Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bitten By The EBMM EVH Bug Again

User Info Menu

Bitten By The EBMM EVH Bug Again

So back in 2005 I did something I never thought I would do. I sold my Purple '91 EBMM EVH. The offer was too good to give up. I had sellers remorse for a long time. Fast forward to 2018, I had a strong urge to purchase another EBMM EVH. As of last week after searching high and low I have two sitting in my studio that spoke to me. Both are 1995 and have gorgeous quilted tops. One is Natural the other Trans Gold. The problem is, I can only keep one.

I like both, but they are two different animals. One has a neck that is slightly thicker, one sounds slightly warmer. One sounds slightly more articulate. I will play one for a while and think, yes, this is the one. Then I will pick up the other and think, no, this is the one. I went as far as having my wife blind fold me. I was constantly able to identify the Trans Gold from the Natural one. They are that distinct, one from the other.

Here are some of the specs:

Trans Gold
    Bridge Pickup = 17.46 Ohm
    Neck Pickup = 14.56 Ohm
    Volume Pot = 620 Ohm

Natural
    Bridge Pickup = 17.00 Ohm
    Neck Pickup = 15.11 Ohm
    Volume Pot = 411 Ohm

I was surprised at the variance in the pots. especially since one was +120 Ohm and the other was -89Ohm. I am typically used to a +/- 10% variance. I am sure age has something to do with it.

Here is my question, could the perceived difference in warmth/articulation be due to the pot variance? I realize that guitars have slight differences, but before making a final decision, I would like to get the guitars as close as possible. In other words, same strings, same reading on pots, etc. Before going down a rabbit hole, I thought I would ask you guys before switching out the pots with ones that read exactly 500 Ohm.

Also,
    Could you post your pickup and pot measurements? I'd like to get an idea of what the EVH's look like in that regard. If there is a thread with this info already in it, please point me to it. Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alrod View Post
    Here is my question, could the perceived difference in warmth/articulation be due to the pot variance.
    I think pot variance could be a part of it. Some basic circuit simulations (I use CircuitLab) suggest to me that it will be ~2 dB difference at the resonant frequency, which is about the limit of differences what I can hear under ideal conditions, i.e. difficult to hear. So it may not be the entire difference between the two guitars. Are the strings the same distance from the pickups on both guitars? Are the strings the same brand and have same amount of playing time? Is there an audible difference between the guitars unplugged? If you put matching 500kΩ pots in the guitars, change the strings and match the setups every way you can, will they sound identical? Maybe, but maybe not. And if they did sound identical, will each guitar lose some of their "magic"? Maybe, only your ears can tell.

I have good news - you already like them both. Which ever one you choose one, you'll be happy with it. But your relationship to each guitar is already set by what you already know of them, i.e. their current condition and tone. Don't mess with 'em, just choose one.

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    have good news - you already like them both. Which ever one you choose one, you'll be happy with it. But your relationship to each guitar is already set by what you already know of them, i.e. their current condition and tone. Don't mess with 'em, just choose one.
    Thanks,
    Easier said than done my friend :-) Both are amazing in all aspects. They both feel good, sound good, are in excellent condition. The quilted tops are outstanding.

To answer your question, other than the pots, all of the other components and measurements are the same (new strings same brand/gauge, same string height), in fact, both guitars weigh 7.2lbs. As far as how they sound unplugged, the warmth/articulation are noticeable. So perhaps the character of each guitar is inherent.

I guess I just need to play them more and make a final decision. You are right, if I change the pots, they may sound closer to each other, but they may lose some of their characteristics that I like. THen again, I have extra pots laying around. I can take the time to experiment.

As far as the pickups go, what are the factory specs in terms of ohms?

User Info Menu

The only correct answer is to find a way to keep both.
    Otherwise, you will continue to live with the remorse of the one you let go.... again...
    *not trying to be funny.... I'm serious.....
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop View Post
    The only correct answer is to find a way to keep both.
    Otherwise, you will continue to live with the remorse of the one you let go.... again...
    *not trying to be funny.... I'm serious.....
    Yah I was thinking the same thing. It sounds like it'll be tough to swing from what you've posted, but if you can do it I'd give it a try.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

Or sell them both and buy ten Axis! Just kidding... Good luck with the decision.

User Info Menu

As far as the pickups go, what are the factory specs in terms of ohms?
    17kΩ and 15kΩ is the data I have to hand for the Axis (they are the same pickups). What you measured within a few percent.

User Info Menu

Hey, where are the pics of these fine instruments?
    EVH - Blue Quilt
    1995 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2009 - 25th Anniversary
    2011 - Luke II - True Gold BFR
    2012 - Axis Tribute - Trans Pink
    2014 - Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow (Reflex mod) - Black Cherry Burst
    2016 - Cutlass - Vintage Sunburst
    2017 - St. Vincent - Stealth Black

Take a break from playin' guitar and read a webcomic: nemu*nemu!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kimonostereo View Post
    Hey, where are the pics of these fine instruments?
    Not the best photo (phone camera). The Trans Gold has more light focused on it, but the Natural is just as 3D and gorgeous. I will try to get a better photo of it.

Bitten By The EBMM EVH Bug Again-nat_gold_evh-jpg

User Info Menu

Not the best photo (phone camera). The Trans Gold has more light focused on it, but the Natural is just as 3D and gorgeous. I will try to get a better photo of it.

Bitten By The EBMM EVH Bug Again-nat_gold_evh-jpg
    Nice man, which do you seem to leaning toward. Really like the Natural, looks just great.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    Nice man, which do you seem to leaning toward. Really like the Natural, looks just great.

Glenn |B)
    Thanks. I was definitely leaning towards one more than the other, but now it's back and forth.

So that there is no bias, I will keep which one I preferred initially to myself for now (based solely on the sound and playability). I would be interested in seeing which one you guys prefer based on looks alone.

It's tough capturing the natural. Here is an outside shot which still doesn't do it justice. I would say that the left side from the bridge up is what the entire guitar looks like in person.

Bitten By The EBMM EVH Bug Again-nat-jpg

User Info Menu

Personally, on looks alone, the gold would be more my cup of tea. I'm just not often into natural finishes. But playing them could change my mind.

User Info Menu

Personally, I always go with the more articulate guitar. I can always make that a bit warmer or whatever I want to do to it BECAUSE it is articulate. In my small brain, it's just tonally easier to work with. Both of those are beauties. Whichever one you go with, I'm sure there will be a certain amount of sonic bliss!

User Info Menu

This whole experience grows more and more bizarre with each passing day. I have been playing both guitars unplugged. The one guitar that I labeled as "Articulate", is becoming sterile sounding to my ears. The "warm" ones body resonates against my body more than the other one. If they were acoustic guitars, I'd say one is like a Martin (warm), and the other is like a Taylor (bright). When playing along to backing tracks, they both cut through with no problems.

My next test is to record them. Since I do mostly studio work anyway, I think it may be the deciding factor... I say that today anyway :-)

User Info Menu

This thread is becoming more and more interesting. I don't ever remember anyone going to such depth to decide between 2 different guitars.

Thanx, Glenn |B)