Ernie Ball Tremolo Pedal
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutlass Sacrilege!

User Info Menu

Cutlass Sacrilege!

So, I am a long time EBMM fan; the longest I've owned a guitar is my EBMM EVH (which kicked off my EBMM love). Hoever, time passes and I no longer play much electric - I spend my time on steel-string and, increasingly, nylon. So I decided I just needed ONE electric to rule them all. IMHO the HSS Cutlass is it; a fabulously made, Swiss-army knife of a guitar. I bought a coral one last year only to have the RS series arrive shortly after: I had to have one of those.

Also, I have a "thing" for seafoam green after seeing a brand new batch of Charvel Spectrums arrive in Rose Morris in Denmark Street, London, back in the 80s - I had never seen anything so beautiful.

So, given that this is to be my sole electric, I decided to go crazy. As I love both coral and seafoam I swapped the bodies, got Rich Rendall in the UK to then do a seafoam over coral relic job. I also put an Axis HB in the bridge as that's the best bridge sound I've ever heard. Thanks to Knuckleheads for help with wiring it up (on another thread).

So, how did it work out? Well, I love it! I know that the majority of people viewing will think me crazy, and I've certainly destroyed any resale value, but this isn't getting sold. It's a veritable do-it-all modern supers**at that sounds great, feels great, and looks just the way I want it to. What's not to love? I thought you guys might like to see it, given this is the place for all sorts of EBMM madness, although I don't expect anyone else to love it - although anyone who doesn't think that RS neck is amazing is crazy.

So, my other electrics are on the block. TBH, I think my EVH has just a hair more agression and definition (it's a touch brighter...and decades old) but that's maple over basswood. The Axis HB in the Cutlass is a bit more midrangy but gets very close. And I have those lovely single coil sounds. Bliss.
    Last edited by steveh; 12-01-2018 at 10:44 AM.

User Info Menu

I absolutely love it! I may have to hit that guy up! I’ve been looking at an Xotic with this sort of paint job, but I’d much rather it be a Cutlass.

May I ask how much the paint job was? You can PM me if you want.
    Click for my band

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Valentine Satin Natural #G77122 (8/26/16)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

I really, really like it. Well done.

User Info Menu

Looks great and certainly one of a kind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by radrock View Post
    I absolutely love it! I may have to hit that guy up! I’ve been looking at an Xotic with this sort of paint job, but I’d much rather it be a Cutlass. May I ask how much the paint job was? You can PM me if you want.
    Thanks! I didn't really expect others to like it. Just wanted to encourage others to go for their own particular fetish.

The price was very, very good (cheap actually), but I'm in the UK and the chap is in Cardiff so it won't work out for you if you're in the US.

Name is Richard Rendall - Guitar Resurrection - Home | Facebook
    He's heavily recommended on the UK Fretboard site and I have to say he was a delight to work with - very good comms and very responsive. He took great care over the job.

In particular he explained that, like most guitars post-CBS, the Cutlass has a "Fullerplast" type sealer over the wood, and a decision has to be taken to remove this or not. I decided not to (as this would have lost the Coral Red that I love almost as much as Seafoam), but at the expense of the more "authentic" relic look. In the end it worked out fine, especially once the hardware was on.

User Info Menu

Wow looks great, I'm not usually a relic guy myself, but the 2 colors really work well.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

Looks great, congratulations and happy playing!! That neck...

JPXI Cardinal Red
    JP12 Cherry Sugar
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red
    JP15 Transluscent Black
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso
    MONARCHY MAJESTY Royal Red
    MONARCHY MAJESTY 7 Black Knight
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver

User Info Menu

Fantastic!
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Wow. I tell you what, Steve. I am totally 100% not a relic guy. And I want one just like this. Damn. Really, really cool! Only thing I would do is swap the single coil covers to cream so it matches the bridge (and the pickups appear like white that has aged to cream). Maybe knobs, too.

Wow. I am loving this!

User Info Menu

Same as dibart77 - I am not a relic fan at all, but that is flat out awesome!!!
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

what's not to love? That's a great looking guitar. congrats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboogie View Post
    That neck...
    Since you ask, it would be rude of me not to:

User Info Menu

Not my thing but if YOU love it then it's all good! Enjoy this super axe!
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS Neptune Blue
    AL HH Starry Night
    AL HH Candy Apple Red
    AL MM90 Sparkle Turquoise

User Info Menu

Holy smokes ... that is flat out incredible. I want one too.

User Info Menu

Holy smoke !!!
    One of the best looking necks I have seen in my life - lucky you
    2007 Rad Red LUKE SOLD
    2008 Tobacco Burst Axis SOLD
    2013 Bodhi Blue LIII hss SOLD
    2016 Majesty Artisan Azurro