Axis Capo
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NGD - 1997 Axis Sport

User Info Menu

1997 Axis Sport & Refinish

Hi all, I recently received this beauty. 1997 Axis Sport. Had eyed it for a while and finally bought at a price I was agreeable to. Ever since I saw Mr. Castellano's video on his Red Special homage project I have been on the lookout and this one is just about perfect. The neck and frets are in amazing condition, not even factoring age, very little signs of wear. Setup and playability and excellent. The only issues are cosmetic where someone either tried a little home relic-ing or it's honest hard use but there are several significant finish nicks and dings through to the wood as well as some wear along the top edges as seen in the pics. I have some thoughts on addressing those and welcome ideas as well. Original electronics are long gone and it's set up in Tele form. Fixed bridge, no trem. I am thinking SSS or HSS and can get a couple PG to test those ideas. Or pick up a set of Burns Brian May pickups and stick with my original plan. Original config was HSS but can anyone tell me why it would have had a battery box?

NGD - 1997 Axis Sport-97as_lrg-1-jpg

NGD - 1997 Axis Sport-97as_lrg-2-jpg

NGD - 1997 Axis Sport-97as_lrg-3-jpg

NGD - 1997 Axis Sport-97as_lrg-8-jpg

NGD - 1997 Axis Sport-97as_lrg-6-jpg
    Last edited by nervous; 05-22-2019 at 09:18 PM.
    2016 Axis Super Sport Trans Gold w/ Maple Neck
    1997 Axis Sport HSS Kandy Lime w/ Maple Neck

User Info Menu

Congratulations, have lots of fun with it =)

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237

User Info Menu

The battery box was for the silent circuit, meaning it was probably SSS or SSH pickup configuration.

Nice snag at an awesome price!!!!!!!

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

Hopefully the Silent Circuit is still in there! It's pretty handy. Great snag though.

User Info Menu

Beej, he said it was gutted. I'd take it that the silent circuit is gone.

Can't hurt to call CS and see if they'll sell you a pickguard assembly with the silent circuit if you wanted to go that route.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

Ah gotcha. Missed that.

Or get some noiseless pickups ... lots of good ones these days.

User Info Menu

Thanks all. I thought it might have been for a piezo circuit but don't think I'll miss the quiet circuit.

I just ordered a couple new I drilled PG from Chandler, SSS and HSS. Was originally HSS but I like options. Does anyone know if that's a standard strat sized, five-way switch, holes align?

At some point down the road I'd like to attempt to repair that top damage. I have a couple thoughts. Full sparkle repaint. Top sand and respray. Or, go big and have a quarter inch milled off the top, glue on some figured loveliness, maybe some binding, and ready clear coat.

Or leave it cheap and play it. ��
    Last edited by nervous; 12-13-2018 at 04:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Leave it cheap and play it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nervous View Post
    Or pick up a set of Burns Brian May pickups and stick with my original plan.

IMHO, go with the Brian May pups. This one has a slight Brian May vibe to it. Make the pups match. :-)

User Info Menu

Yeah, that was the original intention and being red already was just a bonus. I have an SSS pickguard coming so that's an easy possibility using the Burns Tri Sonic Strat sized version. Or open those PG holes up for the full sized version.

Also mulling the best HSS pickup set to best replicate the long gone originals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nervous View Post
    Thanks all. I thought it might have been for a piezo circuit but don't think I'll miss the quiet circuit.

I just ordered a couple new I drilled PG from Chandler, SSS and HSS. Was originally HSS but I like options. Does anyone know if that's a standard strat sized, five-way switch, holes align?

At some point down the road I'd like to attempt to repair that top damage. I have a couple thoughts. Full sparkle repaint. Top sand and respray. Or, go big and have a quarter inch milled off the top, glue on some figured loveliness, maybe some binding, and ready clear coat.

Or leave it cheap and play it. ��
    Leave it cheap and play it. Save the money you would've spent doing all that and put it towards another one!
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.

User Info Menu

NOOOO!!!!!
    lol I was the $500 bid for like six days. Then had a meeting when it ended!
    Enjoy man.

User Info Menu

You might find this thread useful...

Axis Sport HSS: Pickups
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

So sorry. I do feel bad. I had been negotiating with the seller from his first listing and he just wouldn't get to where I was comfortable, especially since I had additional plans and expense for it. I think this was the fourth relist that had it at the price you state so it was game on. My apologies for the snipe.

User Info Menu

Sweet! Personally I dig the Tele style... would maybe change the pups and controls to my liking (like I did on my AL tele...)
    However, do what you need to make it yours! Enjoy!
    Balls are Best!!