Ernie Ball Tremolo Pedal
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NGD Cutlass SSS in Charcoal Frost!!

User Info Menu

NGD Cutlass SSS in Charcoal Frost!!

Hey folks, so I finally got my hands on a Cutlass and I'm loving it. I had a choice between a Vintage Turquoise with Roasted Maple or the original version new in shipping box in Charcoal Frost for $500 less. I played both and I have to be honest the classic neck felt better to me, the fret work also seemed better on the beautifully even and dark rosewood board (There are no visible fret seams on the edges of the rosewood board). I was also getting a little bit of buzz on the Vintage Turquoise one in positions 1, 3 and 5 in high gain situations... didn't have that on the charcoal one. Either way they both sounded and felt great, but this one spoke to me more plus it's the first MM I've purchased which was in it's shipper and wasn't already man handled by gubby music store people hands. :P

Mod wise, I plan on buying a couple alternate pickguards, I'm not a big brown fan so I'll grab a black tortoise shell along with a classic .90 single ply black guard... we shall see which ones look best with the paint job, though I have used photoshop to simulate the look and it's pretty cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NGD Cutlass SSS in Charcoal Frost!!-img_3300-jpg   NGD Cutlass SSS in Charcoal Frost!!-img_3304-jpg   NGD Cutlass SSS in Charcoal Frost!!-img_3302-jpg   NGD Cutlass SSS in Charcoal Frost!!-img_3301-jpg  
    Last edited by Cenobyte; 12-21-2018 at 04:43 PM.
    Albert Lee HH

User Info Menu

Great guitar! Well done! I’m looking forward to seeing whatever you decide to do with the pick guard.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Beautiful!!! Congrats!!!
    "If you bend a string and you don't make a face; it's like eating food without tasting it." - Paul Gilbert

black sugar Albert Lee SSS - piezo
    25th Anniversary
    Dargie Delight 1 Silhouette HSH

User Info Menu

Nice, congrats, great combination!!!

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Congratulations, enjoy!!

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360

User Info Menu

Nice axe!
    Starry Night LIII HH
    Bali Burst LIII HH
    some other LIIIs
    25th Anniversary

User Info Menu

Nice guitar!!! Makes me want one!
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.

User Info Menu

Very nice! Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Brian
    Jacksonville, Florida
    --

2011 Metallic Blue - Albert Lee HH/vibrato
    2014 Trans Walnut - Albert Lee HH/hardtail
    2018 Toluca Lake Blue - James Valentine/vibrato

User Info Menu

Thanks folks, I'll be sure to post any upgrades to the guard in the new year! Been playing along to some Betty Davis today, and this guitar does the funk nicely... loving it!
    Albert Lee HH

User Info Menu

So this is interesting... I did a SN check in the SN thread and got this back:

This Cutlass RS SSS was completed on June 5th, 2018. The color is Charcoal Frost with the Rosewood fretboard.

That was surprising, I just assumed this was NOS from the Canadian distributor. So, if you look at the pics attached to my original NGD post above, this is clearly a base model Cutlass, not an RS. I'm honestly starting to wonder if something has been changed on this guitar. The reason is... I've never owned a MM guitar that didn't have 2 bar code stickers included... the large one that sits on the back of the body and the smaller one that sits on the bolt on section. Well this guitar out of the box/bag was missing the bolt on tag... i'd already been wondering about that, and now that the SN shows this as being a RS model I'm really wondering whats up! I would have preferred the RS version but limited MM distribution in Canada leaves people like me in a "get what you can when you can" situation most of the time... we have one distributor for the whole country as far as I know.

For added info I got this at Long & McQuade, at my request they ordered it directly from the distributor a day before I picked it up (their system shows MM distributor stock)... it was in the shipper, but I didn't see if it was re-taped, wish I had checked now. It looked mint upon removal from the bag, EB tag was still on the head and the included accessory envelope was unopened.

Any thoughts folks?
    Last edited by Cenobyte; 01-17-2019 at 03:36 PM.
    Albert Lee HH

User Info Menu

Might be worth an email to customer services
    Albert Lee HH - White
    Cutlass RS SSS - Ivory White
    Cutlass RS HSS - Firemist Silver
    Cutlass Hunter Hayes - Lake Tahoe Blue
    St Vincent - BFR Trans Gold
    American Vintage 59 Strat - Sherwood Green

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TrapperJ View Post
    Might be worth an email to customer services
    So I just sent my inquiry via the contact form on the MM website... hopefully that's the best method, never really had to contact customer support before for this kind of thing, I usually call directly to order parts etc
    Contact | Ernie Ball Music Man
    Albert Lee HH

User Info Menu

Either filling out the form or calling is good. I imagine with NAMM around the corner, it may be difficult to reach anyone for the next two weeks.

User Info Menu

1] gorgeous gittar!
    2] I would CALL customer service... they are awesome!
    3] Personally, I would try a vintage white / pearl pg on that. It would match the pup covers and brighten / lighten the over all look of the guitar. A black pg will just make the whole thing look that much darker... however, maybe that's what your after.
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Just thinking out loud here, but surely long & McQuade and the Canadian distributors should be able to verify this? If EBMM say this was 2018 made them it should be an RS and that will be reflected in the documentation somewhere.

Was the price consistent with the price of a RS or an old stock standard?
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.