Ultra Burly
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truss Rod replacement for 2004 JP6

User Info Menu

Unhappy Truss Rod replacement for 2004 JP6

Hi guys,

I recently sent my JP6 to a shop for setup. I was told that this is not possible as the truss rod seems to be broken. We sat together for a while and tried turning the wheel a few rounds and indeed the neck did not move at all.

I would love to get this repaired, any one with a similar problem in the past?

Thanks in advance!

User Info Menu

Was there any resistance as you turned the wheel? Did you try pressing/pulling the neck to encourage movement when you did it? Perhaps it's just stuck?

If it's toast, you'll have to get in touch with MM directly to talk about options. Link in my signature.

User Info Menu

How much resistance did you feel when you were turning the wheel? Did the tech try removing the wheel nut? It's possible that it got stripped out somehow.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Hi both,

Thanks for replying to my question! We almost did not feel any resistance when turning the nut in either direction.

Should we take apart the guitar to check the nut in this case?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Try another shop..
    Mick
    EVH transblack 1995 slightly faded
    Silhouette transteal 1994 (updated with a compensated nut!)

Mick´s Guitar Center
    Landshut/Germany
    www.facebook.com/MicksGuitarCenter
    "We offer extremly high quality & extremly low prices! - Pick one!"

User Info Menu

I'm not sure it's broken, but it could be loosened. It should do something eventually if you turn it clockwise. If not then something is likely up with it.
    JP6 Mystic Dream
    JP6 DD2
    JP6 BFR Walnut
    JP6 White Sparkle
    JP6 BFR Cherry Burst
    JPX6
    JP6 Olive Gold
    JP6 Blue Dawn
    JP13 Cardinal Red Sparkle
    JP6 Stealth White
    JP6 Gold Sparkle
    JP6 Starry Night
    JP6 Autumn Red
    Luke III Buttercream

User Info Menu

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your tips, let me check out if the truss rod might be loosened and get back to everyone here.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

I gave the nut quite a few turns in a clockwise direction however the neck has not really moved. One thing I did notice though is that the washer(?) between the nut and the neck seems to be very loose.

I will go ahead and contact MM support but please feel free to let me know of any other comments that you might have!

Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Ok, well that would explain why nothing is happening. The "wheel" IS the truss rod Nut. That wheel is what puts pressure on the end of the neck directly. If the washer is loose, then the nut is not putting any pressure on the neck, which is why nothing is happening.

I would recommend pulling the neck, and seeing if you can remove the nut entirely, and then check the threads on the nut and on the truss rod.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up

This happened to a brand new Peavey HP2 recently... I pulled the neck and just had to push the whole truss rod assembly/cartridge into its slot.... Just using my fingers. It literally took 2 seconds. It seems it just wasn't seated proplerly, by just a hair...

User Info Menu

Hi guys thanks for everything, this is really helpful!

When you say "pull the neck" I am assuming you mean remove the neck from the body?

Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Yes... Remove the neck... You don't necessarily even have to remove the strings... Just completely slacken them to remove the tension though!

User Info Menu

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for all the good advice you have given. I removed the neck and did a quick inspection of the truss nut etc, sadly it does look like the truss rod is broken. Unfortunately I was not able to upload a picture directly here but used imgur. Please let me know if you have any comments, or if you know of another way out of this!

Broken truss rod - Album on Imgur

I will take the advice from beej and get in touch with MM.

I would like to thank everyone who helped me out along the way, this forum is full of excellent, helpful people and I will be lurking around and hopefully contribute like you all have whenever possible.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by BurntRice; 11-21-2018 at 08:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Wow that really bites, never seen that before. Guess there's a first for everything huh.

Good luck with MM. Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

dang!!! Looks like there may have been some type of defect with the steel the truss rod is made out of.