Ernie Ball CRNR Slash
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to find a "does it all" guitar?

Question Where to find a "does it all" guitar?

Hi Everyone. I'm looking for a solid body electric guitar with humbucker and multiple single coil sounds along with piezo, but it looks like the current line has limited single coil options (just one in the JP ones). I came across the Ernie Ball Music Man Reflex Game Changer w/Piezo which looks amazing, but it seems to be very rare. Any tips about older models I might actually be able to find used? Thanks!

Hi marmakat - welcome! If you can find a Regular Reflex (non-game changer) that will most certainly fit the bill based on your description. With the five-way selector and series/parallel switch you can get virtually any tone you'd want. The only thing it doesn't have is piezo. Check Reverb as I believe they have a black Reflex for sale there currently. If you're really lucky you can find yourself a 25th Anniversary model which is the predecessor to the Reflex but with a beautiful Venician Reburst Finish in quilt or flame (see my avatar for an example). Those are more rare than the standard Reflex though as they were only offered for a very limited time. Hope this helps.

EDIT - here you go. Reverb has both a standard Reflex in White AND a Game Changer with Piezo for sale. Just head over to the site and search on Ernie Ball Musicman Reflex.
    Last edited by edhalen; 10-23-2018 at 08:46 AM.
    EBMM 25th Anniversary G47729 DOB 8/5/2009
    EBMM Stingray G73157 DOB 1/7/2016
    SBMM SUB AX4 Duncan JB/Jazz pups SD pots GOTOH GE1996T Trem
    EBMM - a guitar like no other.
    Even we mancave noodlers can appreciate the perfection that is an EBMM guitar.
    "one likes to believe in the freedom of music..."

It also might be worth a look for a Silhouette Special. It comes in an HSS config, and is available with a piezo as an option.
    SBMM Cutlass Seafoam Green
    SBMM Albert Lee - Daphne Blue
    EBMM Silo Special
    EBMM EVH - Trans Blue

The Morse (especially the Standard one) will do a lot.
    But it is not a Les Paul nor a Strat and not by any means both.
    It will give you great Humbucking and very useful Singlecoil sounds, as will the reflex.
    But it will not replace a Les Paul or a Strat or a Tele or whatever...
    blueburst Steve Morse Standard, Jan 03, 2005 pix
    pinkburst Albert Lee, Jul 13, 1994 pix
    cinnamon SUB1, Mar 08, 2004 pix
    vintage gold reflex, June 22, 2011 pix

My Bands: The BlueScream, Shelter50

The reflex and game changer guitars were discontinued a few years ago and used is all you’ll find.

Similarly piezo option was discontinued on guitars except the JP line. Again, used is the only option.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

Where to find a "does it all" guitar?

I have an HSH Game Changer with piezo and trem that I would part with if that is what you are looking for. PM me if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by banjoplayer View Post
    The Morse (especially the Standard one) will do a lot.
    But it is not a Les Paul nor a Strat and not by any means both.
    It will give you great Humbucking and very useful Singlecoil sounds, as will the reflex.
    But it will not replace a Les Paul or a Strat or a Tele or whatever...
    +1 on this. It won't do "everything" sonically, but it will do many things very well.
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.

Axis super sport springs to mind.

Personal opinion: A JP model, install split-coil for every position (not just the middle position, which is the factory setup) and you pretty much have it. Super player-friendly instruments, not to mention the JP6-JP7/JPXVI that offer the arm-scoop as well.

You can always change pickups to find exactly what you are looking for. You should examine however whether you like the neck or not. It's a slim/very slim neck on all iterations of the guitar. Slightly thicker on the Majesty.

JPXI Cardinal Red
    JP12 Cherry Sugar
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso
    MONARCHY MAJESTY Royal Red
    MONARCHY MAJESTY 7 Black Knight
    NOMAC MAJESTY #11 Timeworn Silver

James valentine says it’s the valentine
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlas SSS - Ivory White
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

A Valentine or an HSS Cutlass would be a good choice.

As a long time reflex gamechanger player I can only say that if you're looking for a guitar that does almost everything...well, that is the one. I don't think I've played a gig without in in about 4 or 5 years.

I've frequently thought about buying a second one.

They're not hard to find. Don't let anyone talk you out of it. Definitely get one with a piezo.

It's absolutely dumbfounding to me that this guitar hasn't caught on.

Some guys get all up tight about the color. Don't. The black looks great on stage and under lights. Did someone tell Peter Frampton that black les pauls look boring? The player makes the axe, not the other way around. Get one that you can make yours.

I've also owned several steve morse style guitars and while they'r every versatile, they're certainly not everyone's cup of tea.
    Last edited by BUC; 10-27-2018 at 12:46 AM.
    "Do you want me to start this song too slow or too fast?"

Armada, Gamechanger reflex, Y2D, JP6, Steve Morse, 25th Anniversary Reflex
    4 Stratocasters, RG3120, Variax, Yamaha S90XS, Hammond XK-3c

Quote Originally Posted by edhalen View Post
    Hi marmakat - welcome! If you can find a Regular Reflex (non-game changer) that will most certainly fit the bill based on your description. With the five-way selector and series/parallel switch you can get virtually any tone you'd want. The only thing it doesn't have is piezo. Check Reverb as I believe they have a black Reflex for sale there currently. If you're really lucky you can find yourself a 25th Anniversary model which is the predecessor to the Reflex but with a beautiful Venician Reburst Finish in quilt or flame (see my avatar for an example). Those are more rare than the standard Reflex though as they were only offered for a very limited time. Hope this helps .
    Hey folks, just joined forum today and this is 1st post. I picked up a used Reflex this past weekend and found religion with this guitar. It's very playing and sounds wonderful. For background, i wanted a bit of a cross between my LP and Strat and this guitar really fit the need.

I think the big problem with the Game Changer is simply that it's WAY more guitar than most people want, and the options can honestly be VERY daunting. The choices are endless, but for total tone nuts, that can mean spending untold hours searching for the perfect sounds. Often better just to get a simpler guitar and limit ourselves.

They are incredible pieces of tech. They really can do just about anything.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

You don't have to be a tweaker and I think perception is what scared a lot of folks off the GC. The possibilities are vast and can surely be overwhelming if your intention is to hear every possible sound. However, you don't have to do that at all. I set up Bank A to humbucker tones I like, set Bank B to single tones I like, didn't do anything with Bank Z (although you have a whole other set of slots there to cover a tone of ground), and really haven't messed with the settings since. The really cool thing about it is how much more mileage you can get out of your amp without changing guitars--especially responsive amps that roll from very clean to dirty to raunchy with the volume knob. In my opinion, anyway.

It's guitars. To each his own. I know a lot of people grumbled about only having black, but I think it's one of the classiest looking guitars out there. Not flashy, but when you pick it up and hold it you know you're holding something special, and the binding, it's just a very nicely crafted guitar. And one of if not the best piezo I've heard. They're worth the money and then some--especially now that you can only buy previously owned.
    I believe every guitar player inherently has something unique about their playing. They just have to identify what makes them different and develop it. EVH

'14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP - Black Cherry Burst
    '14 ASS Semi MM90 - Honey Burst
    '16 Axis - Trans Gold Quilt

Fractal AX-8
    Bad Cat 2x12