Ernie Ball Tremolo Pedal
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NGD - 1997 Axis Sport

User Info Menu

That looks great!
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Bebop is impressed! Great job!
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Nice job it came out great!!!!!

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

Thanks all. Certainly met my expectations and vision as a final product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 Axis Super Sport Trans Gold w/ Maple Neck
    1997 Axis Sport HSS Kandy Lime w/ Maple Neck

User Info Menu

Complete!

Last update on this one I think. Just posting the finished pics to close the loop. Finally got everything I was needing in-hand and installed. Brought this back to as close to original spec as possible with genuine EBMM humbuckers, EBMM 5 way preserving all the original splitting options, even genuine EBMM plastic strap button washers! Sounds identical to mt 2016 ASS which was the goal since all my Helix presets are built around that guitar making live changeouts seamless and easy. I think I can call this one complete now an put it into regular use without worry.

User Info Menu

Looks great, nice job!!!! You changed the dot inlays right? Axis Sports used the EBMM signature mini dots.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

Wow! That come out incredibly well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    Looks great, nice job!!!! You changed the dot inlays right? Axis Sports used the EBMM signature mini dots.

Glenn |B)
    I did not, that's the way I received but now you have me thinking. I'll take a closer look later today...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post

Glenn |B)
    So, this is interesting. It's not a detail I would have ever noticed but looking at images of other Sports from the same era none have the larger marker dots. I now have to assume that was part of the work done in the original 'Tele' conversion. I was half hoping they were stickers of some sort but they are not. They are very nicely installed though and would be hard to tell they were not factory installed. For better or worse, if nothing else, I guess it's unique...

User Info Menu

I love this guitar. It's badass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nervous View Post
    So, this is interesting. It's not a detail I would have ever noticed but looking at images of other Sports from the same era none have the larger marker dots. I now have to assume that was part of the work done in the original 'Tele' conversion. I was half hoping they were stickers of some sort but they are not. They are very nicely installed though and would be hard to tell they were not factory installed. For better or worse, if nothing else, I guess it's unique...
    Well there you go, glad I asked and your happy with them!!!

Glenn |B)

User Info Menu

NICE!!! I'm a little confused though, is that one guitar or two? It was routed SSH, and painted, so is the guitar with two H pickups a different one, or did you have the neck pickup route expanded?
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

That came out pretty awesome! Congrats!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    NICE!!! I'm a little confused though, is that one guitar or two? It was routed SSH, and painted, so is the guitar with two H pickups a different one, or did you have the neck pickup route expanded?
    Ahh, well done. Yes, when it went out it was as an HSS. And that's what I originally loaded it with. However, when I found the genuine Axis humbuckers I did have to remove a bit more body in the neck pickup area to accommodate. Then do a bit more work with some custom maple inserts to then direct mount them as they woudl have been so I didn't have to pickguard mount them. The latter would have been as tricky because there are no threaded sections on the pickup legs, just plain holes to direct mount. I wasn't thrilled about getting into the perfect paint this early on but it's not visible anyway. I was first going to use shielding paint but instead I applied copper shielding tape to the entire cavity and you can see unless you actually pulled the tape. And even then it wouldn't matter. Pickups are solidly mounted as the same height as my Super Sport.

User Info Menu

Ok, confusion lifted! That is a great color. I've always wanted an Axis SS. I just for some reason keep having trouble when it comes down to tremolo (which i don't use) or hard tail. I keep considering that for some reason I may become a whammy monster in the future. Which I won't.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck