Ernie Ball Cables
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to find a "does it all" guitar?

User Info Menu

JP7. That extra string opens up so many possibilities for metal and jazz chords. The center position split is a super neat jangly strat sound which i love to do dirty blues leads with. I installed a split pot on mine so i can get a bunch of different usable tones from one guitar. I don't like the Crunchlab or Liquifire, so i think im gonna change them to something closer to a PAF soon, i prefer lower output pickups and high gain for my metal tones. The ergonomics alone make it an all night guitar which is a plus. My Custom 24 used to be my swiss army knife, but now it has been usurped.

User Info Menu

WahoonC is spot on.

Don't try to make the GC too complicated. I don't use 200 different pickup selections...but I do use more than 5! And that's what the GC lets you do. It lets you try something at the gig and if you don't like it, you don't have to sell the guitar, you just try a different pickup selection. Over the years I've settled to approx 9 selections that I frequently use. Didn't happen overnight, it was a long time settling on my faves, but I didn't have to solder anything or buy a new axe to get where I am with it.

And let's face it, with todays technology and the acoustic IR's available, piezos are more useful than ever and yet weirdly becoming LESS common.

Every time I gig I get questions about how I get an acoustic sound out of my gamechanger. (piezo -> L6 Helix ->taylor IR->PA).

Plus I don't have to schlep my taylor to the gigs anymore! One less guitar to tune/risk/scratch/carry! Yay!
    "Do you want me to start this song too slow or too fast?"

Armada, Gamechanger reflex, Y2D, JP6, Steve Morse, 25th Anniversary Reflex
    4 Stratocasters, RG3120, Variax, Yamaha S90XS, Hammond XK-3c

User Info Menu

Sorry for the hijack, but you Game Changer guys are really starting to hack me off......I think I want one
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.

User Info Menu

The game changer is kind of like the Boogie Tri-axis of guitars. They can be really intimidating, but in the end it's more about being able to expand what the guitar is capable of, right on the guitar. I think you get 15 presets with just using the controls on the guitar? And if you've got the piezo that can be mixed in at will.

Compare that to a regular guitar, where you get 5 standard presets, or one like the Steve Morse, which has 11 pickup settings, but you've gotta work a two way toggle, a three way selector ,and a three way toggle to get those.

With the game changer, you've got them ready to go, just flip flip flip.

This also means that you can set up the guitar to have a non standard bunch of settings, kinda like how the St Vincent guitar has a 5 way switch with three pickups, but does not use the standard pickups you would usually select.

In other words, it give you unlimited choices, just like some of the high end modeling/profiling preamps. If you like that level of control, it may be worth looking at.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

I would love the GC electronics. I've lost count of how many times I've re-wired my main guitars (Morse especially).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vuduhwy View Post
    Sorry for the hijack, but you Game Changer guys are really starting to hack me off......I think I want one
    DO IT! you know you want to. Seriously, if you don't like it someone will buy it!

I'm predicting that the value of these and the reflex's are going to go up over the years. They didn't make a zillion of them, so they're somewhat unique, and they're clearly quality guitars.
    "Do you want me to start this song too slow or too fast?"

Armada, Gamechanger reflex, Y2D, JP6, Steve Morse, 25th Anniversary Reflex
    4 Stratocasters, RG3120, Variax, Yamaha S90XS, Hammond XK-3c

User Info Menu

I have to say, a Luke 3 HH covers a lot ground!!!
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

As Mike said, the Luke III HH is way more versatile that it might appear and has been touted (by me &#128521 as the best guitar made. I grab for it every single time. I have the HSS and 6 other Music Man models, as well as, a bevy of other manufacturers instruments but the Luke III HH is special. I will throw a plug in for the Reflex, too. It is a super instrument, as well. I, regrettably, sold mine in a moment of temporary insanity... but it at least went to another forumite who appears to love it well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    I would love the GC electronics. I've lost count of how many times I've re-wired my main guitars (Morse especially).
    I've just recently been surrounded by family members and had my soldering iron taken away from me for "my own good."
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.

User Info Menu

Hahahahaha!