Everlast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JP15 case latch spring?

User Info Menu

JP15 case latch spring?

Hey ballers! Hope all of you doing great. Been a while since I posted here. Life's taken a big turn and we've moved to Australia! Big hello to all aussies here mates

I've got a question which I can't find the answer for online. I've had a JP15 since almost two years and barely gigged with and taken good care of. Within a span of few days somehow both the latches on the case stopped 'springing' upwards for the lack of a better word. Earlier they use to spring up automatically when I pushed the adjacent button side ways. I never heard any cracking sounds or no damage has happened to the case.

I was wondering if there is any way to fix them? Do they have some sort of a spring inside which I can replace. Currently they are fully functional and I can lock the case. But it does not 'pop' open which you'd ideally do with one hand at each latch.

Any help would be great! I'm attaching pictures of one of them. In one of the pictures you can see my finger holding it where it used to pop by itself. The other pic is how it is now.

Cheers guys!
    gT

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
    Check out my YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/GurtejSinghGuitar

User Info Menu

Seems to me like whatever mechanism once released via the button was forcing the latch to spring upwards is now not working...

Out of curiosity, did your JP15 came with this specific case?

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237

User Info Menu

My first thought was: "Is that the original case?" I've never tried to replace a case latch so not sure what that would involve. Probably a vid on YT on how to replace it.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys for the responses. Yes, my JP15 came with this lovely case. Is it being shipped in a different case now?

I'll try to find some videos but not sure if I'll be lucky enough.

User Info Menu

It comes in the traditional form-fit hard-case. These cases were used, as far as JP models are concerned, for the earlier BFR models (JPX, JPXI, JP12). I believe that JP13 onwards these cases were replaced with the traditional ones (for all models). Were you to order a JP12 for example nowadays it would come with the form-fit hard-case.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboogie View Post
    It comes in the traditional form-fit hard-case. These cases were used, as far as JP models are concerned, for the earlier BFR models (JPX, JPXI, JP12). I believe that JP13 onwards these cases were replaced with the traditional ones (for all models). Were you to order a JP12 for example nowadays it would come with the form-fit hard-case.
    Thanks! That does sound interesting. Wonder how I got this case I can't complain though, I love the finish both inside and outside. I had a jp6 as well and I think I know which case you are taking about.

And this one has the golden BFR oval logo inside too!

Another pic for reference: Gurtej Singh on Instagram: “True love #JP15 #ernieballmusicman”

User Info Menu

Yeah, I know. I have two of these (JPXI, JP12 7-string) but personally I'd prefer I had the form-fit ones =D

More of a high-tech guy than a classical one. But those BFR cases are undisputedly beautiful and classy ones.

Your JP15 looks awesome, that flame top is fantastic!!

I

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225

User Info Menu

Yeah, beautiful guitar

User Info Menu

Skb > g&g.
    JP6 Mystic Dream
    JP6 DD2
    JP6 BFR Walnut
    JP6 White Sparkle
    JP6 BFR Cherry Burst
    JP6 BFR Black Sparkle Custom Color
    JPX6
    JP6 Olive Gold
    JP6 Blue Dawn
    JP13 Cardinal Red Sparkle
    JP6 Stealth White
    JP6 Gold Sparkle
    JP6 Starry Night
    JP6 Autumn Red
    Luke III Buttercream

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! I absolutely love the guitar and the case. It's a beauty and it plays like a dream!

Coming back to the original question, should I take it to a guitar tech or a shop perhaps? Don't know how to fix the problem at hand.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

So I just did a quick Google search and sounds like the spring latches are going or gone. You can do the replacement, but it involves drilling out the rivets and completely replacing the latches. If your attached to the case and don't wanna give this a try, I'd recommend a good luthier in your area. It might not be as expensive as replacing the case.

Good luck, hope this helps some, Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

You can order new parts from G&G. Parts – G&G Quality Case

If you can operate a drill, its easy to drill out the rivets and then replace the latch.

FWIW, my JP13's came in a G&G hardshell case, not an SKB plastic case.

User Info Menu

Thanks @Jeff and @Glenn. I never knew that you could buy parts so specific. That's a great site and will have to check shipping and all. I am still not sure if I can install it myself as I might end up damaging the case. Will have to find a good luthier here probably.

Cheers again and thanks for all the help!

User Info Menu

I've had other G&G cases develop this problem. Lubricating the hinge helps. Also sometimes they just get stuck in the slot for some reason. I really wish all my cases were SKB or TKL, but sadly G&G has a lot of customers too.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gurtejsingh View Post
    Thanks @Jeff and @Glenn. I never knew that you could buy parts so specific. That's a great site and will have to check shipping and all.
    G&G is the company that made the case. The part will fit perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by gurtejsingh View Post
    I am still not sure if I can install it myself as I might end up damaging the case. Will have to find a good luthier here probably.
    Really not sure what you need a luthier for. Luthiers build, repair, and setup guitars. That has nothing to do with replacing broken hardware on a guitar case. Don't get me wrong, any luthier is handy enough to do it. But you could just as easily have a handy friend do it and save some $ and time searching for a luthier to do it.