EBMM Stingray bass green

Thread: Cutlass SSS: the important of pickup height

User Info Menu

Cutlass SSS: the important of pickup height

Was on the verge of returning my Cutlass SSS I got used from GC. It did not sound good at all. Pick attack was as loud as played note. I found article on factory pickup height from this forum & adjusted it to spec. Wow, really sounds good now. Did A/B comparison with an American strat with standard pickups. The Cutlass is much hotter. I would like to experiment with height to get a little more bite out of it.

I really love the off-white body & maple neck.

Next step is to replace the strings. They are in good shape but too much tension for .10 & told the guitar comes with .09s, so first owner must've replaced the strings, even though the guitar looks brand new.

Those of you who haven't used the GC used guitar inventory with 45 day return policy are missing out on a great service.

User Info Menu

I raised my pickups a little on my Cutlass. It just made it sound hotter and more to my liking.

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)
    Stingray BFR
    Natural#G59581 (10/3/17)

User Info Menu

My Cutlass came stock with 10s on it.

User Info Menu

The 2018 RS Cutlasses come stock with Hybrid Slinky M-Steels, 9 - 46.

Re: string height, for those of us with some form of home recording DAW setup, here's a little experiment to try...

Set the pickups medium high. With a clean clean, undistorted, uncompressed guitar tone, record yourself playing something.

Then set the pickups so low you would never consider doing it for real and then record yourself playing the same thing.

Now equalize the difference in volume between the two parts you just recorded and compare them.

The tonal differences are way smaller than you would ever have imagined. Repeat this little experiment a few times and tell me what you think.

I have a theory about this and I’d like to get some feedback from you all first.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

I also think that pickup height might be differ depending on what amp you use. I have a 100w tube, so I can make the pickups a tad higher without distorting. If you are running a 15w Blues Jr, you may not have the luxury of higher pickups because it will distort sooner in the amp.

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)
    Stingray BFR
    Natural#G59581 (10/3/17)