EBMM Stingray bass green

Thread: is there a difference between the trem systems on musicman models ?

User Info Menu

is there a difference between the trem systems on musicman models ?

i LOVE the tremolo on the JP6 and want to get another musicman model with a trem, i was thinking about the AL or maybe a silo, but it seems the tremolo system is different by a bit.

has anyone had experinece with some of the trem models and can comment about the differences and similarties ?

User Info Menu

I don't have a JP6 to make that specific comparison but between the vintage trem on the Silhouette Special and the new modern trem on the Cutlass (which is imilar to the Majesty)...

The saddles on the newer trem have a grooved top for the strings rather than the older style which have a gentle V-shape. The intonation adjustment on the newer bridge is 2 mm hex key rather than screw driver. Newer trem has ablack anodized block of somethign or other, the vintage trem is brass. I have not measured but I think the blocks are similar dimensions though the cavities are different sizes; smaller on the Silhouette Special. With extreme trem use the Cutlass will not hit the cavity walls, the Silhouette's trem will. Also note the mounting posts positions - the newer trem avoids any possibility of the saddles hitting the posts. The bridge plate is clearly larger too. The trem arms are slightly different in length and height but it use sit in about the same place under your hand.

In use the two bridges feel very similar and both perform beautifully. I have them set up identically with identical strings and in a blindfold test I'm not sure I could tell them apart, and if I did, it may be just down to differences in the springs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails is there a difference between the trem systems on musicman models ?-modern4-jpg   is there a difference between the trem systems on musicman models ?-modern3-jpg   is there a difference between the trem systems on musicman models ?-modern2-jpg   is there a difference between the trem systems on musicman models ?-modern1-jpg  
    Last edited by DrKev; 10-05-2018 at 01:52 PM.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Silhouette Special Vintage Trem
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails is there a difference between the trem systems on musicman models ?-vintage4-jpg   is there a difference between the trem systems on musicman models ?-vintage1-jpg   is there a difference between the trem systems on musicman models ?-vintage3-jpg   is there a difference between the trem systems on musicman models ?-vintage2-jpg  
    Last edited by DrKev; 10-05-2018 at 01:53 PM.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

All of the trems that Music Man makes are good. The JP trem is probably a bit more robustly built, and it's also designed to be able to have a piezo. It has a cover on it, which the "vintage" tremolos don't have, and it is also recessed and floating, while most EBMM trems are non-recessed and shipped with the tremolo decked.

However, pretty much all of them can be set to float with about a half/whole step up up bend on the G. They are all quality Two point trems with hardened steel base plates. Quality.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

The vintage trems are excellent and can easily be set to float or be flush with the body, allowing only the lowering of pitch. I prefer for them to float like Mr. Lukather and they hold tuning incredibly well. The JP trems are different as described in a previous post, and they are actually even more stable. Both work better with some lubricant to help return to correct tuning pitch, at least in my experience. The JP trems are the most stable I’ve ever played besides a well set up Floyd Rose. MM really did a damn good job on their trem systems.

User Info Menu

I have this trem. Is the arm tension adjustable?
    Less is NOT more. Less is LESS. MORE is more. I checked.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    All of the trems that Music Man makes are good. The JP trem is probably a bit more robustly built, and it's also designed to be able to have a piezo. It has a cover on it, which the "vintage" tremolos don't have, and it is also recessed and floating, while most EBMM trems are non-recessed and shipped with the tremolo decked.

However, pretty much all of them can be set to float with about a half/whole step up up bend on the G. They are all quality Two point trems with hardened steel base plates. Quality.
    The vintage style trems (ASS, Silo, AL) can also have piezo saddles.

User Info Menu

I used to swear by the Floyd Rose but I actually prefer the Music Man tremolo now. You can be more delicate with it; you don’t have to man handle it like a Floyd.

2018 Axis - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord - Tahitian Blue
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Anniversary - Buttercream
    2013 Albert Lee - BFR - Pinkburst
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle with an all rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2012 Axis - PDN - Honeyburst
    2011 Axis - BFR - Black Sugar Roasted
    2009 Axis - Pink Quilt (Oinky)
    2006 StingRay - 30th Anniversary fretless
    1996 StingRay - 20th Anniversary