Music Man April BFR

Thread: Replace Luke frets for Jumbo ?

User Info Menu

Replace Luke frets for Jumbo ?

Hi guys,

I'm a proud owner of a Luke I, II and III. My LIII is my main guitar and will probably be for a long time.
    I started thinking about refretting it, but with jumbo frets. I do love the feeling of jumbo, especially the control it offers while bending.

My question is : will jumbo frets affect the tone so much that I won't recognise my guitar ? The LIII already has a quite bright tone, so will jumbo make it so bright that it won't be harmonious anymore ?
    And, even more important to me, does that kind of change is morally ok ? I mean, the guitar is made after "the Master" specs, so changing such an important element could make the guitar loose its "soul".
    1994 Luke 1(Pearl Red)
    2005 Luke 2(Candy Red)
    2015 Luke 3(Bodhi Blue)

Obviously a Steve Lukather big fan !

User Info Menu

Make it your own,but whatever you do.....................don't fret.
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.

User Info Menu

It's your guitar, put the frets on it that you like. The come stock with "low profile, wide" frets, which may not be what some like. I'm actually a bit ham handed, being a bass player, so jumbo frets cause intonation issues for me. Medium jumbo seems to be my favorite.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Obviously feel would be different, but I'm thinking tone wouldn't be affected unless it was stainless steel material, then it would be brighter.
    Black Luke II

User Info Menu

I can't imagine you'll see much of a tone difference. It's all about feel really.

User Info Menu

Tone difference will be very minimal indeed. The only thing that may slightly impact the tone would be going to stainless steel frets from non-stainless ones. Would be a tad bit brighter maybe. I hate the frets Luke uses. I replaced mine on my Luke II with medium jumbo stainless steel jescar frets and I absolutely love them.