Ernie Ball CRNR Jimmy Page

Thread: Cutlass SSS tremelo smooth operation & tuning

User Info Menu

Cutlass SSS tremelo smooth operation & tuning

I just acquired an almost new Cutlass SSS (white, maple neck). Got it from Guitar Center & the case and guitar are absolutely pristine. I haven't checked the number of springs on tremelo - see a couple extra in the case. The tremelo action does not feel smooth & have tuning issues after using, at least comparing to my Petrucci model, which is smooth & rock solid on tuning. I think the Petrucci when I got it had not been played much either since the protective plastic was on the plastic on back of guitar. I did not expect any break in time for trem on Cutlass. BTW, the Petrucci model is one of the first with none of the bells & whistles on the new ones. You know back when they were $1800 new.

I'm comfortable with installing more springs but the trem is not spongy at all. Feels quite firm in fact. The strings are .10 or maybe .11.

Any suggestions are welcome. I've been wanting a strat style guitar back in my line up after giving my American 90s strat to my son because the trem wasn't usable & I've been spoiled by the trem on my Petrucci & PRS CE guitars.

User Info Menu

Cutlass SSS tremelo smooth operation & tuning

Could be the string diameter is too big for the nut slots. Might just need a pro to file the slots a bit. Or, alternatively, try some 9s and see if that works.

Would help if you know what gauge the current strings are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brian
    Jacksonville, Florida
    --

2004 Blue Pearl - Albert Lee SSS/hardtail
    2011 Metallic Blue - Albert Lee HH/trem
    2011 El Dorado Gold - Albert Lee HH/trem
    2014 Trans Walnut - Albert Lee HH/hardtail
    2018 Toluca Lake Blue - James Valentine/trem
    (and various Strats, Teles, etc.)

User Info Menu

The Cutlass comes from the factory set up for Hybrid Slinky strings .009-.046. Mine came with the bridge tight against the body so it takes more effort to work the the whammy than one with a floating bridge. Adjustments to the spring claw and saddles can easily be made to enable a floating bridge. 3 springs is the norm. Adding more springs will make it stiffer.