EBMM Stingray bass blue

Thread: John Petrucci JP6 string breaking problem

User Info Menu

Question John Petrucci JP6 string breaking problem

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a 2015 JP6, brand new from a shop. After about 1.5 months of owning this JP6 guitar, I've gone through 5 sets of strings (EB Slinky's, EB RPS, EB Paradigm, D'Addario EXL's, D'Addario NYXL's). What happens is that the strings break at the saddle, and it's not just the high E string -- although it's the high E that breaks first. I use 9-46 sets, but decided to use a 10-46 set which is what the factory puts on these guitars, but still managed to break the strings after a few days with moderate playing, and whammy bar usage. It's now gotten to a point that I'm scared to do a full step bend or use the whammy bar at all.

The guitar is perfectly set up, and I have checked everything including but not limited to the saddles for sharp edges that could weaken the strings. All seem fine to me. The tuning stability is also top notch, even with whammy bar usage.

I don't believe this is a normal thing with any guitar to consistently break strings so much. Previously, with my other guitars I used to change strings every 3-5 months and the last time I broke a string was 6 years ago on an old cheap guitar I owned. I'm a girl, so that means I'm not as aggressive as a guy playing the guitar, but I do like to bend two whole steps, and do dive bombs sometimes.

Do you have any suggestions? Is the guitar bridge defective? Should I send the guitar to the factory for inspection? (it's got a 1.5 year warranty)

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

User Info Menu

Take a close look at exactly where the string is breaking (use the broken string end to help identify the point precisely). There is an indentation or burr or sharp edge that is cutting the string. It might be fixable with a needle file and sandpaper or perhaps the piece can be simply replaced if you are still under warranty (in which case talk to the store you bought from).
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Question

It breaks approximately at the piezo saddle, where the string touches the first point closest to the piezo piece. Here's a photo for your reference. I don't think the piezo can really be filed. Also, since this is happening for all the strings, I think this is more of a general problem rather than a local one.

John Petrucci JP6 string breaking problem-20181111_220611-2-jpg

User Info Menu

Out of curiosity, when do the strings break? When you bend (3 higher strings obviously)? What about the three lower strings (E, A, D)?

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237
    MAJESTY Tiger Eye (on its way)

User Info Menu

They have broken 4 out of 5 times when I bend, and once when I used the whammy bar. I've broken all strings but the low E and the G strings.

User Info Menu

Sounds weird indeed. It could be a bridge issue obviously, but you could try using Elixir strings as an experiment. By far the most enduring strings out there. Not to mention virtually ever-lasting due to their special coating.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225

User Info Menu

This is definitely unusual. I would contact MM customer service and get their advice. The guitar is under warranty- let them help you out.

User Info Menu

Update: I have contacted EBMM customer service and they have generously offered to replace the bridge on my Guitar. Couldn't be happier. Speak of some beyond Apple level customer experience here!

User Info Menu

Niiice, great move on behalf of them. Not certain about this, but you could request a matte black bridge/vibrato arm given that the JP6 comes loaded with these nowadays.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225