Mariposa Green
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question: Fret Size on Luke III PDN Starry Night Guitars

User Info Menu

Question: Fret Size on Luke III PDN Starry Night Guitars

Done some searches here but can't find anything definitive. I know the Luke III Starry Nights have stainless steel frets.

Am I correct that the size is "High profile, medium width" like the BFR Tumescents (although those don't have stainless steel frets) and that the corresponding fret specs are 095" wide x .047" tall?

Its confusing because every place they are listed online just pastes in the usual generic Luke specs.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Austin

User Info Menu

Afaik, there's only one kind of SS fretwire they use. So it'll be the same as any of the other MM instruments with SS frets.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    Afaik, there's only one kind of SS fretwire they use. So it'll be the same as any of the other MM instruments with SS frets.
    I don't know if this is the case?

Virtually all models that have SS frets are listed as "High profile, medium width, Stainless Steel".
    However, almost all the JP model frets are listed as "Medium Jumbo profile, Stainless Steel"
    and the JP6 frets are listed as "High profile, wide, Stainless Steel"

So I'm guessing there are at least 2 different types and I would assume the Luke would be using the high profile, medium width ones. It would be nice if they provided the actual height and width measurements though.

Austin

User Info Menu

They’re about the same height as a fender med jumbo FWIW.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jlbasscatcher View Post
    They’re about the same height as a fender med jumbo FWIW.
    Fender medium jumbo frets are .106″ x .036″, so maybe that's the regular Luke fret size since that seems pretty low to me (it's the lowest fret Fender uses at any rate). I would hope the Starry Night frets are larger than that!

Austin

User Info Menu

The Luke III BFR Tuesecents do indeed have SS frets

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Axis_SC View Post
    The Luke III BFR Tuesecents do indeed have SS frets
    In July, MusicMan customer service told me:
    "The frets on the Luke III Tumescent necks are 18% Nickel Silver .095" wide x .047" tall."
    And on the MusicMan website, they're not mentioned as being stainless steel.

If you go to WildWestGuitars website, they list the frets as being
    22 - Low profile, wide
    which they are not. Regardless of material, they would be High profile, medium width.
    Ernie Ball Music Man Luke III BFR Tumescent 189/300 Ebony Fretboard - Wild West Guitars

Ernie Ball customer server tells me the frets on the Starry Night are:
    "stainless steel and .039" in height and .100" in width"
    Which would make them the same dimension as regular Luke III frets.

So it appears there is a lot of incorrect information/ideas out there. Unless MusicMan customer service is not to be believed? In which case, that's a big problem!

Austin

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by austin View Post
    In July, MusicMan customer service told me:
    "The frets on the Luke III Tumescent necks are 18% Nickel Silver .095" wide x .047" tall."
    And on the MusicMan website, they're not mentioned as being stainless steel.

If you go to WildWestGuitars website, they list the frets as being
    22 - Low profile, wide
    which they are not. Regardless of material, they would be High profile, medium width.
    Ernie Ball Music Man Luke III BFR Tumescent 189/300 Ebony Fretboard - Wild West Guitars

Ernie Ball customer server tells me the frets on the Starry Night are:
    "stainless steel and .039" in height and .100" in width"
    Which would make them the same dimension as regular Luke III frets.

So it appears there is a lot of incorrect information/ideas out there. Unless MusicMan customer service is not to be believed? In which case, that's a big problem!

Austin
    Yes, I own the guitar and they're definitely SS... Ive seen them also listed as such. Let me see if I can find it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Axis_SC View Post
    Yes, I own the guitar and they're definitely SS... Ive seen them also listed as such. Let me see if I can find it
    Ernie Ball Music Man BFR Luke 3 HSS Ltd Electric Guitar Tumescent | Guitar Center

Ernie Ball Music Man BFR Luke III Tumescent (961)
    Last edited by Axis_SC; 12-22-2018 at 09:20 PM.

User Info Menu

The problem is, there's no reason to believe those listing over listing that don't list them as being stainless steal. And certainly no reason to believe them over the word of Musicman themselves.

Austin

User Info Menu

The problem is, there's no reason to believe those listing over listing that don't list them as being stainless steal. And certainly no reason to believe them over the word of Musicman themselves.

Austin
    I hear you except for the fact that I own one... Along with a JP15 with SS frets... And this particular Luke III is definitely SS.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WillyD View Post
    Hi Kvaksalver,

We have not recently offered any Luke models with stainless wire.
    When we use stainless wire on a Luke, Axis, Morse, Silhouette the size is 0.047" x 0.104". (bass wire)
    It does have a different feel compared to standard Luke wire: 0.039" x 0.100"
    Runs with Stainless fret wire:
    PDN #3 "Honey Roasted" 2012
    PDN #7 "Neptune Blue" 2014
    PDN #9 "Starry Night" 2016
    Nothing on the drawing board at the moment.

Willyd
    Should be pretty official...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kvaksalver View Post
    Should be pretty official...
    Not sure who WillyD is, but he should tell that to the people answering their customer service emails LOL.

User Info Menu

Not sure who WillyD is, but he should tell that to the people answering their customer service emails LOL.
    WillyD is Billy Imperial, who IS one of the people answering customer service calls and emails, among other things.
    ---------------
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Valentine BFR in Three-tone Burst
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

Austin, it does say he's CS if you look at his post or go to his profile.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"