EBMM Stingray bass green
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many of you are playing modelers?

User Info Menu

Not sure if it counts as modelling per se but ya home I play through my THR5 97% of the time. I was just given an iRig HD2 for Christmas (not yet unboxed but may be useful) but I still love my modded Laney LC15-110 as a clean platform for pedals.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Sold my mesa boogie mark V and 2x12 to buy an axefx2xl+ because it wasn't fitting my recording/rehearsing/practicing/moving around and even gigging needs.
    It sounded great, but I'm far more happy using direct PA system connection and having a collection of sounds
    And my back hurts less.
    JP12 Cherry Sugar (Piezo, Inlays, Headstock) Born 05/14/12
    JP7 Pearl Redburst (Piezo, inlays, headstock) Born 02/13/04
    Sold : JP6 Blue dawn & JP6 Mystic dream
    Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
    Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
    https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

User Info Menu

I dabbled in Line 6 gear for years but it never felt “right” and was a PITA to setup. Last month I got a Headrush Gigboard and powered speaker and so far it’s a keeper. The amp models sound really natural, the effects are awesome, and the interface is so easy to use. I like being able to load custom IRs, I even have a few acoustic guitar IRs that make my JP piezo pickup sound like a Martin. I always thought of my Mesa Mark V as a tonal Swiss army knife, but I think it may be replaced by the Gigboard...
    Cutlass SSS in Tobacco Burst
    JP6 w/piezo in Black Sparkle

..plus a bunch of other guitars and gear.

User Info Menu

My current and longest tenured amp (3 years) is an Orange Rockerverb MKIII 100W. That amp and a handful of pedals covers all of my needs. While it has a great master volume I bought a Rivera RockCrusher for additional attenuation, direct out and speaker modeling. I also bought a Yamaha THR10 as a travel amp to take on camping trips etc.

The AxeFX III has seriously piqued my interest in modeling again and as a result will most likely be one of this year's must have purchases.

fred
    Play Ball!!

User Info Menu

Both - still prefer my tube amps and pedalboard, but I also have a Helix that I worked for several years to dial in to try to come as close as I could to the tones of my amp/pedalboard. Still not there, but have suitable enough to use when the venue either requires it, or it makes good sense to use.
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Made the full commitment almost a year ago, Started with a L6 Helix Floor, downsized with a couple HX Stomp, recently returned to the HX Floor and will keep one Stomp for backup. Love these.
    2016 Axis Super Sport Trans Gold w/ Maple Neck
    1997 Axis Sport HSS Red w/ Maple Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wesman11483 View Post
    I know this is probably a cliche, but I get a lot of my dynamic changes from how heavy or light I strum, so as jmmp said, there's just something to hearing/feeling it from a cab. Maybe my sound guys just aren't giving me enough (and I've never loved in ears)...I always get compliments on my tone...I just always feel like there is "something" missing...

i get it. So you are going direct into the board off the modeler and into in-ear monitors. I donít think I would be into that at all, but I havenít tried it either.
    Click for my band

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Valentine Satin Natural #G77122 (8/26/16)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

While I've thought about modelers for years I haven't broken away from my '05 SLO-100 as it gives me the sound and feel that I like to experience when playing live. I've been toying with the idea of picking up something like the Bias Head from Positive Grid since it gets incredibly close to the sound of my amp (with the SLO patch), weighs a lot less, and gives me the flexibility of other amp sounds. Now that Mike Soldano has retired my particular SLO is not replaceable, but a modeler would be.
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://www.DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

Axe-FxIIXL+ and UAD -- my Bogner is collecting dust!

User Info Menu

Two separate issues at play here.

1) Dynamic responsiveness. This, imo, was a sorta common problem in the first few years of modeler popularity. The clean patches sounded clean. The heavy ones sounded heavy. Which is fine, because honestly, any regualr amp set up for those extremes tends to behave pretty similarly. But the in-between patches tended not to respond to changes in volume or pick attack in the way you'd expect. But that really hasn't been a widespread issue for, like, a WHILE. Even at the very affordable end of the digital market, you'll find models that react VERY well to dynamic shifts. Look at the practice stuff from Yamaha, Vox, Boss and others. Suuuuuper impressive.

2) The sound of a cab: Yeah, I mostly agree. In a big enough space, the solution is to run into a cab for you on-stage sound, and DI to the board for the house sound. You get the feel of playing a "real" amp, and the audience gets the carefully controlled sound of a proper mix. But most rooms aren't big enough for that. So: IEMs. I've never had any headphone guitar experience that was wholly satisfying, but then, the show is for the audience.

I know this is probably a cliche, but I get a lot of my dynamic changes from how heavy or light I strum, so as jmmp said, there's just something to hearing/feeling it from a cab. Maybe my sound guys just aren't giving me enough (and I've never loved in ears)...I always get compliments on my tone...I just always feel like there is "something" missing...

User Info Menu

At the studio I've done some work for I've used a Kemper quite a bit and I think it sounds really good. That was with the help of seasoned recording engineer though. I am still a little intimidated by all the banks and patches on these modelers so for my personal use I am playing through a Meas JP2C and a Revv Generator 7-40.

User Info Menu

I am a fan of in ears. I use them when playing out, and I believe my tone there is better than when I play at home, but a big part of that is being “disconnected” from the amp. I’m usually too busy doing other things (remembering parts, communicating with the band) to worry about feel of the modeler, but the tone in my ears is glorious (to me). I don’t think the sound guy turning up me or down would change the feel, even if we used wedges.

The best way I can describe the feel of my amps, is that they push back against me playing the note. Like it’s a fight between me and the amp/cab. Through the modelers, it feels more like they’re doing their magic to my signal, but like the guitar is the only instrument.

I do find modelers react to the changes in picking dynamics. Maybe not the exact same way as the amp being modeled, but dynamic enough for my uses.

I owned a Kemper for a little while, and I would say it felt the most real.
    JP6 Pearl White born 1/11/11
    Majesty Monarchy Imperial Blue born 1/23/18
    Cutlass SSS Ivory White born 6/13/16
    Stingray RS Firemist Silver born 6/5/18
    Sub1 born 5/26/04
    Cutlass HSS BFR Smoked Chrome #21/54 born 12/6/18
    Mesa Boogies

User Info Menu

Interesting thread and one I have been thinking about.

I tend to dial in my dirty sound and my clean sound and that's it. I have a number of amps in my studio that ostensibly I bought to allow some sonic options -- Carvin V3, Carvin Legacy II, Mesa Triple Crown, 5150 II, 5150 III, Mojave Peacemaker, Mojave Dirty Boy, Panama Fuego X -- but I tend to dial them in all the same. (I also have my old rack rig, which, honestly, I have not powered up in a year). LOL. You get subtle differences based on the amp, but they all mostly sound like me. My current live rig is the Mesa Triple Crown, a 4 space rack that mainly houses my TC G System and Crybaby rack wah, and my pedalboard including the TC controller.

Having said that, I am always "that guy" at the gig who has 23 things to load in and setup (and a bad back, to boot). When the drummer can load out faster than the guitar player, you got problems.

So, I have been really intrigued by modelers but have not taken the plunge, mainly because of what I said above -- I don't need 1000 amp models as I just set it to my sound. I am actually not much of a tweaker...

The reviews I have read (Premier Guitar, etc.) on the AxeFX III are pretty stellar. But I have been worried about:

1) what a lot of folks have mentioned above about that push/pull symbiosis between the guitar and the amp. People say the AxeFX models tube "sag" well, but I still think there's a real dynamic that impacts how I play. What jmmp@ said above about the amp being an instrument itself. So, worried about losing that.

2) I tend to dial in my sound in 1 minute and forget it. I DO NOT want to spend hours on hours building virtual rigs and tweaking things. And I DO NOT want to sit there tweaking virtual microphone placement and virtual cabinet impedance or virtual amp bias to try to get a sound.

I'm kind of curious about: How easy is it to get an AxeFX, fire it up, download or recall like, an EVH Brown Sound rig with all of EVH's chorus, flanger, whatever and just say "Well, that was easy!" and start rocking?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dibart77 View Post
    I'm kind of curious about: How easy is it to get an AxeFX, fire it up, download or recall like, an EVH Brown Sound rig with all of EVH's chorus, flanger, whatever and just say "Well, that was easy!" and start rocking?

Very easy. There are a couple of really great sources for Fractal tones that you can load in a matter of minutes and they are already tuned to go. Typically come in packs, so you pick pick a couple of your favorite clean, low, and higher gain tones, drop them side-by-side and you’re done.
    ďI believe every guitar player inherently has something unique about their playing. They just have to identify what makes them different and develop it.Ē EVH

'14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP - Black Cherry Burst
    '14 ASS Semi MM90 - Honey Burst
    '16 Axis - Trans Gold Quilt

Fractal AX-8
    Bad Cat 2x12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dibart77 View Post
    Having said that, I am always "that guy" at the gig who has 23 things to load in and setup (and a bad back, to boot). When the drummer can load out faster than the guitar player, you got problems.

I’m becoming that guy too! I just built a new pedalboard with a Mastermind PBC Switcher, so that has brought a new level of complexity. I run stereo, so that requires I bring a 2nd amp. Plus my theremin, my synth toys on a table, and both the theremin and synth table each need a mic stand. Plus one guitar.

My main amp is an Engl Raider and the stereo signal runs through a Tech 21 power engine. But I only haul all of that out for long gigs. For a 45 minute set, I’ll bring my Engl Screamer, a footswitch, a DM-3 delay and a Moog ring modulator. It’s nice to have the big setup at a gig, but is definitely more exhausting.

An AxeFX3 would be nice, but most places we play don’t have a P.A., so I guess you would have to take an amp anyway, even with a modeler.
    Click for my band

Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Valentine Satin Natural #G77122 (8/26/16)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)