Ernie Ball CRNR Mike Dirnt

Thread: question regarding unfinished EBMM necks

User Info Menu

Question question regarding unfinished EBMM necks

Hi,

the neck of my JP7 is a unfinished neck (no lacquer) and I really like the feel of the back of the neck. However, since I play this guitar a lot, the neck is starting to feel a bit more like a finished neck, I guess my hand/thumb is 'polishing' the neck. The neck is not dirty, so it doesn't need to be cleaned, it's only a 'feel' thing.
    Now, here's my question: what's the best way to regain that unfinished feel of the neck?

I have seen the thread on care for unfinished necks and I also watched the YT video on how to clean an EBMM unfinished neck, however, in my case the neck is not dry nor dirty, so I'm not sure of the oil-soap and gun-stock oil/wax would be the right thing here?

thanks in advance!
    my website - free licks - some of my music

I offer online guitar lessons on Skype in different styles. Send me a PM if interested.

my 1st EP 'Sonic Sketches' is out now (instrumental prog metal)

User Info Menu

Pretty sure what you're feeling is the oil and wax wearing off. A reapplication should make it feel like it did when you first got it, since it will have you sand down the remainder of the original application.

User Info Menu

might be time for some wonder wipes, or maybe even some more wax or oil.

Also, make sure you keep your hands relatively clean. It's much harder to get the gunk out of an oiled neck than it is out of a finished neck.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Trust the video.
    Guitarist, Keyboardist, owner of the Academy of Noise and the Red Door Studio.
    Kansastribute.com

Armada, Gamechanger reflex, Y2D, JP6,, 25th Anniversary Reflex
    3 Stratocasters, RG3120, Variax, Stingray Bass.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input, guys!
    I am going to use the gunstock oil and wax, but I don't think I want to use sandpaper on the neck.
    my website - free licks - some of my music

I offer online guitar lessons on Skype in different styles. Send me a PM if interested.

my 1st EP 'Sonic Sketches' is out now (instrumental prog metal)