Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bitten By The EBMM EVH Bug Again

Which one is which? Which one is warm/resonant and which one is articulate?

That natural one is the bomb. I’d go with that one all day long.
    Click for my band

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Valentine Satin Natural #G77122 (8/26/16)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

Quote Originally Posted by radrock View Post
    That natural one is the bomb. I’d go with that one all day long.
    You talking about this one??

Bitten By The EBMM EVH Bug Again-nat-jpg

I liked this one too.

PS Nice strap, I have one just like that!!!

Glenn |B)
    Last edited by GWDavis28; 10-05-2018 at 10:22 AM.
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

The gold is just gorgeous and nostalgic. I ordered a gold to get the same as the artist played, but fell in love with a Sunburst at the shop. The greatsest thing about guitars are tat they are kind of "alive". They all have personalities. The natural is probably rarer, but if you're a player go with the one you dig. And gimme a good deal on the other one
    Axis "tribute" Solid Gold
    Marshal plexi 1987 x Modded
    Thd Bivalve
    Marshall cabs
    Garbage strats , a pile of them
    2005 Les Paul Premium Plus
    A bunch of Danelectro's
    1967 200 watt Marshall major

Quote Originally Posted by dibart77 View Post
    Which one is which? Which one is warm/resonant and which one is articulate?

The Trans Gold is the warm/resonant one, the Natural is the articulate one.

Since there aren't that many responses to this thread (though I do appreciate all who have responded so far!), I will go ahead and say that initially I fell in love with the Natural one. In terms of looks, to me it's more refined and sexier.

With the same settings on my Divided By 13 JRT 9/15, when pushed with a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret pedal, the Natural one has more of an Angus Young type tone where the Trans Gold one is more along the lines of EVH and George Lynch. That nice naturally compressed smooth sustain sound.

With cranked natural saturated tube distortion, I can coax some really nice 70's classic rock tones out of both guitars that give me the chills. The same goes for when I run them through my '68 Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue. I think Eddie and EBMM did a fantastic job of creating a Les Paul/Strat/Tele (WRHB) hybrid.

I should mention that I stopped playing 80's metal years ago in lieu of more modern Indie/Alternative type music. Both of these guitars can handle the genre's quite nicely. I like to dabble in the blues as well. These guitars can handle the blues, but I still prefer to reach for my Strats for that. So basically both excel in rhythm work. The Trans Gold has the slight edge for soloing.

Both guitars resonate well, but the Trans Gold more so than the other one. Both are articulate but in that area the Natural edges out the Trans Gold. That is not to say the the Gold one sounds "sloppy" or that the notes run together. It is easier to get pinched harmonics and controllable feedback from the Trans Gold.

For now I am going to keep both. I need time to swap the electronic components and play around with different pot values to see how much these are contributing to the overall tone. Unplugged, the Trans Gold is the clear winner.

I've had some guitar plater friends come over and they are drawing the same conclusions. My wife who is not musical at all did note that the Trans Gold "sounds warmer".

Ok, so after playing both guitars unplugged for the past several days I think I have the tone difference mystery solved.

All things being equal (new strings same brand/gauge, pick, string height, neck relief, room, etc.), the neck on the Natural has a more snappy tone similar to a maple necked Strat, where the Trans Gold has a warmer tone edging towards a Rosewood neck tone. I confirmed this by swapping the necks. My ears definitely like the the warmer tone better. Probably because I have two Strats and a Tele that already have the snappy maple neck tones.
    Last edited by Alrod; 10-13-2018 at 04:32 AM. Reason: spelling

This thread has made me want an EVH.
    SBMM Cutlass Seafoam Green
    SBMM Albert Lee - Daphne Blue
    EBMM Silo Special

Quote Originally Posted by TonyEVH5150 View Post
    This thread has made me want an EVH.
    This thread makes me wanna have a guitar tech!
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.

Nice, definitely keep both. I regret selling mine. I love my axis but , wood ages, parts age, and all guitars have their own soul. Enjoy brother
    Axis "tribute" Solid Gold
    Marshal plexi 1987 x Modded
    Thd Bivalve
    Marshall cabs
    Garbage strats , a pile of them
    2005 Les Paul Premium Plus
    A bunch of Danelectro's
    1967 200 watt Marshall major

Quote Originally Posted by bischero View Post
    Nice, definitely keep both. I regret selling mine. I love my axis but , wood ages, parts age, and all guitars have their own soul. Enjoy brother
    Thanks. Keeping both is the plan for now. They are both amazing in their own way. The Natural is great for cleaner/edgier stuff, and the Trans Gold is great for soloing and heavier stuff. I can actually do both with either, but I like taking advantage of their unique strengths.