Ernie Ball CRNR Mike Dirnt

Thread: Floating Tremolo on Cutlass with 11-49 gauge strings

User Info Menu

Floating Tremolo on Cutlass with 11-49 gauge strings

Hello all, I'm a new Cutlass owner and I set it up immediately to use 11-49 gauge strings and float the tremolo so the 3rd string bends up a minor third. I've worked on my own guitars a little bit and have built some nuts from bone blanks for other guitars, but I'm no expert. The guitar came set up with 9's with the bridge flush. I have nut files and was prepared to widen the slots if necessary to take heavier strings but it wasn't necessary with this guitar. I followed the procedure in the youtube video by Galeazzo Frudua for setting up a strat. The only thing I did different was I'm using 5 springs instead of 3. Every other step is covered in that video. I used a post it note pad to block the tremolo where it needed to be and tuned it back up with the claw. It took less than an hour and it plays great. I'm loving this guitar.

User Info Menu

Congratulations and welcome to the forum family!

There is an unofficial forum rule that we like to insist on - your guitar does not exist without pictures!
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.