EBMM Stingray bass green
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Truss Rod replacement for 2004 JP6

User Info Menu

Hi everyone,

I got in touch with Customer Service and they confirmed that they do not fix broken truss rods, but I can send back the old neck and get a new one.

I got in touch with another luthier as well and he confirmed that he should be able to fix the truss rod problem, of course now the issue is I do not know where to get a new truss rod for him to install. I am thinking stewmac.com might sell one, but anyone here knows the exact specs of the truss rod for the JP6, and where I can get one as well?

Thanks again

User Info Menu

I don't recall hearing of anyone replacing one before. I suppose he would be able to see what's in there when he gets the fretboard off.

Is it much less to have the work done and replace the rod, than to get a new neck? I'd think you would be in a similar ballpark. Plus then you have a factory original neck (with a warranty).

User Info Menu

I would find out how much the new neck would cost. Truss rod repair like this is NOT easy or inexpensive. If it was just stripped threads, they can do something, but for this they will need to steam the neck until they can get the fretboard off of it. This often can damage or destroy the fretboard in the process.

Then, the tech would need to uncover the entire truss rod channel, and the old truss rod would need to come out, complete with the anchor. Then a new one is installed, and then the top of the truss rod channel needs to be replaced.

After that, the fretboard, if it survived, needs to get glued back on after being prepped. Then it will often need a level and crown due to changes in the wood. Also then some refinish work may be needed.

So yeah... not sure that's a road you want to go down.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Thanks as usual for your advice guys!

To be honest due to where I am (Singapore) it should cost roughly the same based on what the local dealer and luthier quoted me. My preference would be to repair the neck to make it playable as this guitar has lots of sentimental value to me and I want to keep it in one piece as much as possible.

If the neck cannot be repaired then I will probably keep the guitar as it is for memory's and buy a new EBMM. I like the JP15 Sahara Bursts quite a bit too!

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

Thanks again for all your advice, I am glad to say the works are complete!

I managed to get the entire fretboard removed, truss rod fixed and neck put together again by the awesome guys at NNG Guitars (nngguitars.com), a trusted luthier in Thailand. Their prices were super reasonable!

The refinish job was then done by Steven Lee at Sinamex Guitar Hospital in my native Singapore.

I have attached a gallery of pictures, from the cracked finish, to the broken truss rod, and pictures of the repairs for anyone who is interested. Please let me know if you need any information at all regarding these repairs.

Fixing the cracked finish and broken truss rod of an EBMM JP6. Many thanks to the EBMM forums, NNG Guitar (Thailand) for the neck works and Steven Lee (Singapore) for the refinish! - Album on Imgur

Thanks again everyone, my JP6 is as good as new and I am super thankful to everyone who helped along the way!
    Last edited by BurntRice; 03-20-2019 at 03:00 AM.

User Info Menu

I love stories with a happy ending!
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Wow that looks great, glad it all worked out.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

wow! that's awesome! That finish though, I've never seen that happen to a guitar. It's like the finish shrank and pulled off the guitar. Very strange.

The truss rod looks like it had some type of inclusion in the steel structure, and it let go there.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Great repair! Fantastic job!

Enjoy your brand new guitar
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

User Info Menu

That really looks great after all the work! I'm sure you're happy to have it back in playing condition.
    ---------------
    2018 Valentine in Three-tone Burst
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    2016 Valentine in Trans Maroon
    2014 Axis SS Semi-Hollow MM90 with Piezo
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

Glad it all worked out for you. That is quite a complicated thing to pull the fretboard and install a new truss rod. I've seen it being done before at a local repair shop here in Utah. Makes you appreciate the repair people that know how to do these types of thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    Wow that looks great, glad it all worked out.
    Yes it does! It plays great too! Only the player needs working out now =)

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    wow! that's awesome! That finish though, I've never seen that happen to a guitar. It's like the finish shrank and pulled off the guitar. Very strange.

The truss rod looks like it had some type of inclusion in the steel structure, and it let go there.
    Well it seems like it is a common EBMM issue here in Singapore, could be a climate thing maybe. My brother's StingRay showed the same signs of a cracked finishing, albeit no where as bad as mine, and I saw another JP with the beginning of the same issue as well. I was not able to get it refinished/repaired in time as I was young and the refinish cost too much for me back then.

Quote Originally Posted by threeminutesboy View Post
    Great repair! Fantastic job!

Enjoy your brand new guitar
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by jones4tone View Post
    That really looks great after all the work! I'm sure you're happy to have it back in playing condition.
    Super happy! Deciding whether to play it as much as I did previously due to all this hard work actually!

Quote Originally Posted by BrickGlass View Post
    Glad it all worked out for you. That is quite a complicated thing to pull the fretboard and install a new truss rod. I've seen it being done before at a local repair shop here in Utah. Makes you appreciate the repair people that know how to do these types of thing.
    Yes these folks aren't appreciated enough a lot of the time. When I visited NNG in Thailand and saw with my own eyes all the work that went into a guitar it made me appreciate all my guitars so much more!

User Info Menu

I'll agree that's some really nice work on all fronts. Glad for the happy ending!
    2016 Axis Super Sport Trans Gold w/ Maple Neck
    1997 Axis Sport HSS Red w/ Maple Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    I love stories with a happy ending!
    Quote Originally Posted by nervous View Post
    I'll agree that's some really nice work on all fronts. Glad for the happy ending!
    A very happy ending indeed!