Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: Majesty push/push pot issue

User Info Menu

Majesty push/push pot issue

Hello!

Today I just took delivery of a new to me Majesty guitar. Beautiful instrument, and the neck feels killer. However, I am having a couple issues with the push/push pots. When I first engaged the boost on the volume pot, it crackled quite a bit, but I believe that is just a dirty pot. Turning it on and off a couple times seemed to help. However, when I engaged the coil split on the tone pot, I ran into some issues. When I pushed it back down, it did not stay down. The coil split is still engaged, and the knob is still in the up position. It has quite a bit of ground noise when I touch it. Not sure if that is because it is in single coil mode. I thought perhaps the knob was too far down on the shaft, but when I went to take it off, the rubber grommet ended up tearing as well. I took the knob off, but still did not fix it. So now, the guitar is frustratingly stuck in single coil mode. I have reached out to Customer Service with the issue, but thought I would try and get advice here for now. The guitar was bought new in 2017, and was in pristine condition. Now though, it needs a new knob, and I'm not sure where to start on the pot.

Any guidance would be appreciated! Thank you!

Micah
    Musicman 25th Anniversary HSS Maple Board - Quilt Venetian Fireburst - Matching Headstock
    Stingray 5 20th Anniversary HS Rosewood Board - Quilt California Sunset - Matching Headstock
    Bongo 6 HH Rosewood Board - Tangerine Pearl
    Majesty - Iced Crimson

User Info Menu

Depending on when you bought it, it might still be under warranty. If not, replacing a pot is an easy fix and you can get it from MM.

I'd drop the customer service guys a note and ask their advice. (Link in my signature.)

User Info Menu

You could try removing the knob, and screwing it back on in order to fix the issue. I believe I have encountered the same thing myself.

In case you do not know already, you have to remove the rubber band form the knob in order to access the allen-type screw. I use a pick in order to remove it. Work your way slowly in order not to tear the rubber band.

JPXI Cardinal Red
    JP12 Cherry Sugar
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso
    MONARCHY MAJESTY Royal Red
    MONARCHY MAJESTY 7 Black Knight
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver

User Info Menu

Thank you both. The first thing I tried was removing the knob, and wouldn't you know it, the rubber grommet broke on me when I went to move it. So no matter what, I'm already out buying a new knob. lol I actually removed all 3 knobs on my old JP6 when I had it with no problem, but this one just tore in half.

I did send an email to customer service right before posting on here, but I have not heard back yet. I had heard that with the push/push pot you can't just replace the pot, but have to replace the whole circuit board. Is this the case does anyone know?

I have included a link to a quick video I sent the seller to show them the problem:

Majesty tone pot issue - YouTube

Unfortunately, the guitar was bought by them new last year sometime, but I bought on the used market. Got a nice deal on it, although, not so nice if it doesn't work. Hoping it is a fairly easy fix.
    Musicman 25th Anniversary HSS Maple Board - Quilt Venetian Fireburst - Matching Headstock
    Stingray 5 20th Anniversary HS Rosewood Board - Quilt California Sunset - Matching Headstock
    Majesty - Iced Crimson

User Info Menu

If you remove the knob, does the pot work properly?

JPXI Cardinal Red
    JP12 Cherry Sugar
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboogie View Post
    If you remove the knob, does the pot work properly?
    No, unfortunately it doesn't. That was my initial thought, but it didn't help. Only led to me accidentally tearing the grommet when I removed the knob.
    Majesty - Iced Crimson

User Info Menu

It's still stuck in the upper position, and won't return to the lower one? Having removed the knob I mean.

JPXI Cardinal Red
    JP12 Cherry Sugar
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboogie View Post
    It's still stuck in the upper position, and won't return to the lower one? Having removed the knob I mean.
    Yep, that's correct. I thought maybe the knob was too low on the shaft, preventing it from going back to the down / humbucker position. But that wasn't the case. Even with the knob off, it will not go back to the down position.
    Majesty - Iced Crimson

User Info Menu

Knob being too low on the shaft was my thought indeed, have you tried revolving the upper side of the pot in case it's just stuck? I'm not positive, but I think I faced this issue once myself and it simply unstuck while lightly tampering with it in a clockwise motion.

JPXI Cardinal Red
    JP12 Cherry Sugar
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso

User Info Menu

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried that as well, and no luck. EBMM Customer Service finally emailed me back yesterday indicating that it sounded like a fault in the push/push tone pot, and said that part, along with a new knob or grommet can be purchased through them. They asked for my location and serial number, and while I replied within minutes, I am waiting to hear back. Hopefully the part is not too expensive, and that they can provide schematics or a diagram to assist in replacing it. More waiting, but hopefully I can get it taken care of soon.
    Majesty - Iced Crimson

User Info Menu

That's good =) Once you get your hands on the replacement part you should have no problem fixing it within a little while.

JPXI Cardinal Red
    JP12 Cherry Sugar
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso