlike the original Schallers that I currently use on most guitars.

I could just bite the bullet and get another Moody strap of the same kind I use on my Strats. But I also like the DiMarzio ClipLocks (the JPB model may or may not be an obvious choice her - certainly looks nice and are quickly adjustable) but know from other guitars that the do ding up the finish a bit, especially at the bottom.

What are you guys using and why?

What straps are you using on JP guitars?-37842787982_2241549539_o-jpg
    Last edited by 7enderbender; 10-01-2018 at 10:03 AM.

Same Dimarzio strap JP uses, because it's about the shortest I can find and I like my guitar sitting nice and high on me. I also like the clip-on aspect of them, and the fact that I can swap the same strap between my 2 guitars by installing the Dimarzio clip locks on both of them.

When I play gigs, I use the same strap on my guitars - a Levy's MSS80 2" padded leather strap. My guitars all all similar enough in size & shape that one straps works for all, which is perfect because I use a wireless guitar system and have the transmitter attached to the strap.
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

I tend to use basic straps on all of my guitars. However, I currently use the Ernie Ball locks on all of my EBMM guitars. They are noiseless, and I find that they have eliminated all of the downsides of both the Schaller and Dunlop designs. I also like that the removal latch requires two fingers to work, which ensures you never have them fall out by accident.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

I have two Levys 2" straps (MSS8 polypropylene and MSSR8 Rayon) both in black. The Rayon strap is particularly lovely. Because of those I was going to order another in brown for the Cutlass. When I got the guitar I ordered an Ernie Ball polypro strap, just to have something quick and cheap until I ordered the good strap.. Ya know what? It's cheap as chips, clearly lower quality than the Levy's, but I love it! It's super light weight, the brown matches the rosewood on the guitar, and it's almost nearly just as comfortable as the Levy's straps. I'm keeping it!

Oh, and EB Super Locks.Only Super Locks! I gave the Schallers away to my guitar students. (And I feel a little bad about that.)
    Last edited by DrKev; 10-01-2018 at 12:50 PM.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

I don't have any JP guitars, but I really dig Couch straps and I have one Jodi Head hootenanny strap. I used to use Dimarzio clip-locks, but finally abandoned them for something with more flair and personality.
    Click for my band

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Valentine Satin Natural #G77122 (8/26/16)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

I have a thing about matching straps to guitars. On most of mine, I've got Perri's 2.5-inch leather graphic straps, with a graphic that matches the color or feel of the guitar in most cases. I also have a couple of Walker & Williams straps that I like. I put the DiMarzio cliplocks on the guitars I built last year, and I have cheaper straps on my cheaper guitars.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis Super Sport Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black
    A half-dozen pawn shop beaters no one cares about

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

I'm only 5'4" and prefer the guitar higher up as well. That being said, I wish the dimarzio clip lock leather version would work for me, but it's just too long even at it's minimum length. For some reason the non-leather versions are able to be adjusted smaller than the leather version. Dumb. Anyway, because of this I use the standard clip locks for one of my lighter JPs, but for my JPXI-7, which is quite heavy, I use the planet waves ratcheting leather strap.

While I have zero issues with my planet waves leather straps, I can't recommend them anymore. I have the original version from a few years ago, but they have since updated the design. Everything about the new design seems wrong to me, from the super cheap feeling release tab to the "non-mar" finish on the ends. I gave up searching for the original design. It seems there are non left. (If anyone out there has the original planet waves leather version that they don't use I'd gladly buy it off you!)
    Current EBMM Guitars:
    2012 JPXI-7
    2014 JP6 BFR Koa
    2018 Valentine

My Youtube Channel

I tend to color-coordinate the straps to the guitar, with no regard to brand/mfg. I do set them all so the guitar is at the same spot on my body, measured at the high E string at the neck pickup.

E-standard
    DMC JP - Black EB polypro
    Gold Sparkle Majesty - EB Gold Sparkle leather strap (one of the old ones from 2010?)
    Blue Dawn JP - currently strapless
    Molten Gemstone JP7 - Some hideous 2" red snakeskin leather strap, no brand

E-flat
    JPXI - 2.5" silver/zebra leather strap, no brand
    Dargie JP - Custom 2.5 leather strap with DD Martini embroidery (from double-treble)
    sbmm Sapphire Maj- EB Jacquard/polypro in blue
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://www.DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

Quote Originally Posted by Etudica View Post
    I'm only 5'4" and prefer the guitar higher up as well. That being said, I wish the dimarzio clip lock leather version would work for me, but it's just too long even at it's minimum length. For some reason the non-leather versions are able to be adjusted smaller than the leather version. Dumb. Anyway, because of this I use the standard clip locks for one of my lighter JPs, but for my JPXI-7, which is quite heavy, I use the planet waves ratcheting leather strap.

Dimarzio will shorten the straps for free. I used to have them do this because they seemed way too unreasonably long.
    Click for my band

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Valentine Satin Natural #G77122 (8/26/16)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

Basic straps like d'addario satch strap, plus fender elastic strap lock
    JP12 Cherry Sugar (Piezo, Inlays, Headstock) Born 05/14/12
    JP7 Pearl Redburst (Piezo, inlays, headstock) Born 02/13/04
    Sold : JP6 Blue dawn & JP6 Mystic dream
    Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
    Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
    https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlas SSS - Ivory White
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

Dimarzio JP cliplock, shorter length.
    "The more of our stuff you have the more awesomely freaky you become." -- BP

I never thought about straps... I'm still using the basic, black leather strap that came with my first electric 23 years ago And its the only one I got.

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    Oh, and EB Super Locks.Only Super Locks! I gave the Schallers away to my guitar students. (And I feel a little bad about that.)
    Wow, I can't believe I never knew about the EB super locks. How in the hell did I miss this? Gonna order some right now.

Quote Originally Posted by radrock View Post
    Dimarzio will shorten the straps for free. I used to have them do this because they seemed way too unreasonably long.
    Also did not know this. Thanks radrock. Some good stuff in this thread so far.
    Current EBMM Guitars:
    2012 JPXI-7
    2014 JP6 BFR Koa
    2018 Valentine

My Youtube Channel