EBMM Stingray bass blue

Thread: Cutlass Volume Control Weirdness

User Info Menu

Cutlass Volume Control Weirdness

Hello!

I bought a new Cutlass HSS RS in Charcoal Frost and noticed something that might be an issue with it, but can't tell. When using the volume control, it seems like the control doesn't "kick in" until it hits 6-7 on the knob. Below that, the guitar either like there's no sound or it is very low volume.

But, this doesn't seem to be consistent across the amp models I'm using (I'm playing through either a Yamaha THR10C or a Kemper.) When using Fender-type amps, the volume doesn't "kick in" until hitting that spot on the control. For instance, the THR10C Deluxe Reverb model is almost silent until I turn the control to that setting. But when using the Vox AC10 model on the THR10C, it seems more responsive at most levels. The same is true for the Fender vs. Vox/other amps on the Kemper.

Because it isn't consistent across all amps, I don't think there's an issue with the guitar itself. Is this unique to Fender amp models? Something to do with the silent circuit? Has anyone else experienced anything like this with the Cutlass?

User Info Menu

The Cutlass has a buffered output which means that its output is completely consistent no matter what cable and/or cable length and/or pedal and/or amplifier you plug into. So my guess is that this is how the models on the THR react.

That said Iím using a THR 5 and notice no such weirdness (which suggests three things: 1) your THR10 reacts differently than my THR5, 2) I just donít notice these things, 3) you might be imagining it). Second
    Option seems most likely.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    The Cutlass has a buffered output which means that its output is completely consistent no matter what cable and/or cable length and/or pedal and/or amplifier you plug into. So my guess is that this is how the models on the THR react.
    Thanks for the reply. It must be how the Fender models react, although I didnít have this issue with my previous Fender American Professional Stratocaster. With that guitar, the THR10C was loud when the master volume was maxed and the guitar volume was maxed. With the Cutlass, I have to have the master volume on the THR10C and the guitar volume maxed out just to be able to hear anything out of the amp. Itís off putting and it making me think about returning the Cutlass, which is a shame because the guitar is phenomenal otherwise.

It is strange that the same thing happens on the Kemper too. I really donít know what to make of it.

User Info Menu

I'd give a customer service a bell first and get their take
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Ivory White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Vintage Turquoise
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    Valentine (Trem) - Toluca Lake Blue
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

User Info Menu

Hmm.. I haven't noticed any issues like this with my Luke III and my THR10. Does the luke have a buffered output as well?
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I do have the same with my Cutlass sss as well with a Fender Blues Junior 3.
    Volume on 4 - 5 and master on 3.
    I use to have a Luke 2 and there was no problem at all.
    When putting the master at 12 and the volume at 2 - 3 everything is fine.